Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 07:50 PM

801 posts, read 452,988 times

Advertisements

Does it go out once a year? once a month? What?
Has your water ever been unavailable? If so what was the cause? natural disaster or ?

I have a friend who lives in a rural area in Central America and his lights go out every month at least for a minute or two - maybe a couple times a year for an hour or more, and his water has been cut off several times in the last 2 years due to infrastructure problems.

I have no idea why but he says the electric co. will often turn his electricity on and off very quickly, like once every few seconds, up to 20 times in a row. Sounds crazy to me!

So I was talking to him and I said "Hmmm. I wonder if small towns in the USA or people who live outside bigger towns, in the country have this problem? I'll ask on the forum."

Just curious!
My guess is, here in the USA we don't have these kinds of problems to the degree he does. But I could be wrong!

If you could give the general area you live in (near what city or what state or both) that would be interesting to know as well.

I lived in California most of my life and my water never once was cut off, and my electricity went out maybe once per year or less. NEVER went on-off-on-off like my friend says his does!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 08:02 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,918,148 times
Rural Middle Tennessee here.

We have lived on this rural road 16 years. We rarely lose electric and if we do, most of the time it's because somebody crashed into a transformer pole on one of the roads below us. I have called the power company a few times to thank them for the great job their linemen do during those few times we have lost power to very bad weather. We have a generator but have never had to use it.

We have county water. It goes out more often and that goes in spurts. It can be due to the water company flushing the lines but more often it is due to old lines breaking and needing repaired/replaced. I have horses and we do have a live well on the property, in case something would happen to where I needed to use it to water the horses.

Too bad DirecTv can't be included in this thread --- it goes out every time the wind blows the wrong way, lollollol

Old 06-17-2019, 08:12 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
We're fairly rural.We might lost power a few times a winter, our power outages are usually weather related, during winter wind storms. Trees and limbs down on the lines. Depending on the nature and number of trees down, it might be a couple hours (usually) to a few days in really bad storms. Worst one ever was an ice storm, we were out 8 days.

We are on a well, so power outage *is* also water outage.

We store water... and we also have an emergency generator.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:38 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
The water comes from the well, the well is solar powered, and the house is down hill from the well and storage tank (2800 gals). If power went out to the boost pump, there could still be flow (but no pressure) from the storage tank either from the internal pipes or a hose connection.

There have been intermittent power outages, maybe the most of a few hours, but nothing ever major enough to bring the diesel generator into play. The stove and the water heater are gas.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:03 AM

47 posts, read 32,439 times
We have lived in northeast Colorado Springs for the last 12 years. We have not had a power or water outage to date. However, we have had two natural gas outages, one last year and one this year, both in the month of May. I do not know what caused the natural gas outages, but it was simple enough to relight the water heater. XFinity on the other hand goes out every time there is a heavy hail/rain storm and/or high winds.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:02 AM

456 posts, read 348,865 times
We live in semi-rural TX. We lose power if there's a bad ice storm, but that's been about it. We're on county water and have never lost service.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:10 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
I have no idea why but he says the electric co. will often turn his electricity on and off very quickly, like once every few seconds, up to 20 times in a row. Sounds crazy to me!
I live at the edge of a small city (25k) in the Appalachian foothills. Yesterday my power flickered on and off like like that, several times in a row, and it's not uncommon. It's usually the result of windy weather.
I don't think the power company is doing it, I rather think it's the result of old infrastructure. When I first moved here ten years ago it would go out and be out for an hour or more, many times each year. It's gotten better over the years, it still goes out pretty frequently but it's usually back on quickly. Like yesterday, it didn't even reset the clocks or computers. If I hadn't been at home to see the lights flicker I probably would not have known the power was off for a few seconds.
The only time we were without water was for a broken main and the water turned all brown until they shut it off.

Last edited by DubbleT; 06-18-2019 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-18-2019, 08:14 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
I live in Maine.

Electric power in our township goes down every 2 or 3 weeks. Sometimes it might only be for a few minutes, but it could just as easily be for 2 or 3 days. There is no way to predict how long an outage will be.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:41 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
At least 5x a year, electricity.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:50 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
County water has not gone off. Electricity has gone off several times in the 15 months we’ve lived in this house, none of them for long times. The utility company has a deservedly high rep for repairing outages very promptly. Generally the outages occur because someone ran into a power pole or similar event. That caused the one last Friday, which lasted maybe an hour or so.

Satellite for Internet access goes out more frequently, though usually for short periods.

Because I consider water supply more important than power, and power more important than Internet, this situation suits me well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living