Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 05:19 PM

17,347 posts, read 11,293,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Very good thread on CD about 5 yrs ago.

Seeking Mayberry....

The seekers ended up back home after a few yrs seeking. But had a great time and shared interesting details along their adventure.
I'm going to look for that thread as it sounds interesting. I firmly believe Mayberry is in the eyes of the beholder. It was a small town, yes, but it was a town with all the amenities in a small urban setting. Technically it wasn't rural until you left the town. There were stores, barber shop, courthouse, schools, side walks, paved roads, street lights and there was also the occasional petty crime. Everything you need in an urban environment but in miniature like so many small towns across this country today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 05:24 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,082,509 times
I am retiring to an unincorporated area on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington soon.

We bought this spot in 2018.

It is about 4 miles from a town of 101 people.
Near 20 miles to the town of 6k that has all the box stores you could need.
I think the town area has near 28K people in the larger greater surrounding areas.

Other than that fact that I’m in an area full of vacation homes with rather odd privileged neighbors I think I’m in heaven.

We get to see “full on nature” right here on this spot and I am loving it.

I get to see eagles when I am doing my dishes, and there is just so much more than that.

The medical situation seems reasonable.
We might have to buy insurance for a “life saving life flight” but I am totally cool with that.

We own acreage.
We can’t see our neighbors.
Our driveway is near 200 yards long.

I just don’t see how to be able to live better than this.

I mean...
I am just a guy that has worked hard.
I will never be a gazzionionaire.
I will never live in them fancy Malibu Places.

I just don’t wanna live in a place with city issues.
I just want to be in a spot where I can be comfy.

I am just ticked pink to say that I found it and it comes filled with family and friends.

Pretty good thing for this “ Old Frisco Boy”.

All the best.
Andy.

Old 06-25-2020, 07:36 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm going to look for that thread as it sounds interesting. I firmly believe Mayberry is in the eyes of the beholder. It was a small town, yes, but it was a town with all the amenities in a small urban setting. Technically it wasn't rural until you left the town. There were stores, barber shop, courthouse, schools, side walks, paved roads, street lights and there was also the occasional petty crime. Everything you need in an urban environment but in miniature like so many small towns across this country today.
This sounds good.

Old 06-25-2020, 07:39 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,923,196 times
We're in a town of about 7000 but we are close to suburban type cities. (25000 to 75000) in size. Considering current events, I'm eyeing a town of 2000 that is even smaller and more rural, 25 miles further into the boonies.

Old 06-25-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
We're in a town of about 7000 but we are close to suburban type cities. (25000 to 75000) in size. Considering current events, I'm eyeing a town of 2000 that is even smaller and more rural, 25 miles further into the boonies.
Same here.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:21 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Lots of natural disasters

M6.0 Earthquake - Central California
Preliminary Report
Magnitude 6.0
Date-Time
24 Jun 2020 17:40:49 UTC
24 Jun 2020 10:40:49 near epicenter
24 Jun 2020 09:40:49 standard time in your timezone
Location 36.453N 117.971W
Depth 2 km
Distances
9.5 km (5.9 mi) WSW of Keeler, California
96.0 km (59.5 mi) NNW of Ridgecrest, California
103.4 km (64.1 mi) ENE of Porterville, California
104.1 km (64.5 mi) ENE of Lindsay, California
340.0 km (210.8 mi) SSE of Carson City, Nevada

when I look at the number of people who died in earthquakes in North America since 1950 vs the number who died from tornados or hurricanes since 2000 the contrast is striking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I am retiring to an unincorporated area on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington soon.

The medical situation seems reasonable.
We might have to buy insurance for a “life saving life flight” but I am totally cool with that.

We own acreage.
We can’t see our neighbors.
Our driveway is near 200 yards long.[/b]

Pretty good thing for this “ Old Frisco Boy”.

All the best.
Andy.
Two things: a 200 yard driveway would be a disaster in eastern CA due to snow. Our drive is 20 feet. Helicopter insurance is only $50 a year for us.

