Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 10:31 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I agree. Its international travel and people packed like sardines in big cities that has created our current situation. I would say however that regarding this virus returning. It has not left yet. The world wide new cases are still at about them most they have been at and the USA still has hot spots all over.
Right. We are not in the second wave because we are still in the first wave.

Complacency is the biggest threat to safety, even more so than globalization of everything. And rural areas have plenty of complacent people just as cities do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 02:45 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,608,680 times
One thing I love about living in the country near a town of about 10,000 people is reading the "police report" in the local weekly newspaper. It's very entertaining.

The column reports on the calls to both the town police dept and to the county sheriff's dept.

Most of the calls are about one of these three things: traffic violations, drunk and disorderly, and domestic disputes. The traffic violations and domestic disputes seem to be usually alcohol related.

Other things reported include wellness checks, checks on "suspicious" activities, and theft of bicycles in town.

I've had the sheriff's deputy out to my property twice: once for a rabid raccoon, which he kindly shot then disposed of the body in my neighbor's woods across the county road , and once for a bat in the house. He cut the window screen and the bat flew out. He did say that he usually wouldn't have come for the bat, but nothing else was going on at that time.

Old 06-17-2020, 03:01 PM

30,170 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Right. We are not in the second wave because we are still in the first wave.

Complacency is the biggest threat to safety, even more so than globalization of everything. And rural areas have plenty of complacent people just as cities do.

True but rural areas have less person to person contact compared to most urban areas.

Old 06-17-2020, 03:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
True but rural areas have less person to person contact compared to most urban areas.
Only takes ONE (Asymptomatic super spreader)... They usually infect 30 - 300 and sometimes never even know they were POSITIVE.

That is the ONE to watch out for (they are likely not wearing a mask, gloves, and face shield)

Quote:
the USA still has hot spots all over.
16 June 2020...
Texas 95,793total +4,413 NEW...
Texas Governor Says 'No Reason Today To Be Alarmed' As Coronavirus Cases Set Record
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...wn-the-numbers

500% increase in my RURAL county in last 2 weeks (Community spread)

Just takes ONE. Hopefully not at the Dollar Tree!!! Zillions of kids and family running around there ('unmasked' of course)

Old 06-20-2020, 02:26 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times
Quote:
Rural areas have their own problems. Some of them are similar to ones in urbs and burbs, and some of them are rare elsewhere.

I’ll skip mentioning the shared crap, such as drunken drivers, and list a few more likely in rural places:

- Dumping animals (pets, livestock, poached game) either dead or alive.
- Stealing from someone else’s water supply.
- Meth “homes.”
- Absentee owners allowing weeds to run rampant.

No place is safe from people doing stupid or illegal things. There are fewer people and more spread out; they also can hide more easily.

Change locations because you are going TO, not fleeing FROM.
I live rural/small town and have none of your stated issues. We got rid of meth houses years ago and LE is responsive. People don’t often get away with stuff here, because of a thing called “community”.

Old 06-20-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I live rural/small town and have none of your stated issues. We got rid of meth houses years ago and LE is responsive. People don’t often get away with stuff here, because of a thing called “community”.
LE in MY area is responsive; this might not be true for all the other rural areas that see the problems I listed. The problem here is that there are just are too few LE officers for a very large physical area to cover. Too few because of a thing called “taxes” that much of the “community” does not want to increase.

The “community” is very low density outside of the few towns’ limits. That is by choice. But it also means fewer eyes on criminals.

If you live IN town, the animal dumps and water theft don’t apply. I was not talking about towns, no matter how small. Town densities insure more eyes to see what happens, and faster PD time due to being geographically a tiny proportion of the non-town county.

4 to 12 people per square mile, that’s the kind of setting I was referring to,

Last edited by pikabike; 06-20-2020 at 10:16 PM..

Old 06-21-2020, 06:41 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,130,024 times
Quote:
LE in MY area is responsive; this might not be true for all the other rural areas that see the problems I listed. The problem here is that there are just are too few LE officers for a very large physical area to cover. Too few because of a thing called “taxes” that much of the “community” does not want to increase.

The “community” is very low density outside of the few towns’ limits. That is by choice. But it also means fewer eyes on criminals.

If you live IN town, the animal dumps and water theft don’t apply. I was not talking about towns, no matter how small. Town densities insure more eyes to see what happens, and faster PD time due to being geographically a tiny proportion of the non-town county.

4 to 12 people per square mile, that’s the kind of setting I was referring to,

I lived as mentioned earlier quite rural for 24 yrs (and going back to it in a few) and in all that time I never once heard of a meth lab anywhere around or anyone in my area having a home broken into or stolen from. I think there was some cattle stolen once. Everyone is armed, most have dogs and not too many places have easy access and a stranger sticks out like a sore thumb.
There may be fewer eyes but there are fewer criminals.

For a few yrs my husband had to travel all of the time and I was there alone. Never was I scared or worried.
So, I would presume it depends on where.... which state possibly, and just how rural.

Old 06-21-2020, 09:59 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,518,862 times
I grew up in a city of 164,000 people that's now grown to 1,000,000 people. But it's surrounded by cities of 50,000 to 100,000 people.

I like living 30-40 miles outside of the big city but relatively close to the satellite cities with restaurants, Walmarts and big box stores like Home Depot. My wife used to hit the malls for the sales, but they're almost a thing of the past.

We moved last Fall 10 miles outside of a city of 470,000 people. It's a very agricultural place where subdivisions are sitting out by themselves but not butted up together. We sit and hear chickens crowing and cattle mooing. And we have to deal with combines, tractors and cotton pickers on our 2 lane roads.

But I wish it wasn't 13 miles to the nearest Walmart and Home Depot and that doctors offices weren't 15 miles away. We really prefer to stay out of the city whenever possible.

Old 06-21-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I lived as mentioned earlier quite rural for 24 yrs (and going back to it in a few) and in all that time I never once heard of a meth lab anywhere around or anyone in my area having a home broken into or stolen from. I think there was some cattle stolen once. Everyone is armed, most have dogs and not too many places have easy access and a stranger sticks out like a sore thumb.
There may be fewer eyes but there are fewer criminals.

For a few yrs my husband had to travel all of the time and I was there alone. Never was I scared or worried.
So, I would presume it depends on where.... which state possibly, and just how rural.
The bolded is true of my area, too. The bad ones are relatively few but they are definitely around. People from other places where the culture might be extremely different should know the kinds of things that happen. It is not just in my area, though you might not see it in yours. All rural is not alike.

The other thing is that meth and opium have changed where crime occurs. Drug-related crimes did used to be mostly in cities. Not so since about 20 years ago.

Subdivisions outside of city limits (which some consider rural) are different from large parcels in agricultural or wildland areas, too.

Old 06-23-2020, 04:01 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,675,380 times
Exclamation Every COVID spike in my region was at a building with locked-in residents (prison, nursing home, long-term care, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Only takes ONE (Asymptomatic super spreader)... They usually infect 30 - 300 and sometimes never even know they were POSITIVE.

That is the ONE to watch out for (they are likely not wearing a mask, gloves, and face shield)
. . .
500% increase in my RURAL county in last 2 weeks (Community spread)

Just takes ONE. Hopefully not at the Dollar Tree!!! Zillions of kids and family running around there ('unmasked' of course)
Can't be that rural if you've got a Dollar Tree!

There's still something to be said in favor of rural. No buses to cough all over inside, no shared foyers with doorknobs and elevator buttons, heck, no elevators.

If you look at "rural" numbers, the big increases tend to be prisons, nursing and elderly care homes, and other pockets of high-density vulnerable sub-populations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living