Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 12:12 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,304,327 times

Advertisements

In my dwelling in the city I have a yard about 2000 sqft. Of that, about 1600 is paved with concrete and 400 has dirt. On the dirt I have about 10 fruit trees so they are quite packed, leaving less space between trees.

With this setup, do you think it's possible to keep some free-range chicken to provide my own meat? How many can be kept for a space like this?

And if I want to eat 2 chickens per week, how big a flock do I need to ensure continuous supply of chicken? I heard it's 2 months to get to slaughter weight.

I can provide chicken feed.

What is the smallest space needed to raise chicken?-fruits-01b.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 12:42 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,200,641 times
I don't think you have enough room for it. Chickens can be pretty messy, especially in a confined space. Definitely would not call them free-range chickens. You might be able to have a very limited number for eggs. We used to have about 10 chickens and the coons and snakes were pretty tough on them.

Old 05-08-2020, 06:08 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
Robert...I can't help but grin at some of your posts...you really need to get out of the Bay Area if you want to follow your dreams. I think back to my own dreams from the "back to the land movement" of the 60's and 70's....that took me from the Bay Area to a remote farm in the Ozarks....what a trip. Mother Earth News has been a good source for homesteading/backyard farming information for decades.

Good Luck
Gemstone1

Old 05-08-2020, 08:11 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
20 feet by 20 feet of grass, and you think you're going to raise enough chickens for meat, to eat two a week?

Old 05-08-2020, 08:39 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,304,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
20 feet by 20 feet of grass, and you think you're going to raise enough chickens for meat, to eat two a week?
They cannot hangout on concrete from time to time?

Old 05-08-2020, 09:49 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Why, instead of asking a bunch of strangers on the internet, don't you get a book on raising chickens?

Old 05-08-2020, 10:55 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
In my dwelling in the city I have a yard about 2000 sqft. Of that, about 1600 is paved with concrete and 400 has dirt. On the dirt I have about 10 fruit trees so they are quite packed, leaving less space between trees.

With this setup, do you think it's possible to keep some free-range chicken to provide my own meat? How many can be kept for a space like this?

And if I want to eat 2 chickens per week, how big a flock do I need to ensure continuous supply of chicken? I heard it's 2 months to get to slaughter weight.

I can provide chicken feed.

Attachment 220281
In a coop you need about 4 square feet per bird or they'll start pecking each other to death.

Cornish cross chickens will reach butcher weight at about 10-12 weeks. If you're figuring on eating 2 chickens per week, you'll have to figure on replacing chickens at 2 per week.
If you start with a flock of 20 birds it will be at least 2 months until you can start eating them, o you'd need to start another flock of 20 when you start eating the first bunch.

That's assuming no disease, rats, cats, dogs, raccoons, hawks etc don't get some of them before you do.
On my ranch I figure in at least a 25% loss. You're results may vary.

If you want fresh chicken for supper it will mean butchering twice a week. Or you could grow your flock to size, process them all at once and freeze. That would free up space for the next flock.

Free range in a small space like you're talking isn't really feasible, but a nice coop with a small yard for exercise, fed extra garden scraps or extra fruit from your trees, you'd get pretty much the same results.

Good luck.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:11 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,389,618 times
What do you intend to do with the feathers, blood, feet, heads and entrails when you butcher them?

We raised chickens both for eggs and food when I was younger and IT MAKES A MESS.

Old 05-08-2020, 02:02 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,077,727 times
Hi Robert,
I have raised chickens for a long time but I’m no expert.
I slaughter a couple many years ago.
I just hated doing that so never again for me.
I raise for eggs.
My magic number that works for my family is 3.
I’ve done the big coop thing before as well but 3 works the best for our egg needs.

Backyard chicken forums is nice place to learn things.

We did the amazon chicken coop thing but they are rather tiny.
When they say that they can hold 6 hens expect them to work for 2 hens.
Tractor supply has nice coops.

Which ever route you go do it as easy as possible.
The water system should have nipples.
The food system should be the kind where they have to put their heads into.
No mess at all and keeps labor/food costs way down and is much more sanitary which means healthier birds.

Good luck to you.
Andy.

Old 05-08-2020, 02:07 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
In my dwelling in the city I have a yard...do you think it's possible to keep some free-range chicken to provide my own meat? How many can be kept for a space like this?
You say you live in a city. What does the city say about keeping chickens?

Or do you not plan to tell the and wait to see if someone complains about the smell and noise?

You need a rooster, if you are not going to want to have to keep buying chicks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living