Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 11:17 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times

Advertisements

Not really. It only takes one “importer” (whether a visitor from an infected area or a local returning home from one) to start the explosion locally, as the ski towns learned.

The only thing I feel less worried about than city dwellers do is that there is simply a much lower density of humans, which makes it easier to avoid close contact. However, every time I buy groceries or pump gas or go the PO to retrieve mail, there is still risk of getting infected. It just isn’t a daily occurrence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 02:38 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
LOL. I was around FAR more people in a small town then I am in a large one oddly enough. Food delivery is easy, and nowadays doesnt require talking to people or even meeting them at the door.

In a small town I had to gas up more, and see actual people for many things. (aka infection vectors). While they dont have a neighbor 12 feet away, they still see a LOT of people.

Old 03-19-2020, 02:42 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
LOL. I was around FAR more people in a small town then I am in a large one oddly enough. Food delivery is easy, and nowadays doesnt require talking to people or even meeting them at the door.

In a small town I had to gas up more, and see actual people for many things. (aka infection vectors). While they dont have a neighbor 12 feet away, they still see a LOT of people.
What I mean is that merely stepping out near your own home (in person, not in a car) onto a public road does not mean you must pass close to lots of people, which is often the case in cities.

Old 03-19-2020, 05:10 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,114,080 times
I am from a small town, Myrtle Beach, SC and can tell you by far I am much happier living in a large city at a time like this.

They just opened our drive through testing.

Our medical facilities are amazing. I am within minutes of a Trauma I Hospital. Some of the best doctors and medical care in the country are located here including a Cleveland Clinic.

Our grocery stores are stocked, stocked and restocked. I haven't had a single problem getting hand sanitizer or toilet paper.

I would much rather be living in a large city in a time like this.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:06 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,649,439 times
Not me. We live on an island in Puget Sound serviced by a ferry. We went off the island today for some business and folks are supposed to stay IN THEIR cars during the trip. Were they - heck no. No social distancing either. Morons.

Lots of folks who live on the island work in the Seattle area which is the epicenter of this virus.

People here are just NOT taking this seriously so it is certain that we will see cases where I live.

Safer - no not at all.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:31 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,440,789 times
I would...except that I'm scheduled for a biopsy next week...in Seattle. It can't be done here, & the appointment was made over a month ago, the soonest available.

Old 03-20-2020, 08:36 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,689,543 times
From my back yard to the paved road is 42 miles through the woods. Last year a retired priest drove out there. He was found 10 weeks later sitting against a tree with his car door open. The battery was dead along with the priest.

When you head out, bring a map. This is not Rhode Island where you can walk home.

Old 03-20-2020, 10:57 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post

Is everyone in small towns feeling safer at a time like this?
'safer'?

Safer than what?

I watch youtube videos of city folk fighting over toilet paper. I see forum posts showing photos of empty shelves in stores.

My Dw smokes. She 'needs' a carton of cigarettes each week. For a year I have been trying to talk her into rolling her own. But in this 'crisis' stores are no longer stocking her favorite brand of smokes. This week she decided to start rolling her own. So Tuesday we went to a tobacco shop and loaded her up with all she needs.

I grew tobacco in our garden for a few years [I was hoping that she would start consuming our home grown tobacco, but she never did]. So I guess that maybe this year, I may plant some tobacco again.

I do find it humorous to watch the videos of city folk fighting over store shelves. I can not imagine living where I was so dependant on stores to have all the stuff that I need. That would be a terribly dependent lifestyle.

I am not sure how that relates to safety though.

Yes, I feel safe.

We live in a town that has a population-density of 10 people per square-mile. Our crime rate is extremely low, as low as our taxes. My home is on solar-power. We produce around 90% of our food. We are able to barter among our neighbors for most of the things that we do not grow on our land. My daily car is a plug-in hybrid that we recharge using our household solar-power system.

Old 03-20-2020, 10:52 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,608,680 times
As long as fuel is available (and it's cheaper now than it has been in years) the farmers in my region should be able to do their work, which is mostly pretty solitary. That means that we'll at least have farm income (we grow organic for a regional food market, not commodities.) You know, when the money guy kept trying to get me to put more money in the stock market I always said "At least with farm land I can always pitch a tent on some ground and survive. You can't pitch a tent in the stock market." So I was right! I guess we are at the mercy of the refineries continuing to operate.

I did find it a little amusing when they were saying not to congregate in groups of more than 50. There isn't much here that draws a crowd of more than 50! Maybe church at Christmas. Easter Services will be more sparse than usual this year.

Honestly, I'm more likely to get West Nile virus here than Covid19, as I live in a mosquito filled area, and last summer at least one person in town that I know of did get WN virus.

Old 03-21-2020, 10:43 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
'safer'?

Safer than what?

I watch youtube videos of city folk fighting over toilet paper. I see forum posts showing photos of empty shelves in stores.

My Dw smokes. She 'needs' a carton of cigarettes each week. For a year I have been trying to talk her into rolling her own. But in this 'crisis' stores are no longer stocking her favorite brand of smokes. This week she decided to start rolling her own. So Tuesday we went to a tobacco shop and loaded her up with all she needs.

I grew tobacco in our garden for a few years [I was hoping that she would start consuming our home grown tobacco, but she never did]. So I guess that maybe this year, I may plant some tobacco again.

I do find it humorous to watch the videos of city folk fighting over store shelves. I can not imagine living where I was so dependant on stores to have all the stuff that I need. That would be a terribly dependent lifestyle.

I am not sure how that relates to safety though.

Yes, I feel safe.

We live in a town that has a population-density of 10 people per square-mile. Our crime rate is extremely low, as low as our taxes. My home is on solar-power. We produce around 90% of our food. We are able to barter among our neighbors for most of the things that we do not grow on our land. My daily car is a plug-in hybrid that we recharge using our household solar-power system.

So your little town has a manufacturing hub where you guys can get everything made in the town. The “we are safer in little town than big city....is a myth. In fact one 8nfected person stands the chance of infecting more people faster in a small town as people tend to congregate more as there are fewer of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
As long as fuel is available (and it's cheaper now than it has been in years) the farmers in my region should be able to do their work, which is mostly pretty solitary. That means that we'll at least have farm income (we grow organic for a regional food market, not commodities.) You know, when the money guy kept trying to get me to put more money in the stock market I always said "At least with farm land I can always pitch a tent on some ground and survive. You can't pitch a tent in the stock market." So I was right! I guess we are at the mercy of the refineries continuing to operate.

I did find it a little amusing when they were saying not to congregate in groups of more than 50. There isn't much here that draws a crowd of more than 50! Maybe church at Christmas. Easter Services will be more sparse than usual this year.

Honestly, I'm more likely to get West Nile virus here than Covid19, as I live in a mosquito filled area, and last summer at least one person in town that I know of did get WN virus.
So what happens when fuel isn’t available? Your tractor or combine is doa. Your tractors don’t break down? Your crops rot because you can’t get enough people to harvest it once the machinery isn’t running
You may not be able to pitch a tent in the stock market but a guy in the stock market can buy land. Then he can pitch a tent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living