Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 11:41 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,266 times

Advertisements

I live on a "Heritage" road, directly across from a scenic view. Motorcycles (especially the ones that sound like lawn mowers) are so frequent, it can be annoying, but the thing I really hate are these new car high beams that shoot 80 degrees up & out. At night, if I'm on my front porch (which sits back from and up from the road) at night, these cars driving by light up my yard (and my porch) like a car dealership. I wish they'd redesign those. It's unnecessary. A high beam should shoot up and straight ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 11:48 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
I live on a "Heritage" road, directly across from a scenic view. Motorcycles (especially the ones that sound like lawn mowers) are so frequent, it can be annoying, but the thing I really hate are these new car high beams that shoot 80 degrees up & out. At night, if I'm on my front porch (which sits back from and up from the road) at night, these cars driving by light up my yard (and my porch) like a car dealership. I wish they'd redesign those. It's unnecessary. A high beam should shoot up and straight ahead.
Adaptive headlights, most likely. I think Acura started it (horizontal line of them) and Cadillac followed next (vertical), with like 5 lenses that all shine in slightly different directions.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:00 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
This is VERY enlightening, but, honestly, I think we will fit in very well because we LOVE trees, we LOVE dogs, and we LOVE being able to see the stars without having the glare of city or residential lights! Also, btw, the house will be centered in our 1.5 acre lot and it will only be about 1500 s.f. plus garage. And we think Starbucks is VERY overrated and WAY over-priced, LOL.

The only thing we really disliked when we lived in rural Maine was having to take our garbage to the town dump until we learned that there was a private company who would do that for us (for a fee, of course), but I just learned that the town we will be moving to HAS trash pickup -- YAY!!

(Btw, I can't imagine any intelligent person being racist these days, and I just hope that I won't encounter that.)

Old 11-14-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Hell.. I'm in the deep south and I never run into that here at all. And it's supposedly worse here? Matter of fact, I've NEVER lived in a place like what you're describing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I think they must be talking about ex-CA residents moving "out" to Denver.
Sorry, ddm2k, but I don't understand that post. Can you explain, please?

(Yes, I' am an ex-California resident now living in a Denver suburb, but I don't understand why you posted the above in response to writerwife's post if you are referring to me personally.)

Last edited by katharsis; 11-14-2018 at 12:12 PM..

Old 11-14-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Sorry, but I don't understand that post. Can you explain, please?

(Yes, I' am an ex-California resident now living in a Denver suburb, but I don't understand why you posted the above in response to another post if you are referring to me personally.)
Certain cities have become very popular destinations for those no longer wanting to take part in big city life. There is a certain sentiment that some natives hold against new, first-generation residents, whether communicated directly or not. In select cities, the destination has been so popular that the town is no longer small and looks more like the place that the newcomers left.

Denver came to mind first. Then Seattle. Then Portland. Then Dallas.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Certain cities have become very popular destinations for those no longer wanting to take part in big city life. There is a certain sentiment that some natives hold against new, first-generation residents, whether communicated directly or not. In select cities, the destination has been so popular that the town is no longer small and looks more like the place that the newcomers left.

Denver came to mind first. Then Seattle. Then Portland. Then Dallas.
Yes, when we came to Denver in 1986 (my husband was stationed at Lowry AFB for a time, and he really liked it here), it was VERY different than what it is now, as was the whole Front Range, which is getting more and more crowded and more and more liberal -- and, yes, I do know people who resent that very much.

I guess that is one of the reasons why I want to try very hard to "fit in" when we move to Wisconsin, although I really can't see us ever becoming part of the "beer and hunting" culture! (However, we will keep our moths shut about that as much as possible, but as far as racism is concerned, we haven't encountered any Wisconsinites making any disparaging remarks about any minorities yet, and we just hope that we won't in the future, either.)

Btw, as another side note, I have NEVER understood why someone would want to move someplace because they found it attractive, and then try to CHANGE that! Well, I could understand it we are talking about someone who was "forced" to move because of a spouse's job or family situation, but if someone voluntarily moved there . . . smh.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Yes, when we came to Denver in 1986 (my husband was stationed at Lowry AFB for a time, and he really liked it here), it was VERY different than what it is now, as was the whole Front Range, which is getting more and more crowded and more and more liberal -- and, yes, I do know people who resent that very much.

I guess that is one of the reasons why I want to try very hard to "fit in" when we move to Wisconsin, although I really can't see us ever becoming part of the "beer and hunting" culture! (However, we will keep our moths shut about that as much as possible, but as far as racism is concerned, we haven't encountered any Wisconsinites making any disparaging remarks about any minorities yet, and we just hope that we won't in the future, either.)

Btw, as another side note, I have NEVER understood why someone would want to move someplace because they found it attractive, and then try to CHANGE that! Well, I could understand it we are talking about someone who was "forced" to move because of a spouse's job or family situation, but if someone voluntarily moved there . . . smh.
I would relish the countryside if it meant my dollar went further (often the case when working remotely and getting to keep your big-city salary) and not want to change a thing!

Congrats on Wisconsin!

Old 11-14-2018, 03:34 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Hell.. I'm in the deep south and I never run into that here at all. And it's supposedly worse here? Matter of fact, I've NEVER lived in a place like what you're describing.

This. Small town or large, I've never run into this stereotype.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:37 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
This is good for learning how things operate, but it is a two-edged sword also. Can easily become an excuse for stagnation and narrow-mindedness if it is mindless conformity.

Please, don't EVER move to a small town or to the country. You are giving strong indications of being exactly the kind of citiot that moves to the country and then tries to turn it into the city.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:41 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,561,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
This. Small town or large, I've never run into this stereotype.
Unfortunately, attitudes like this still exist in not only western Pennsylvania (where I now make my home), but in Appalachian Ohio (where I grew up). As a matter of fact, I've seen more Stars and Bars flying high and displayed on bumper stickers in the past several years in both of the aforementioned places than I ever saw in over a decade of childhood summers spent "Down East" in North Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living