Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2023, 07:54 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,020,627 times

Advertisements

Great thread. I'm rural and am also witnessing all the misdeeds mentioned in this thread. My area has been flooded with newcomers in the past 3 years (Covid refugees) and things have gone downhill ever since. (Well, everything except real estate/housing prices)

Two winters ago the county finally had to publish a lengthy article in the local papers instructing people to stop calling government agencies and even the police regarding snow removal, and informing everyone that the county does not plow private roads/driveways. I bet those poor guys could write a book about all the stupid calls they get from new residents angry about snow berms at the end of their driveway or that their road wasn't plowed by exactly 8am and they can't get out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2023, 08:21 AM

12,851 posts, read 9,067,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Driving up real estate prices. Land prices around me have increased 3-400% in the past 4 years. People fleeing HCOL areas that are flush with cash from selling their homes are pricing locals out of the market.
Seen that happen to several places around here. Completely changes the character of a community when the builders see it and start building McMansion neighborhoods like those people just left. They have so much cash from the house they sold in California it drives prices out of reach of not just locals, but recent grads coming here for jobs. The age balance starts to shift because we aren't getting many young people and couples moving in -- they can't afford the houses anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
This is more of an annoyance than a 'tick me off' but I've occasionally heard people complain about there being 'nothing to do' in rural areas like ours. Well, this is mostly an outdoor enthusiast environment. We do have some cultural offerings - not many - but we try to live quiet lives closer to the 'land.' If you want things to do, you have to find and pursue those opportunities.

If they wanted lots of 'things to do' they should have moved to a more urban area.
Thing is, there are actually lots of things to do, not just outdoors. There are so many festivals going on now that you can find something just about every weekend. There's like a dozen different events within driving distance of me these next couple weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The ones I enjoy are those looking for "rural, affordable town with progressive politics within ten minutes of a world class health center and cultural events and a downtown foodie scene with numerous ethnic restaurants and shopping".
Rep points for that one. Had a coworker who moved in from California. Let us know every day how much better California was for all those reasons. One day they were complaining about there not being an opera around here, so I asked, "do you really like opera?" and the answer was no. "Did you ever go to the opera in California?" Again "no." Then they added that it was just because there was an opera there and not one here, not that they would actually go to one. Makes no sense to me that you would pick a place to live because it has things that you don't like but sound sophisticated compared to us hillbillies. But we do have an Opry.

Old 11-04-2023, 10:06 AM

9,465 posts, read 5,233,195 times
Quote:
The ones I enjoy are those looking for "rural, affordable town with progressive politics within ten minutes of a world class health center and cultural events and a downtown foodie scene with numerous ethnic restaurants and shopping".
LOL!!!! I get you completely!
I will say, we do have some fantastic restaurants, and not far away either. You have to travel a bit.
Hill Farmstead is a brewery out where God Lost His Shoes here in VT. It's been ranked the best brewery in the world. We love our craft beer here (if you can afford $15/4-pack ).

If I want cultural events, I could go to Montreal or I could fly into NY (either is only an hour away).

Old 11-05-2023, 04:00 AM

961 posts, read 2,504,988 times
Default .."Open Range"

Quote:
Well said...I would add to your list of their "wants"...great properties at modest prices, first class public schools, local coffee shops with a local art scene..and of course...the area has to have a certain "vibe" to it.
Here's an additional experience that left me shaking my head. Now..I live in a rural part of upstate NY. But..it is not, Wyoming or Montana. Ran into a newbie (purchased a home on a lot just beyond my farm). He was cutting firewood on some of my more secluded acreage. Asked him why he didn't approach me first to ask permission. His response, " I thought this was open range". Sure...and a herd of Buffalo just wandered through here....

Old 11-05-2023, 06:08 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,060,186 times
Quote:
I remember when one poster complained that we were being mean for telling her that such a thing does not exist in Ohio. They also tend to want affordable land, which has not existed for decades. I posted a map of the 2016 presidential election in Ohio. I won't re-post it, as it is ancient history. Suffice to say that large cities are progressive, and everything else, with few exceptions, is conservative.

Old 11-05-2023, 07:53 AM

788 posts, read 1,742,825 times
I'm in a small Wyoming town. Seems the COVID refugees are getting bored and starting to leave. And we got one of the worst winters on record last year could be part of it. Lots of houses came on the market past 6 months but at around 50% more than precovid. They aren't selling - out of reach to the local workforce and the interest rates increase doesn't help.

Old 11-05-2023, 08:13 AM

8,051 posts, read 10,642,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

Join local facebook groups to get a feel for your new community. We have several in our town, and everyone who is anyone is in them... .)

LOL, in my rural community, those are EXACTLY the types I've learned to avoid like the plague.....

Old 11-05-2023, 08:32 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
LOL, in my rural community, those are EXACTLY the types I've learned to avoid like the plague.....
Even worse are the ones who get politically involved and decide to run for office. You should see our local letters to the editor now that the dreaded election season is upon is...I feel like I'm reading elementary school 'he said/she said' tattles, and the candidates who aren't "local" get massive amounts of pushback because of it.

Old 11-05-2023, 08:33 AM

1,305 posts, read 857,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I remember when one poster complained that we were being mean for telling her that such a thing does not exist in Ohio. They also tend to want affordable land, which has not existed for decades. I posted a map of the 2016 presidential election in Ohio. I won't re-post it, as it is ancient history. Suffice to say that large cities are progressive, and everything else, with few exceptions, is conservative.
Hmm, when I lived in Ohio, I considered Wooster to be pretty danged hip! Not a big city, but still had lots of cool places and a great county fair!

Old 11-05-2023, 10:14 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,790,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya700 View Post
I'm in a small Wyoming town. Seems the COVID refugees are getting bored and starting to leave. And we got one of the worst winters on record last year could be part of it. Lots of houses came on the market past 6 months but at around 50% more than precovid. They aren't selling - out of reach to the local workforce and the interest rates increase doesn't help.
They will sell eventually when sellers get realistic about the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living