Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 10:36 AM

19 posts, read 10,303 times

Advertisements

Thanks ahead for any ideas
Own 15 acres within a National Forest at 2800 feet elevation. A forest setting so the typical avenues homesteaders use to support themselves are likely not available due to terrain
Resources include:

1. Swarms of bees at a certain time of year.
2. Two Campgrounds within 30 min drive
4. Smalll Reservoir & Famous River within 30 min. Crappy fishing but ok camping & swimming
5. Some Maple trees but syrup isn't feasible
6. Mountainous, population of 50-100 residents, visitors on weekends from May-Sept

Small town of under 100 with 50% permanent residents

1 hr drive to get to either significant town of 14K-16K population.

Current net income
Ebay- Profit averages $150 wk
P/T Job- 20 hrs- $200 wk
Husband- 1k month. Due to injuries, can do some physical labor but not a lot. Some construction and he buys and repairs one car each yr. Refuses disability so please don't take time to explain why he is wrong.

We are currently involved in building a very small cabin as a rental
Benefits for my DH & I are provided by my employer. No minor children. T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 02:08 PM

264 posts, read 200,595 times
Most homesteaders don't support themselves off their land in my experience. They might supplement some other income, and/or do what we do....grow their food (at about break even costs, but far better quality), get their water/heat(wood)/electric(solar setup)/sewage disposal(septic) at less cost than urban folk.

If I needed the income (we're retired and don't), I'd personally look at the rental idea....in fact, had my wife not veto'ed it, I would have built a cabin here on our place. Try that and see how it works out for short term rentals.

Last edited by Tn_eddy; 05-08-2019 at 03:09 PM..

Old 05-08-2019, 03:20 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,521,333 times
Good luck with the rental idea; through the years, I’ve had nothing but baaad luck with rental property, after many years, finally learned my lesson.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:39 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
The "very small cabin" as a rental, is that an Air BnB type thing?

Old 05-09-2019, 01:31 AM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AthiestAnnie View Post
Thanks ahead for any ideas
Own 15 acres within a National Forest at 2800 feet elevation. A forest setting so the typical avenues homesteaders use to support themselves are likely not available due to terrain
Resources include:

1. Swarms of bees at a certain time of year.
2. Two Campgrounds within 30 min drive
4. Smalll Reservoir & Famous River within 30 min. Crappy fishing but ok camping & swimming
5. Some Maple trees but syrup isn't feasible
6. Mountainous, population of 50-100 residents, visitors on weekends from May-Sept

Small town of under 100 with 50% permanent residents

1 hr drive to get to either significant town of 14K-16K population.

Current net income
Ebay- Profit averages $150 wk
P/T Job- 20 hrs- $200 wk
Husband- 1k month. Due to injuries, can do some physical labor but not a lot. Some construction and he buys and repairs one car each yr. Refuses disability so please don't take time to explain why he is wrong.

We are currently involved in building a very small cabin as a rental
Benefits for my DH & I are provided by my employer. No minor children. T
You don't say what other local workers find to do...what your competition is.

Find out what services the agency wants to offer through concession contracts? Campground maintenance? Outfitter, guide, transport shuttle, vehicle shuttling, and other support services for river visitors?
Seasonal work with the agency? Not year round, but better than nothing.
Does anyone locally have beehives? Maybe some sort of partnership with them by cultivating desirable pollen-bearing flowering plants on your property?
Does anyone raise fiber animals? Could you offer to process fiber and sell the yarn back to them?

Old 05-09-2019, 09:29 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,574,798 times
In Northern Ontario, we once rented a cabin. It was in a 20 acre property and the owners had built that cabin to rent out. AirBnB. The lady offered to cook breakfast/lunch/dinner for a small cost.
On the days she doesnt have anyone staying, she also cooks for people in the village who are willing to pay her. All she did was setup a little gazebo, add mosquito nets, make it look pretty and add a table with 4 chairs. It was a big property. So the gazebo looked like it was in the middle of a forest; though her home/ kitchen was a short 3 min walk (just well hidden from the view). I still remember the experience and it was exceptionally good.

It was a town of 500 people. She only books one family a night; so its not rough on her. Its also a preset menu consisting of simple home meals with delicious pies (whatever is in season).

Since its a small town, everyone knew this setup. She says most days she is booked. Something to think about maybe?

Last edited by Maila; 05-09-2019 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-09-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
The "very small cabin" as a rental, is that an Air BnB type thing?
No we don't get enough visitors, I believe, to justify an AIRB&B. That's my opinion but you just never know, maybe I should try renting out our main home and living on the property somewhere else for a bit? Like a tent near the river, that would be fun anyhow. Hmmm....Very intriguing. Thanks Petunia!

Old 05-09-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
In Northern Ontario, we once rented a cabin. It was in a 20 acre property and the owners had built that cabin to rent out. AirBnB. The lady offered to cook breakfast/lunch/dinner for a small cost.
On the days she doesnt have anyone staying, she also cooks for people in the village who are willing to pay her. All she did was setup a little gazebo, add mosquito nets, make it look pretty and add a table with 4 chairs. It was a big property. So the gazebo looked like it was in the middle of a forest; though her home/ kitchen was a short 3 min walk (just well hidden from the view). I still remember the experience and it was exceptionally good.

It was a town of 500 people. She only books one family a night; so its not rough on her. Its also a preset menu consisting of simple home meals with delicious pies (whatever is in season).

Since its a small town, everyone knew this setup. She says most days she is booked. Something to think about maybe?
Wow that is neat!
There is a lady just starting up doing this about 1/2 mile from the reservoir. The reviews are amazing and it is certainly her calling to do this. They haven't had visitors yet but entertain the campers nearby with a delicious dinner and entertainment from a group of hillbillies singing old songs. She dresses up like a lady from little house on the prairie and the ambulance is akin to that.

they just created 5 camp spots and 2 bedrooms in their home. I've never been so confident something is going to work out and she can use a lot of help but always wants to pay. No doubt she'd love it if she got so many she could refer them to us. We could even leave our own small cabin and rent that out. Most everything is underground and can be locked up (pantry, etc).

Thanks, this is a great idea to keep in mind if her business thrives. Not sure we want to go the AIRB&B route unless it's for less than 14 days a year due to that tax perk. Meaning you don't need to report it to IRS or pay taxes, something of that nature if it's 2wks or less.
Don't care about IRS knowing but it's less paperwork that is for sure and we prefer to stay private when possible

Last edited by AthiestAnnie; 05-09-2019 at 10:56 AM..

Old 05-09-2019, 10:59 AM

I guess that is the consensus.

1. I Work 20 hrs a week
2. Husband earns his usual 1k a month profit
3. Rental(s). Keeping an open mind to AIRB&B

I have an idea a little more...how to make #3 happen now. Thanks everyone

Old 05-09-2019, 11:42 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AthiestAnnie View Post
No we don't get enough visitors, I believe, to justify an AIRB&B. That's my opinion but you just never know, maybe I should try renting out our main home and living on the property somewhere else for a bit? Like a tent near the river, that would be fun anyhow. Hmmm....Very intriguing. Thanks Petunia!
I've been thinking about giving the short-term rental thing a try myself. It's a bit more work, but you can (theoretically) make a lot more money. Like you, I need to find a way to squeeze some income out of the property I am calling home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living