I hope you are referring to Frisco CO,

Old 06-26-2020, 04:49 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,082,509 times
Not to sound rude to you Mr5150 because I think you are a decent guy but I am a local “San Francisco” guy.
Are you?

I normally work and/or hang out in the city each and every day.
Do you?

I belong to one of the strongest unions here in “San Francisco”.
Do you?

I am with the group that does all the piping for the City, all the Hospitals, research centers and all the local tech companies.

Do you belong to a Union here?
Do you hang out after work here?
Are you from here?

My group refers to “San Francisco” in multiple ways.
We normally just say “The City” or “Downtown”.

Heck we even say “Frisco” to **** people off or to get cool Union logos printed on shirts, hats and stuff like that.

As a long time local from the City I reserve the right to call my City any which way I decide.

“Frisco Colorado” are you effing serious ????
If so cry me a river.

Once again I do think you are cool but I ain’t apologizing for squat.

All the best.
Andy.

AKA... the Dude that works in Frisco

Old 06-27-2020, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Not to sound rude to you Mr5150 because I think you are a decent guy but I am a local “San Francisco” guy.
Are you?

I normally work and/or hang out in the city each and every day.
Do you?

I belong to one of the strongest unions here in “San Francisco”.
Do you?

I am with the group that does all the piping for the City, all the Hospitals, research centers and all the local tech companies.

Do you belong to a Union here?
Do you hang out after work here?
Are you from here?

My group refers to “San Francisco” in multiple ways.
We normally just say “The City” or “Downtown”.

Heck we even say “Frisco” to **** people off or to get cool Union logos printed on shirts, hats and stuff like that.

As a long time local from the City I reserve the right to call my City any which way I decide.

“Frisco Colorado” are you effing serious ????
If so cry me a river.

Once again I do think you are cool but I ain’t apologizing for squat.

All the best.
Andy.

AKA... the Dude that works in Frisco
San Fransicko, Commiefornicate

Old 06-27-2020, 10:42 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
LOL, at least 20 yrs ago I mentioned something about Frisco, CO on a mountain biking site. Really was talking about the CO town.

Someone instantly upbraided me for abbreviating the CA city name. LOL, I set him straight on that one. Mountain biking trails in San Francisco? [ROTFLMAO etc]

Old 07-01-2020, 09:00 PM

705 posts, read 507,223 times
I moved from a place in California with a county population of around 250,000 and cities around me of around 50,000 to 100,000. To a rural upper Midwest state, in a county of 6800 people. I live about ten miles out of town on dirt roads, that town is the biggest town of 1300 people, county seat. The closest “big city” is about 100 miles away with a population of 52,000. It’s got all the big box stores, a university, movie theaters, restaurants, ect. I like it now. Very quiet, all my neighbors are at least 1/4 mile apart or more. They are mostly retired farm folk. Good, friendly people that also don’t invade my space. If I need help, I just ask, and they are there, and I’d do the same. I rarely see any law enforcement out here, there are only 4 deputies for the whole county. But any criminal would be taking their life in their hands as 100% of everyone out here is heavily armed, all the time. And as they say, it’s true out here, “the hills have eyes”. Outsiders stick out like a sore thumb. And, it’s nothing to have a neighbor stop by and they have an AR15 on the seat next to them. Just the way it is in this state. Since I’ve moved out here, I find I do most of my shopping online, I can get free shipping and pay the same price as if I drove into the big city. I live a simple life, I don’t need “culture”, I’ve got fiber optic cable at the road so I have good internet connections. Only thing I miss is fresh vegetables at the market, especially in the winter. The veggies have traveled a bit to get to my store. I read the local paper, they post the crime and who did it. Its mostly drug and alcohol drama crap by young people, those under 40, in the towns at the pubs. And it’s about 50% people that don’t even live in this county. Overall, it’s a good safe area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living