Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 08:28 PM

531 posts, read 453,184 times

Advertisements

When I was taking care of my Mom in rural Indiana (near Sparksville, which you doubtless know), I became worried about the power going out and shutting down the furnace, so I forked out the money to have a propane-powered generator installed. (We had a propane tank, which would run almost empty every winter before the truck came out to fill it.) That winter we had an ice storm and were without external power for three days. Ran the generator and survived quite well. Next year, they were fixing the damage and took out the power for two days. After that, we'd get intermittent outages for things like somebody running his car into the distribution pole. The generator was a good idea.
Water was the county pipe. I think it was off once in ten years. They would be often chasing down leaks, as a previous poster has said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 08:52 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,360,116 times
Here on Long Island, water never goes off. Electricity, maybe once or twice a year for either a few minutes or a few hours if there was a big storm.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:21 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
Lights blinked twice and then stayed on when Irma went by, otherwise no outages in 4 1/2 years that we have been at this location.

Old 07-19-2019, 11:44 PM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,669,799 times
I live in northern New England. The power goes out at least a couple of times per week, anywhere from a few minutes to a week or more, average is probably 3-6 hours. Because of that, I, and most of my neighbors, all have generators.

Old 07-20-2019, 06:55 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I live in northern New England. The power goes out at least a couple of times per week, anywhere from a few minutes to a week or more, average is probably 3-6 hours. Because of that, I, and most of my neighbors, all have generators.
Sounds like you live near me

Old 07-28-2019, 08:00 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,434,708 times
Lol, I lived in a upper class suburb for most of my life and the lights would randomly go out a few times every year (not our end).

If small towns don't have this problem I'd be very surprised.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:46 AM

732 posts, read 391,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
In the mountains of Eastern CA, we get snow. Lots some years. The power can go out as little as once or twice a year or as much as 14 days (three days at a time) as was the case in the winter 2010. We are fine with it since we have a generator and wood heat. In the winter when the power goes out we might empty the fridge/freezer and put stuff outside on the back deck.

We never lose water, gravity is a good thing. Cell service has fuel cell backup, good for over a week
Plus now you get the extra added magic of PGE turning off the power for a day or three when it's hot and windy.

Old 07-31-2019, 01:02 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Lol, I lived in a upper class suburb for most of my life and the lights would randomly go out a few times every year (not our end).

If small towns don't have this problem I'd be very surprised.
When I lived in a(n) upper middle class suburb, I lost power with every significant storm. Every few years it lasted for days. This usually happened during the dog days of summer or in February during an arctic blast.

Good times. My son, the cat, and I once shared a bed when the power cut out in the winter. We weren't prepared to go to a hotel after midnight.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:17 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
I live on the outskirts of a small borough in rural Western PA. We don't lose water all that often, but frequently a tree will fall on an electrical line after a severe storm and we'll be out of electrical power for several hours. We have LED lanterns and try to go in the refrigerator and freezer as infrequently as possible so as to keep the doors closed, no big deal. TV isn't missed all that much, because I like to read.

My oldest daughter, on the other hand, lives in rural Ohio. They have a well. When their electricity goes out, they have no water.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:29 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
When I lived in a(n) upper middle class suburb, I lost power with every significant storm. Every few years it lasted for days. This usually happened during the dog days of summer or in February during an arctic blast.

Good times. My son, the cat, and I once shared a bed when the power cut out in the winter. We weren't prepared to go to a hotel after midnight.

I remember years ago (almost 40 actually), there was a severe storm in our area. In the small town outskirt suburbs where I was still living at home, there was no power for five days. They finally fixed it, but a squirrel got in the main works, got fried, short circuited the whole thing, and the entire area was out of power for an additional three days. We took cold showers for over a week. People's food spoiled. I couldn't blow dry my hair, so I left for work every morning with wet hair and arrived early at work so I could use my curling iron in the rest room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living