Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 06:43 AM

31 posts, read 24,752 times

Advertisements

I'm live some miles away from a small rural town. Honestly, other than the masks being worn on the few occasions I've been out in the past few months and a couple family members being laid off, I wouldn't know anything was going on if I haven't been reading about it. So, yeah, feel pretty safe thus far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 06:52 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
I was just thinking today how deeply grateful I am for my life. I live in the country near a very small town, and here all is peaceful and beautiful and calm and joyful (except for marauding raccoons!)

My heart goes out to people who have to live in urban areas or in rural areas where sickness and sociocultural ugliness is more common than it is here.

Wishing good health and peace to all of you.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:45 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I think it's extremely naive to believe that just because we live in a small town we are somehow going to be insulated and safe from social unrest.

The longer lawlessness is allowed to go on, the farther out it will spread from the cities.
This thread is discussing safety from the COVID-19 virus, not the events stemming from George Floyd's death.

I feel pretty safe from the effects of both. When COVID first broke I was concerned that the people who can't go a week without making a trip to a larger city to buy crap they really don't need would bring it back with them, but that hasn't been the case. We've had a grand total of 11 cases in the county, 8 early on and three more recently. Currently we have one or two active cases, no fatalities, most have recovered at home with just one being sent to a larger hospital for treatment.

Old 06-11-2020, 11:02 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Maybe safER, but not safe. It is easier to practice distancing here. But we are getting hordes of tourists from elsewhere, and our county commissioners seem to have dropped the ball on health precautions. That’s putting it nicely. So for a while longer, even though we would love to support local restaurants by dining in, we are sticking with takeout. There is a hardware store I normally like but refuse to go into now, as they soon got known for being a no-mask place. Not sure if it was a policy or just staff and customers ignoring precautions because their “freedoms” took precedence over community health.

No man is an island, unless he is an island that nobody else can get near.

Old 06-11-2020, 01:02 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
We feel safer. We're in a rural area with a small population.

Old 06-19-2020, 01:25 PM

43 posts, read 22,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Maybe safER, but not safe. It is easier to practice distancing here. But we are getting hordes of tourists from elsewhere, and our county commissioners seem to have dropped the ball on health precautions. That’s putting it nicely. So for a while longer, even though we would love to support local restaurants by dining in, we are sticking with takeout. There is a hardware store I normally like but refuse to go into now, as they soon got known for being a no-mask place. Not sure if it was a policy or just staff and customers ignoring precautions because their “freedoms” took precedence over community health.

No man is an island, unless he is an island that nobody else can get near.
No store in my local town requires a mask. My wife and I, and most that we know, don't wear masks anywhere but work and Menards. Every place else, including the chiropractor's office, hasn't required it.

Finally saw my 90 year old grandmother and 65 year old aunt and both said they haven't been staying home during this whole thing either - except from church, but that's because they church was like the rest around here - which was at-home services until recently.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:20 PM

705 posts, read 506,362 times
Where I live, out in a very rural county, in a very low population upper Midwest state, since this started, there have been 9 reported cases. And not all live in this county, that’s just where their drivers license said they live. So I have only see a couple of old people wearing masks, stores are open, but they put up plexiglass at the cashier. But not every store. So not much has changed at all. The farmers still get together for coffee at the little country gas station every morning. No social distancing there. And as far as riots, closest has been 500 miles away from this area. Not much reason to riot out here anyway, everyone looks the same and has the same “culture”. Diversity is for city boys.

Old 07-02-2020, 03:37 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,015,250 times
In light of the recent events of Covid-19 and civil unrest with protests and riots, more people can understand why I prefer to go rural .

Old 07-08-2020, 09:53 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
In light of the recent events of Covid-19 and civil unrest with protests and riots, more people can understand why I prefer to go rural .
^^^ Colma?

Old 07-09-2020, 06:35 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,015,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
^^^ Colma?

Near Daly City?

More like Broadmoor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living