Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 03:40 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times

Advertisements

Newcomers who feed the cute little black bear cubs and raccoons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 08:35 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Sometimes controlled burns are the only way. We are now clearing phragmites (an invasive marsh plant) from a marsh and the procedure is to hit the plants with a RoundUp derivative in the mid-Fall followed by controlled burning three to five weeks later.
When I saw land owners burning vegetation at their property edges, that was my first thought: burning weeds that either had spread from an adjacent property or had not been eradicable by other ways, due to the presence of a fence.

It is a short term temporary burn, so not too bad—except when somebody burns on a windy day.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:40 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
I see your point, but is burning really the only way, even when it's bad for human health and the health of the environment?

Sometimes some things do need to be changed.

But like I said, I didn't know this went along with living in a farming community or I'd probably not have bought the property. Sometimes things pop up after you buy a place that your research did not prepare you for.

BUT... I'll note here that I am NOT trying to change it. It's just something I wish they didn't do.
You are an outsider, that has moved into a rural area, and immediately want them to change. You are what the rural locals, hate. You want change, when they know what is best for them to be able to keep farming.

When one moves to the rural areas of the country, then immediately want changes made, you become one of the things they hate about new comers. This is why so many find it difficult to be accepted in the country living life style.

They would have changed it a long time ago, if there was as good or better way to do it. For certain crops, burning the fields, is the only way proven to work consistently. It comes down to, burn the fields, or end up being driven off the farm when farming cost more to do than it brings in. Then the price of food goes up in the cities, because farmers were going under because of the inability to farm and make a profit doing it.

To protect your home, do as we do. Even when forest fire smoke lowered the air quality from 100 mile visibility to under 4 block visibility our home had clean air inside.

We replaced our central heating, air conditioning filters with electronic air filters. They changed our home from dirty filthy air, to clean in a matter of a couple hours, and as we set the fans to run constantly to clean air till the smoke was gone from the area. Have used them for 20 years.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Web-20-i...SFPR/100351661

You buy the exact size you need, or one size larger. You then adjust the frame the size you need, then trim the filler to fit the frame. The really will take the type of smoke you have, out of the air and you will have clean smoke free air, and neighbors using old style filters will have a house full of smoke.

As the particles pass through the outer levels, it gives them a magnetic charge, and the charge will make them cling to the fibers in the middle of the filter. Voila no smoke in the home. In addition, it takes out most of the dust in the air to keep a cleaner house, and it also removes pollen.

We would not use any other filter, and as you can wash them and reuse them year after year, there slight more cost sets you up to save a lot of money over the years not buying replaceable filters.

Last edited by oldtrader; 11-18-2018 at 01:26 PM..

Old 11-18-2018, 06:53 PM

20,058 posts, read 20,872,330 times
"You know what we really need here is..."

We? What do you mean "we"?
City folk come out here to escape the city and hustle and bustle and then suggest the "we" need a 7-11, a department store, streetlights, or whatever other stupid urban creature comfort.
Really? Go home pal.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:35 AM

827 posts, read 660,937 times
Newcomers that want to change everything like the place they came, Maybe you should stayed in the place you came from.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:50 AM

192 posts, read 258,039 times
You sound like you're from Nashville, TN. The only way is to buy a very large lot or acreage with a home smack in the middle of it. The reason they build homes closer together and to the front of properties is the cost of utilities and water lines. I considered what you are saying when I bought in town, and bought where there is an alley on two sides and a street on a third leaving only one side vulnerable to development.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:31 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Their desire to turn the new location into the crappola place they just fled by demanding the same things they had before in their former location.

You left because you had high taxes, a gazillion laws and regulations, traffic congestion and then you get to the new place and whine when you don't have the same things that made your taxes high in the old place. Then, when your local taxes go up in the new place to support everything you have to have, people who lived in that town for decades can no longer afford to live there.

But my favorite is newcomers who whine that the people living in the new place are stupid so they are moving again. Well, who's the stupid one who spent all of that money and uprooted their spouse and/or children to move to a place for which they were so ill-suited?

Old 11-26-2018, 11:50 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,278,236 times
Quote:
I see your point, but is burning really the only way, even when it's bad for human health and the health of the environment?

So you think hosing the place down with Roundup would be better?

Old 11-26-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Newcomers who feed the cute little black bear cubs and raccoons.
Or the stupid woman that went to Yellowstone National Park a few years ago, that wanted a picture of her toddler feeding Grizzly Bears, so she smeared the child's hand with Honey, and had the child hold out her hand while she got ready to take a picture, and the bear took off the child's hand at the wrist.

Or a group of tourists going to the same park office, and telling the rangers, they are supposed to do something to make the grizzlies and buffalo come down to and stick around the ranger station, so the visitors from the city, can see them.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:21 AM

Quote:

Some people still do not get it. Some people still do not get it. Farmers use the latest techniques to farm, and make a profit, because if they don't, they take a chance of going broke, and losing the farm.

For many crops, burning the fields is the only real solution. If they used enough chemicals to do the job, they would risk contaminating the local water supply, so they are not allowed to use them. The poison in those chemicals, are a lot more dangerous in the water supply, than effects of smoke on people. You can eliminate any smoke getting into your home, but you cannot filter deadly chemicals out of the water supply.

Last edited by Count David; 11-27-2018 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: fixed quoting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living