Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 12:28 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,521,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I've been thinking about giving the short-term rental thing a try myself. It's a bit more work, but you can (theoretically) make a lot more money. Like you, I need to find a way to squeeze some income out of the property I am calling home.
Carefull, do your homework; you don't want some psycho
showing up at your door.
"In Cold Blood" can happen in anywhere USA,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 05:50 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,535,127 times
Is the river a throw your boat in & float down several miles fishing or is it whitewater rafting?....because a family friend made a good summer business shuttling fishermen & their boats back to their starting place. She had a half dozen retired folks as drivers & they would haul customer's boat trailers to ending spot & then drive fisherman back in a suburban pulling trailered boat behind. She made 250k a summer.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:26 PM

19 posts, read 10,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Is the river a throw your boat in & float down several miles fishing or is it whitewater rafting?....because a family friend made a good summer business shuttling fishermen & their boats back to their starting place. She had a half dozen retired folks as drivers & they would haul customer's boat trailers to ending spot & then drive fisherman back in a suburban pulling trailered boat behind. She made 250k a summer.
It's whitewater rafting BUT someone died last weekend. My guess is, it will be a while before they start doing more runs.

They start about 30 min up river in a different town then pass by a town about 30 min from us.

Their raft flipped over, I guess....and with the snow still melting, it really is too early to be doing such recreational activities. The water level is very high this year due to a longer winter than usual.

The Road was closed for 12 hrs while they rescued the three or so individuals.

One poor soul lost his life.

I'll try to green you the link.

There is hardly any fish in the river, not sure why.Not stocked.

The campground adjacent the river is absolutely stunning, it only has 15 spots available.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:28 PM

19 posts, read 10,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
Carefull, do your homework; you don't want some psycho
showing up at your door.
"In Cold Blood" can happen in anywhere USA,
Yes but it's unlikely. I'll take my chances. Land was 50K for a reason, we have our own criminals here living full time here already

Old 05-09-2019, 10:00 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,325,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AthiestAnnie View Post
Thanks ahead for any ideas
Own 15 acres within a National Forest at 2800 feet elevation. A forest setting so the typical avenues homesteaders use to support themselves are likely not available due to terrain
Resources include:

1. Swarms of bees at a certain time of year.
2. Two Campgrounds within 30 min drive
4. Smalll Reservoir & Famous River within 30 min. Crappy fishing but ok camping & swimming
5. Some Maple trees but syrup isn't feasible
6. Mountainous, population of 50-100 residents, visitors on weekends from May-Sept

Small town of under 100 with 50% permanent residents

1 hr drive to get to either significant town of 14K-16K population.

Current net income
Ebay- Profit averages $150 wk
P/T Job- 20 hrs- $200 wk
Husband- 1k month. Due to injuries, can do some physical labor but not a lot. Some construction and he buys and repairs one car each yr. Refuses disability so please don't take time to explain why he is wrong.

We are currently involved in building a very small cabin as a rental
Benefits for my DH & I are provided by my employer. No minor children. T

Anything to do with strangers may not work out: unreliable income and could be more troubles than it is worth. Unless you try to sell retreat to churches and other organizations.
Have you tried any crafts? Quilts? Wood carvings or just interesting looking trunk parts - you preserve and sell it on Etsy, eBay or Amazon? Nature as a decor.
Seeds of wild flowers? You collect?
Grow edible mushrooms? Chickens ? See if any restaurants need some herbs, mushrooms,eggs and would be interested to buy
Writing blogs? To attract advertisers? If you have what it takes..
Manufacturing something simple but useful? For people like yourself as well as country people

Old 05-10-2019, 04:13 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Well, it sounds seasonal? Maybe you could set up some sort of campground for retreats? Or put together some sort of forestry tours? Sign up a dozen 'foresters' for a eco-tree planting session. Get trees from your local forestry division and have folks sign up (and pay, of course) for a week long tree planting camping session. Be nice if you could get some sort of famous forester to go along and explain the benefits of planting trees or some such thing. Folks can vacation, go camping and save the world all at the same time.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:59 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
Rental cabin? Who will you rent it to? Does not sound like many people live there. The largest nearby area has 100 people? Are any of them renters now? If you find a renter, what will they do for an income?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living