Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 11:33 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,305,719 times

Advertisements

In big cities like SF or LA people are freaking out......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 11:45 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,187,418 times
Yes I do feel safer living in a small rural town. We used to live in California a few years ago and boy am I am glad we're here in rural Wyoming and not there right now. We have less cases, less panic, and our community is coming together to help one another get through this. We have delivery meals for our seniors. We have a Facebook page set up so we can find people in our community who need something and we can give it to them, or make trades. Yes we can't find toilet paper either, but other than that the grocery store is keeping up okay. I also live in a valley with a lot of LDS folk, and they are already stocked up. They already have pantries full of food, so there's just less panic overall. I would feel much less safe both from the virus, and the community, living where we used to live back in California.

Old 03-19-2020, 12:17 AM

4,955 posts, read 3,318,028 times
Not when the hordes of the city arrive in rural areas.... I posted yesterday on Current Events general discussion CoronaVirus #2...re-posting it here......

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...m-rural-france

Old 03-19-2020, 12:23 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,305,719 times
I am going to my little countryside place to live for a while.

My goal was to have vegetable beds growing vegetables, a potato patch producing potatoes, some chicken and a few sheep providing meat. But those have not started yet.

I hope to be a self sufficient homesteader some day.

Old 03-19-2020, 02:15 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Nope.

My parents are in my small, rural hometown area. They are senior citizens. My mom has an autoimmune disorder and is a recent stroke survivor. Definition of high risk.Their local medical clinic is a bare bones triage unit (the full-service hospital closed a decade ago, as is commonplace in rural areas). When my mom had her stroke, she had to be taken to a hospital 75 miles away. The local facilities are insufficient to properly address health complications that are increasingly likely. As has been documented with last pandemics, illnesses such as this take longer to arrive in low-population density areas...but when they do, they are devastating, due to insufficient resources and care.

Old 03-19-2020, 05:50 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,423,827 times
Don't even really think about it, or in other words it hasn't impacted my life in any meaningful way.

I look at these kinds of events, and have since AIDS in the 80's when I was first old enough to think about these kinds of things and form meaningful opinions, as an auto-immune response from the Earth to the unchecked parasite that is Human. People die everyday, that a few more might go this month vs last month or next month isn't really a concern. Might actually be a good thing if the planet population were cut in half, and callous sounding as this will be, the population at highest risk in the US are the elderly ~ generally speaking, people who have lived a full life already (80% of ALL fatalities are aged 70 and up and 92% are 60 and up).

If you're under the age of 60 and wash your freaking hands a few times a day, this will be a non-event here in the US.

It is kinda fun/funny watching people freak out though. I can't recall so many posts on just one topic across so many different C-D forums since I've been active here. That's about the limit to my exposure though, no radio or TV in my house, no newpapers (or news sources of any sort) beyond me going to intentionally look online. Well, my mother-in-law calls every few days to talk about the hording she's doing and my wife, who's a healthcare worker, brings home some 'news' (she's still going to work and is mostly just annoyed by the whole thing, the best thing that's come of this mess is the cancellation of in-person meetings, which are always a waste of time with no upside).

Old 03-19-2020, 06:09 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,388,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Don't even really think about it, or in other words it hasn't impacted my life in any meaningful way.

Might actually be a good thing if the planet population were cut in half, and callous sounding as this will be, the population at highest risk in the US are the elderly ~ generally speaking, people who have lived a full life already (80% of ALL fatalities are aged 70 and up and 92% are 60 and up).

It is kinda fun/funny watching people freak out though.
Where do I even start in addressing this self centered dehumanizing nonsensical crap.....

It hasn't affected you, you're not at high risk, and you think it's funny.

Unbelievable.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:00 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,675,380 times
Wink Up north, being unable to leave your house for a week is just called "February"

Out in the sticks in winter-heavy states, it's not uncommon to be stuck home for days straight, so people are already stocked up and hunkered down.

Not every small town is also low-population-density, and it's the latter than I would expect to be more comforting -- I'd be more worried in a city where people take public transit every day, packed in like sardines, in dense housing and high rise buildings with shared lobbies, etc.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:18 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,423,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Where do I even start in addressing this self centered dehumanizing nonsensical crap.....

It hasn't affected you, you're not at high risk, and you think it's funny.

Unbelievable.

right back at ya... how overly judgemental and presumptuous of you. Zero clue about the affect it's had on me or my personal risk level, though I did allude to that by posting that my wife is a healthcare worker. She hasn't been exposed (that anyone knows) yet, but it's only a matter of time as the quarantine area is immediately next to where she works, as in drywall separation but shared HVAC. For us, it's not "if" but "when", how about you?

The only difference is that the attitude you're displaying is So common as to be perfectly believable.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:31 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post

I look at these kinds of events, and have since AIDS in the 80's when I was first old enough to think about these kinds of things and form meaningful opinions, as an auto-immune response from the Earth to the unchecked parasite that is Human. People die everyday, that a few more might go this month vs last month or next month isn't really a concern. Might actually be a good thing if the planet population were cut in half, and callous sounding as this will be, the population at highest risk in the US are the elderly ~ generally speaking, people who have lived a full life already (80% of ALL fatalities are aged 70 and up and 92% are 60 and up).

If you're under the age of 60 and wash your freaking hands a few times a day, this will be a non-event here in the US.

It is kinda fun/funny watching people freak out though. I can't recall so many posts on just one topic across so many different C-D forums since I've been active here. That's about the limit to my exposure though, no radio or TV in my house, no newpapers (or news sources of any sort) beyond me going to intentionally look online. Well, my mother-in-law calls every few days to talk about the hording she's doing and my wife, who's a healthcare worker, brings home some 'news' (she's still going to work and is mostly just annoyed by the whole thing, the best thing that's come of this mess is the cancellation of in-person meetings, which are always a waste of time with no upside).
So..... someone like my wife.....it’s ok for her to die.....I mean she’s outlived her usefulness and she lived a full life. Hell let me take the ol gal behind the barn put a bullet in her head.

You think it’s fun or funny watching what’s happening to people? And the country? That’s right you’re in your own little bubble so who cares about the rest of the world. More for you when it all falls apart. Too bad when it all falls apart you’re going down with it.

All the small town we band together and stop the city folk. Yeah you can’t grow everything and anything, fuel gets delivered and unless you got your own refinery and power plant you may not have electricity. Or gas. Small towns are no better off than big city in the long run. You’ll be scraping by quickly enough.

I have family who lives in a small town. They are by no means self sufficient. They can last a while but if the power goes out they are done for. Once the fuel runs out all those tractors lifts etc are sitting idle. Better have more people to collect and process the harvest or it’s all gonna rot. That’s if you have a harvest.

You know the definition of a sociopath?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living