Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 04:19 PM

6,873 posts, read 4,873,766 times

Advertisements

It aggravates me when people move to the country and think they no longer need to keep their dogs fenced in. Then they are upset when it gets shot for chasing/killing livestock.

I have returned a new neighbor's lovely German Shepherd to them twice now. I saw him wandering down the highway again a few days ago. I didn't have time to pick him up. Sooner or later he will be roadkill or get shot. Had I been headed home I would have picked him up, kept him for a few days, then turned him over to animal control. Actually, I better not keep him for a few days. I would probably fall in love.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 04:21 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
As to those dogs let run around free, they often get in packs of 4 to 6 and go out a few miles, and think it is great fun to run horses and cattle.

The farmers and ranchers (I grew up on a large ranch, 2 miles by road from town and closer by other ways) would do as we did, shoot them, and call the sheriff, who would send out someone to pick them up, and fine the owners using their tags to find the owners. If they did damage to animals, they would put that on the ticket and the judge would order them to pay for the damages.

I had a prize winning heifer with one of the best pedigrees in the country, that one dog bit off last 2 feet of tail. Dropping her from a valuable animal, to regular cow value. That little problem cost those 4 dog owners a hundred dollars each for me, and a hefty fine from the county for letting their dogs run free plus causing damage to livestock, which increased the fine.

Those people that had moved to a small town so their dogs could run free, hated the ranchers and farmers for killing their dog, and getting them big fines and often damages for what their dogs did.

People that move to a small town and let their dogs run free are a big pet peeve to me, even if I no longer live on a farm or ranch.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:43 PM

9 posts, read 5,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEN2RION View Post
The garbage thrown out the car windows when they’re driving thru our isolated and rural roads. It’s happens most during the summer and holiday weekends.
Don't worry, people like that aren't picking on just you. They are like that everywhere, even in the cities. Maddening, isn't it?

Old 11-14-2018, 05:46 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

Again, thinking people live in rural areas actually want things to change so they will be just like urban areas. Ever think they prefer "stagnation" and tradition.

Read my post again. IF mindless conformity is the norm, that’s when stagnation happens. Just following tradition isn’t necessarily mindless conformity. The tradition might be based on good common sense.

Failure to think independently—regardless whether city or rural person—is the real stagnation.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:50 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,130,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Sounds about right. Rural places up North have to be experienced to be believed.

People easily forget that once you're out of the larger cities things can be completely different. Deep South you might be more likely to see small towns that are predominately Black.

I'm originally from a small town in CT.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:58 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Please, don't EVER move to a small town or to the country. You are giving strong indications of being exactly the kind of citiot that moves to the country and then tries to turn it into the city.
Nope, your assumptions are way off. I moved to a rural area because I like it and do not want to turn it into a city or a suburb. Being open-minded is NOT strictly a trait of city dwellers. Nor is being a city dweller a guarantee of open-mindedness.

Hate to break it to you, but telling people you ASSUME never lived in a rural setting—and that you don’t even know—that they don’t belong there is like a form of racism itself.

I am happy we are here, so too bad for your wish!

PS: I don’t give a hoot about Starbucks or malls and never did, do not and never did let dogs run loose, hate light pollution. and mind my own beeswax/let people live their own lives. I also expect that respect is mutual, not one-sided, no matter where someone came from.

Last edited by pikabike; 11-14-2018 at 06:07 PM..

Old 11-14-2018, 06:01 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,130,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Unfortunately, attitudes like this still exist in not only western Pennsylvania (where I now make my home), but in Appalachian Ohio (where I grew up). As a matter of fact, I've seen more Stars and Bars flying high and displayed on bumper stickers in the past several years in both of the aforementioned places than I ever saw in over a decade of childhood summers spent "Down East" in North Carolina.

And what has Stars and Bars flying high and displayed on bumper stickers or anything else got to do with it?

Old 11-14-2018, 06:41 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,564,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
And what has Stars and Bars flying high and displayed on bumper stickers or anything else got to do with it?
I'm not going to take part in letting this thread devolve into a political thread, but I will simply say as someone who has spent exactly half of her life in each of those two areas in which I've lived, the expected attitudes and outlooks of those who fly that particular flag (and many of these folks of whom I write are *not* random strangers whose houses and cars I note in passing) tend to align with some rather outdated beliefs in regards to those with more melanin in their skin. The shoe definitely fits the foot, to be more succinct.

It was pretty rare that I saw a flag other than the Stars and Stripes on the island during those North Carolina summers--and most of the residents there were fourth generation and beyond locals. (These people were so Southern and had lived in relative isolation for so long that they had their own particular dialect--I kid you not. It was pretty cool in hindsight.)

Some outsiders are shocked that Yankees would fly that flag; knowing the history of the area in which I was raised and that of which I currently live, I'm not surprised in the least. Western Pennsylvania, after all, isn't all that far from the Mason-Dixon line, if you know what I mean; more than a few of those Appalachian Ohio counties had unwritten "sunshine laws" within living memory. Old habits and prejudices take a while to die in these areas.

That being said, life in a rural area or a small town can be great if you're able to accept that changes happen very gradually. You get to know your neighbors rather quickly. If there's a death, birth, or other life event going on, there are usually hands to help. (Food will be brought to the house so you don't have to cook for at least a week!) Kids often have an enviable amount of freedom to roam and explore. The older folks tend to age in place due to the support from nearby trusted neighbors, friends, and family. The opening of hunting season is its own post-Thanksgiving holiday. Most people are, at least on a case-by-case basis, pretty darn nice, if a bit clannish.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:11 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Unfortunately, attitudes like this still exist in not only western Pennsylvania (where I now make my home), but in Appalachian Ohio (where I grew up). As a matter of fact, I've seen more Stars and Bars flying high and displayed on bumper stickers in the past several years in both of the aforementioned places than I ever saw in over a decade of childhood summers spent "Down East" in North Carolina.
Stars and Bars dont equal racism.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:15 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Read my post again. IF mindless conformity is the norm, that’s when stagnation happens. Just following tradition isn’t necessarily mindless conformity. The tradition might be based on good common sense.

Failure to think independently—regardless whether city or rural person—is the real stagnation.
Now that's totally different or clear. Agree, but as you said not specifically a rural thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living