Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2020, 02:51 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,306,420 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to sketch out a high level but step-by-step plan that can build a cattle ranch that generate about $60K in annual profit?

Like for example, how many heads of cattle, how big a piece of land, what might the initial investment be, and what might a reasonable profit/loss outlook, etc.

The business doesn't have to operate at such efficiency as commercial corporations. I am just thinking about this as a retirement activity. Capital is not really a problem, and I can absorb a few years of loss, but obviously eventually it should reach my (hopefully modest) goal of $60k annual profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2020, 02:56 AM

61,745 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Google: how to start a cattle farm

Old 02-22-2020, 05:19 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,919,250 times
There are plenty of beef and dairy farms in California.

It would be easy to locate and visit them. That is where you will get your best and most reliable information. If you don’t know how to seek them out, visit a few feed stores who cater to the cattle ranchers and ask where they are.

Feed stores almost always have rags (area magazines) that cater to the ranchers. Those rags always have ranch ads in them.

You can also contact the California Cattleman’s Association. https://calcattlemen.org/

Even where beef cattle are concerned, there’s a lot more to the operation than meets the eye. Gleaning start up information from the internet is an unhealthy way to get started.

Having been raised on a dairy farm and now surrounded by several hundred beef cattle on even more acres, I will say the cattle business is NOT something you can do in an instant. If this is what you want for a retirement “project”, I hope you are either taking a very early retirement or your family DNA says you should live into your 90’s.

Best wishes

Old 02-22-2020, 05:36 AM

7,268 posts, read 5,147,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Is it possible to sketch out a high level but step-by-step plan that can build a cattle ranch that generate about $60K in annual profit?

Like for example, how many heads of cattle, how big a piece of land, what might the initial investment be, and what might a reasonable profit/loss outlook, etc.

The business doesn't have to operate at such efficiency as commercial corporations. I am just thinking about this as a retirement activity. Capital is not really a problem, and I can absorb a few years of loss, but obviously eventually it should reach my (hopefully modest) goal of $60k annual profit.

Considering that the profit per head on a cow/calf operation is only `<$250/hd, to make $60Gs, you'd need at least 240 cows....Stocking rates depend on how good your pasture is-- anywhere from 240- 1500ac needed.

You either need several bulls or an expensive vet or the willingness/ability to do artificial insemination every year..and when the cows start dropping those calves, you'll be pretty busy supervising things-- MotherNature needs a hand quit often or you could lose an expensive element of the business.

Ranching is not a "retirement business" at the level you're talking about. I know many guys here who run 10-20 head just to maintain tax benefits on the land that's already paid for for many yrs (lower input costs if you don't have to rent or buy land) and they have family/partners to share in the work.

If you're located near a city (usually loaded with liberal TreeHuggers ) consider raising "organic, grass-finished cattle" and marketing it yourself. You may find profits in the $1000/hd range.

https://community.agriculture.com/t5...le/td-p/303741

CattleToday.com - Index page

Old 02-22-2020, 06:32 AM

4,604 posts, read 6,371,820 times
For a change I agree with guido....find a retirement income/hobby that you can run out of your garage/shop building. Unless you are in a niche market, there is no appreciable retirement income from hobby farming....only a tax write-off.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 02-23-2020, 07:39 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,306,420 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z3kXevsLfs

This is the clearest I got. Most like this says ranching is hard to make money. But we know small ranches exist all over. What gives?

Old 02-23-2020, 08:05 AM

364 posts, read 1,421,177 times
Quote:
But we know small ranches exist all over. What gives?
Guys want soooo badly to own a Ford/Chevy/Dodge crew cab, diesel, 4x4 with all the necessary accoutrements and to throw 5 square bales of hay in the bed (lined, natch) and say they are "ranchers" on their 11 acres.

Don't get me wrong...it can be enjoyable if you look at it as a hobby. As an income producing business??? Maybe, but it will be W.O.R.K.

Old 02-23-2020, 09:24 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,586,145 times
I was raised on a ranch and had cattle all my life. I just bought a small 160 acre ranch to retire on.
I still have some cattle, but they wouldn't support me for a years income.

Cattle prices fluctuate wildly each year up or down. Usually down. Your costs for fuel, equipment, repairs, vet bills, feed, go up each year.

As a business to get funding for retirement, it's a poor choice. As a hobby or because you love it like I do, there's nothing like it.

There's an old saying in the ranching community. How do you make a million dollars ranching? Start out with 10 million.

Old 02-23-2020, 06:14 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:

My cousins did. They are farmers, for many years, very knowledgeable about raising farm animals. Kids did 4H for years, and the daughter wanted to start a business. They started with 5 head of bred heifers. That was just a few years ago. They have about 50 head now, and a very profitable local beef market, and actually have local restaurants selling their beef on the menus now. It's been pretty cool to see them succeed in this. I don't know anything about how much the startup costs were, but this is a really hardworking family - they don't take any shortcuts either. They love farming.

Old 02-23-2020, 07:26 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,063,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
My cousins did. They are farmers, for many years, very knowledgeable about raising farm animals. Kids did 4H for years, and the daughter wanted to start a business. They started with 5 head of bred heifers. That was just a few years ago. They have about 50 head now, and a very profitable local beef market, and actually have local restaurants selling their beef on the menus now. It's been pretty cool to see them succeed in this. I don't know anything about how much the startup costs were, but this is a really hardworking family - they don't take any shortcuts either. They love farming.
Cool story. Sounds like they’re doing their own butchering and distribution also. That helps maintain quality and increases the brand’s value without depending on a middleman. More profit also if this is the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living