Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 09:49 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times

Advertisements

I live in a town of 10,000. You definitely don't see the crowds out that you used to. Our governor has done a great job of keeping on top of what's going on. Starting tomorrow at 5 PM most stores (shoes, clothing, jewelry, furniture, electronics, etc.) will be shut down until further notice. All restaurants are take out, meaning they meet you outside the door with your order, or delivery. All hair salons, nail salons, barber shops are closed. I still make my Walmart trips when we need something and I've been fishing at a state park about 30 miles away I have several friends who are even afraid to go sit on their carport for fresh air, like all the officials say you should do. There's a lot of paranoia in small towns. If everybody still had even a little bit of common sense, we could handle this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 04:58 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,689,543 times
Our office in Bangor will be closed until further notice. This is not a company decision. The Bangor City Council is a bunch of nervous Nellies who have no trust and confidence in American citizens.

We can still conduct our business of listing and selling. I do not freak out. I flew 556 missions in helicopter gun ships in Vietnam. Every time we took off there were people who wanted to blow us out of the sky. (We were not very high up in the sky. Sometimes we came back with rice on our skids.) After one “three day zoo” one of our pilots sat on the floor in the corner and cried. That’s OK. We knew people in the boats that had been killed. The next day, that pilot flew again.

I was the tallest pilot at our location. I wrote with a grease pencil on the plexiglas at the top of our 7 foot square map board;

“Our aim is to be as flexible as possible without going completely limp.” It was still there when I left.

Old 03-23-2020, 04:22 PM

858 posts, read 424,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Our office in Bangor will be closed until further notice. This is not a company decision. The Bangor City Council is a bunch of nervous Nellies who have no trust and confidence in American citizens.

We can still conduct our business of listing and selling. I do not freak out. I flew 556 missions in helicopter gun ships in Vietnam. Every time we took off there were people who wanted to blow us out of the sky. (We were not very high up in the sky. Sometimes we came back with rice on our skids.) After one “three day zoo” one of our pilots sat on the floor in the corner and cried. That’s OK. We knew people in the boats that had been killed. The next day, that pilot flew again.

I was the tallest pilot at our location. I wrote with a grease pencil on the plexiglas at the top of our 7 foot square map board;

“Our aim is to be as flexible as possible without going completely limp.” It was still there when I left.
The Spanish flu killed more people than WW1. I assure you the Coronavirus isn't intimated by your war stories.

Old 03-23-2020, 04:43 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosep View Post
The Spanish flu killed more people than WW1. I assure you the Coronavirus isn't intimated by your war stories.
All he is saying is that we will get through this.

Old 03-23-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
All he is saying is that we will get through this.
And we will get through this with fewer casualties if we take quarantine seriously.

Old 03-23-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
And we will get through this with fewer casualties if we take quarantine seriously.
Are you suggesting that someone is not taking it seriously?

Old 03-23-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Are you suggesting that someone is not taking it seriously?
I'd say calling a city council "nervous nellies" for enforcing a mandatory quarantine is not taking it seriously.

Old 03-23-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I'd say calling a city council "nervous nellies" for enforcing a mandatory quarantine is not taking it seriously.
There are times when hysterical media and politicians have made a complete mess of things. Consider the mess they made of Three-Mile-Island, surely you are old enough to remember that nothing event that was blown out of proportion so badly that even today it still sits there rusting in place.

All due to the nervous nellies.

Old 03-23-2020, 06:15 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Back to the OP, of course I feel safer out here than I would living in the city. I live where I can't see any neighbors so I'm not real afraid of accidental contacts with infected people out here, the way I would if I had to pass by them in narrow hallways in an apartment or walking on the street. We only have to decontaminate after going to *town* to get supplies. Hanging around the farm, things feel pretty normal.

Old 03-23-2020, 07:22 PM

A Country Boy Can Survive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cQNkIrg-Tk

My freezers are full, we have all the seeds we need for Spring planting,
Maple flow is nearly done, and my radiation treatments [for my cancer] are over.

If we all avoid going into town we will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living