Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 06:37 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
That’s what I think, too. Even if this one virus type doesn’t return, some other perfect storm of a pathogen will hit eventually unless people everywhere make some permanent changes in their lives. We have become globally connected to an extent that controlling some diseases will be extremely difficult, if not impossible.
It won't be just one thing:

--Pathogens/Pestilence
--Economic chaos (We haven't felt the full force of it yet)
--An increase in major earthquakes and other natural disasters (Mexico just had a 7.4)
--Social Unrest (some of which is deliberately created)

Some will call me a kook, but this stuff is all talked about in the Bible. It's mentioned in other major spiritual traditions, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 08:25 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,398,193 times
i left the city to the rural area when the minority force me out, the local crime made me go looking for something safer, that been thirty years

Old 06-24-2020, 09:32 AM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times
Got some very interesting info and input here.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:52 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,361,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastwalk444 View Post
When I was younger, I really loved the energy and vibe of being in or near an urban area. I have been slowly changing my mind lately and this year had really clinched it for me. First Covid and now riots and calls to defund the police. That last part is what really clinched it for me. I'm grateful for the police and I don't blame an entire group of people for the actions of a few. The fact that this idea is even gaining traction in mostly urban areas was the last straw. Sorry for injecting politics into this just wanted to say you have reasons to feel grateful. The big, popular, touristy, high rent areas aren't all they are cracked up to be
No need to be sorry. It’s nice to see someone with a brain. There are very few like you left apparently.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
It won't be just one thing:

--Pathogens/Pestilence
--Economic chaos (We haven't felt the full force of it yet)
--An increase in major earthquakes and other natural disasters (Mexico just had a 7.4)
--Social Unrest (some of which is deliberately created)

Some will call me a kook, but this stuff is all talked about in the Bible. It's mentioned in other major spiritual traditions, too.
Lots of natural disasters

M6.0 Earthquake - Central California
Preliminary Report
Magnitude 6.0
Date-Time
24 Jun 2020 17:40:49 UTC
24 Jun 2020 10:40:49 near epicenter
24 Jun 2020 09:40:49 standard time in your timezone
Location 36.453N 117.971W
Depth 2 km
Distances
9.5 km (5.9 mi) WSW of Keeler, California
96.0 km (59.5 mi) NNW of Ridgecrest, California
103.4 km (64.1 mi) ENE of Porterville, California
104.1 km (64.5 mi) ENE of Lindsay, California
340.0 km (210.8 mi) SSE of Carson City, Nevada

Old 06-24-2020, 12:47 PM

3,060 posts, read 2,040,914 times
As retired people we just moved to the biggest city we've ever lived in, almost 900,000 people, a change from our last town of 15,000. There have been protests here and the state has significant coronavirus but we are very happy to be here and feel safe. The urban area nearby has a lot of benefits.

We are so far from the busy downtown area we're a stones throw from the adjacent state. Great hospital and ER less than 10 minutes away.

Bad situations can happen no matter where you live. You might buy 100 acres and find out a hog farm will be setting up operation at your lot line, or a mining operation (this happens in Florida too) or some other unexpected unwanted neighbor. Zoning can change overnight for people/businesses with "connections", I've seen it happen multiple times. It's not all meth labs. One of our past "bad situations" happened when our HOA went rogue, we sold seeing years of constant involvement ahead.

Any neighbor can cause problems, urban or rural.
I always loved Mayberry on TV but really that's too small for me, everyone knowing everything.
Grad school in Brooklyn, NYC was just too big and draining for me, I dropped out.

It's like Goldilocks, we all need to find the size that's juuuust right for us.
The grass is not always greener in rural areas but I believe all humans want and need peace and quiet enjoyment of where they live. That comes in many sizes and shapes. And many of us have the ability to choose where to live.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
As retired people we just moved to the biggest city we've ever lived in, almost 900,000 people, a change from our last town of 15,000. There have been protests here and the state has significant coronavirus but we are very happy to be here and feel safe. The urban area nearby has a lot of benefits.

We are so far from the busy downtown area we're a stones throw from the adjacent state. Great hospital and ER less than 10 minutes away.

Bad situations can happen no matter where you live. You might buy 100 acres and find out a hog farm will be setting up operation at your lot line, or a mining operation (this happens in Florida too) or some other unexpected unwanted neighbor. Zoning can change overnight for people/businesses with "connections", I've seen it happen multiple times. It's not all meth labs. One of our past "bad situations" happened when our HOA went rogue, we sold seeing years of constant involvement ahead.

I always loved Mayberry on TV but really that's too small for me, everyone knowing everything.
Grad school in Brooklyn, NYC was just too big and draining for me, I dropped out.

The grass is not always greener in rural areas but I believe all humans want and need peace and quiet enjoyment of where they live. That comes in many sizes and shapes. And many of us have the ability to choose where to live.
So true grass isn't always greener on other side. It's never as good as people say.
900,000?

Old 06-24-2020, 05:36 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post

I agree! Look for what you want instead of just avoiding what you dislike. Some things that we assume cannot ever change get changed.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I agree! Look for what you want instead of just avoiding what you dislike. Some things that we assume cannot ever change get changed.
wE WILL know for sure once we cross that bridge.

Old 06-25-2020, 01:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,736 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Very good thread on CD about 5 yrs ago.

Seeking Mayberry....

The seekers ended up back home after a few yrs seeking. But had a great time and shared interesting details along their adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living