Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2019, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,700 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, new poster here. ::waving:: I've nosed around city-data a time or two, I can see there's definitely a wealth of knowledge on this site! I don't participate in conversation boards very often (whatever they're called, obv idk lol) anyway, here I am.

Yup here I am, in my fixer, the subject of my perpetual project. It's a 75-year-old kindergarten-drawing sort of house, 1300sf, very basic. The previous owner built it with help from some friends. It's generally solid, although ugly (as in, I instantly rejected it the first time my realtor showed it to me and didn't buy it until 6 months later, at that point in a big hurry, after another deal fell through). It's on 2+ acres a few miles outside a small town, seasonal views. Yes, I've got several projects going on here, most maintenance was neglected for a year or two before me due to previous owners' illness & death, although their local relative kept up with it some.

All my houses have been fixers to one degree or another, I've only ever been able to buy from the bottom of the market. In previous times that worked out pretty well for me, but this house is becoming more of a fixer the longer I stay here, while it should of course, be the opposite. Part of my difficulty is related to a life altering brain injury I 'acquired' several years ago. It's hard to define how I'm affected by it, but one thing is I was always into DIY - within my abilities - so basically I've done everything myself forever, excluding electrical, plumbing, & anything that takes place on a tall ladder. For those jobs, I get somebody else.

Nowadays though, I have all the time in the world (until that moment when I will have no time at all, but in my belief, the mundane will be of no concern to me after my death). I'm retired, have few real obligations, but I see that my home-fix project/s are not making progress, and even regular maintenance isn't being kept up. I'm literally getting less done at home now that I don't have a full time job, how weird is that?

Currently trying to choose camera(s) for outside so I can see what's near my house (a. don't care for outside lights very much, b. there's no discreet way to look out the window day or night, and sometimes even when I'm here, I'm "not at home" to visitors for one reason & another).

So. First of all there are literally 100s of choices. Secondly, it seems security cameras and game/trail cameras are separate categories mostly, hard to decide between the two types. I already know in general terms what goes on outside my house (I spend a lot of time outside) but want to know the details of when it's too dark to see or when I'm just not outside or by a window. Mostly there's lots of wildife (bears, deer, and so on down the line in size). Bears, in particular, often linger near the house for hours, not because I left food or garbage out (no way! they'd be all over it). But they do come up the steps (sometimes sounds like a person) and I hear them moving things around in the yard, knocking stuff down, etc. (Thankfully they don't seem to realize the multiple ways they could get inside my house, a classic case of someone not knowing their own strength.) This is half of the reason I want a camera.

The other thing is, various people I don't recognize often drive their cars in here (long-ish private dirt road with only one other home a ways past mine, it's more like my driveway than it is a road). Sometimes they park outside my house, in my parking area, next to my cars. But they don't come to the door as a normal visitor would (nor do they phone me from the car, which I prefer, bc I'm so easily startled anymore). This happens at any time, literally around the clock. It's not that I'm afraid of them, but I'd definitely curious to know who it is and what they're doing.

Hmmm what else, well, my house has four sides so it would be good to have cameras pointing at each direction. Most of the bear action which I definitely want to see, is on the sides that aren't the parking area. And, sometimes the car doors open & close (still without coming to the house) and if any humans are getting out of the car & wandering around my yard at night w/o announcing themselves, I'd like to see them. As I said, I'm not scared of them, just want to know. (Maybe after seeing what they do I'll be scared of them, it doesn't feel that way to me really, but again I would surely want to know.)

If anyone has read enough of that to get the gist of it - I would so appreciate your input, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 01:05 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
What do you want to do with the camera? Game cameras typically take a picture of what trips it.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:08 PM

2 posts, read 1,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What do you want to do with the camera? Game cameras typically take a picture of what trips it.
I'd like to use it to see what goes on in my yard. I guess motion activated would be cool, do you mean the game camera wouldn't be sending a continuous stream? Only a photo of when something activates it?

Old 09-27-2019, 01:28 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldwell View Post
I'd like to use it to see what goes on in my yard. I guess motion activated would be cool, do you mean the game camera wouldn't be sending a continuous stream? Only a photo of when something activates it?
The game cameras that I'm familiar with aren't streaming but take a picture when tripped (motion activated). Now, there might be ones that are more CCTV oriented but I personally don't know of any.

https://www.cabelas.com/category/Gea.../243139680.uts

Old 09-27-2019, 06:16 PM

133 posts, read 75,215 times
This caught my eye, as I plan on buying security cameras in the future. You may get more answers in a different forum, such as the Real Estate, House, or Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness forums.

Old 09-29-2019, 03:35 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,657,325 times
I purchased Arlo Pro 2 Cameras. I can check on my cell who is at the door without audio and don't need to keep them on Live Feed unless I hear something.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:24 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Game cameras are out. Motion activated cams are not going to be satisfactory. I have a few security setups, and based on my experience, you will be most satisfied with a four or eight camera system that is WIRED to a DVR that outputs to a monitor or tv.

I have a setup where my video entertainment projects on to one wall and a smaller projector shows the security camera views on a side wall, so all I have to do is turn my head. An entirely separate system has a display by my computer in my office.

You are much more tolerant of bears and interlopers than I. I suggest caution and a plan B in case of aggression.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:38 AM

400 posts, read 572,928 times
I live in the country as well, and put up Wyze cameras a couple weeks ago. Motion sensing, with a person detection alert. They record a 12 second clip to the cloud, or will record everything if you put a SD card in them. You can also watch them live through an app.

For @25 a camera, it was hard to say no. They do need power, and they aren't technically weatherproof so I mounted them under my eaves. For $100 bucks, I have all sides of my house monitored. Not a bad deal.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:24 AM

978 posts, read 673,115 times
Get the "Blink Camera" on amazon or Best Buy.
Sends you pictures and videos straight to your phone, also "dings" your phone every time it takes a pic. Best thing in the world when you aren't home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living