Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2020, 02:40 PM

9,102 posts, read 6,327,077 times

Advertisements

I live in a suburban town of less than 10K people in New Hampshire. I feel fairly safe here from the virus. I view my biggest risk as New Yorkers fleeing their area to come to northern New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 05:37 PM

2,662 posts, read 1,380,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
All it takes is one person visiting or just passing though.
How many places in the country aren't visited by truck drivers, for instance. Or don't have residents with relatives in larger cities that they interact with. Think of all of the people who have relocated from small towns to big cities in recent decades. The vast majority of them still have friends and relatives in their native small towns or rural areas that they still interact with

Old 03-26-2020, 05:58 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,551,576 times
One thing I like that's going on around here is support between restaurants that are staying open for take out or delivery. Most have said they've stayed pretty busy. That's one kind of good support from the community for these restaurants. But they are also helping each other. There are two here where, if you get your take out from one place today, you get a ticket to take to another restaurant the next day and get a 10% discount. That restaurant will then give you a ticket to use the next day at the first place for 10% off. They said the response has been amazing.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:26 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
The people who think that they won't get it because they live in rural areas are in for a rude awakening. You're gonna get it, just later than those in metro areas.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:24 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,919,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
In big cities like SF or LA people are freaking out......
Why do you think people in cities are freaking out?

I see people in rural areas stocking up on guns/ammo, and see people in cities working together to get through this. I feel much safer in a city right now that I would in a rural area.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:48 PM

8,069 posts, read 12,790,933 times
No. It takes just one infected person to spread it around town. Unless you isolate yourself 100% you are not "safe".

Old 03-27-2020, 03:59 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,676,571 times
As of Friday New York state reported 37,258 cases, the most of any state in the country, including 21,393 cases are in NYC (the majority of the other NYS cases are in the surrounding "commuter" counties).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
No. It takes just one infected person to spread it around town. Unless you isolate yourself 100% you are not "safe".
OTOH, independent houses in a small town means fewer shared spaces where you might accidentally come into contact with a surface that has a surviving virus or stand near an infected person.

With everything closed, I don't really have much incentive to go "around town" at all, and if I step outside I am guaranteed to be at least 400' from any person outside my household (unless somebody is trespassing on my curtilage or UPS is dropping a package).

Old 03-27-2020, 04:35 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
... If a place is say 150 miles from a major city like NY or SF. Is that considered too far away from medical service?
For the most part, every county has a hospital and most big cities over 100k will have its own separate hospitals.

In the case of SF county, the next county North of SF County is Santa Rosa. When our first son was born we had to go into Santa Rosa because our town was too small to host a hospital.

You are not going to travel 150-miles from SF without tripping over a dozen other hospitals in your path.

Old 03-27-2020, 05:28 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
So your little town has a manufacturing hub where you guys can get everything made in the town. The “we are safer in little town than big city....is a myth. In fact one 8nfected person stands the chance of infecting more people faster in a small town as people tend to congregate more as there are fewer of them.
No. My town does not have any 'manufacturing hub'.

I am not sure of what I said that gave you such an idea. We have 10 people per square-mile in our township.

Cities with 100,000 people packed inside a block, have way more people confined in a tiny area.

NYC for example has over 27,000 people per square-mile.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City

If you think that living in a city with such a huge crowd, puts you in contact with 'fewer' infected people, you are living in a myth.

[/quote]... So what happens when fuel isn’t available? Your tractor or combine is doa. Your tractors don’t break down? Your crops rot because you can’t get enough people to harvest it once the machinery isn’t running You may not be able to pitch a tent in the stock market but a guy in the stock market can buy land. Then he can pitch a tent.[/quote]

That is so kind of you to be worrying about my crops. Bless your little heart.

My primary crops are cider apples, fiddleheads, and maple. I do not need to run my tractor for any of these harvests.

Good luck with your tent.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:00 PM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Right, but 99% of Americans don't live like that. There are very few Americans that live in an urban highrise and travel via subway. It's pretty rare outside of NYC.

So you don't have to be isolated in the backwoods; pretty much everyone in the U.S. outside of a few small geographies isn't living in a 50-floor highrise and taking a subway to work.

Also, there are no reported transmissions via the NY subway, and the NY transmissions aren't greatest in the highrise/dense areas so I'm not even sure if that's inherently more dangerous than going to some random Walmart and living in some typical sprawl. The biggest NY infection clusters are in suburban areas. Same with Washington, California and Louisiana. In fact the biggest NY cluster has one-acre+ homes.

I do agree that total isolation is safer, but the vast majority of people aren't gonna agree to permanently exclude their families from civilization. Families in the country send their kids to schools just like families in cities.
I live in a small city outside the town in a suburban to quasi-rural environment.

Personally, I'm not all that concerned about catching it or becoming seriously ill from coronavirus, though it could happen. IF I became critically ill, I'm screwed.

I've seen my local hospital system treat my ex-girlfriend poorly. Virtually everything for her, at 25 with autoimmune diseases, was a ride to Vanderbilt. That is 4.5 hours away without traffic. While no doctor in this area would do a joint replacement on her at all, she was out of surgery at Vanderbilt in 45 minutes. The difference in expertise is just staggering.

There is no way I would trust my local medical group with anything but very routine stuff. If I had significant coronavirus symptoms and could drive, I'd drive myself down to UT Medical Center or a Covenant Health facility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living