Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 10:45 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times

Advertisements

Asian Indians are not perceived to be dangerous by mainstream America. I'm sure you will be fine just about anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 11:47 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruishi View Post
Thanks - Yeah we're definitely looking at Texas. Just trying to find some greener areas. The sand, shrubs and cacti of south Texas is not for me lol. What is the small town in East Texas that youre thinking of?
No cacti? I was going to suggest Arizona, which is largely white and Hispanic, but I saw a lot of mixed race couples when I lived there.

We knew a lot of Indian families (south Asians) in the Phoenix area. (There're also a lot of American Indians/Native Americans). It's a mind-your-own-business, libertarian type of state, or at least it used to be before it got overrun with Californians.

Unlike Florida, Arizona's extremely dry except during monsoon season. So, it's not hot and steamy like southern Fla. in the summer, though it definitely is hot. At least you don't have to shovel snow.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:50 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
I'll reply anyway, even though you mentioned wanting greenery.

Moab, Utah is a wonderfully diverse town of artists, old hippies and tourists. If you are different, that's just more interesting. I felt welcome the moment I arrived.

4 seasons and the most dramatic scenery you can imagine. I loved it there for 10 years, rode my horse all over, kayaked and hiked. We had 5 acres of mostly sagebrush. 5 national parks nearby plus the amazing Colorado river. Population about 4,000. Or was...I love greenery too, but fell in love with the area.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:53 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Asian Indians are not perceived to be dangerous by mainstream America. I'm sure you will be fine just about anywhere.
I agree. They seem to be in a whole other category.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:54 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,831 times
Your family should focus more on just being good neighbors wherever you settle instead of searching for the least racist areas. No matter where you go you are going to find racism at some level. Unfortunately.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:00 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
South Jersey, particularly east Burlington county. Your biggest problem would be taxes though.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:20 PM

32,920 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I remember my mom commenting about the influx of Indian doctors to her area in the 1970s.

Old 06-20-2020, 01:00 AM

380 posts, read 125,679 times
Quote:
Hi all, thank you for all the responses! I will definitely check out East of Seattle (thank you Hemlock140!); as well as suburban Plainsboro, NJ and Bucks County, PA (thank you foodyum!). I put those on my list to research further. Brian_M, thanks for the tip about getting involved through school and/or church as those being the main social hubs - makes perfect sense!

Just to clarify, I'm looking for recommendations of a specific location (town, county, etc) that you've spent time in that was welcoming to people of various races (and rural enough to have 5+ acre properties).

To answer some questions, Hubby is Indian as in from India. Accent is not an issue; lived his whole life here.

Thank you again for any further location suggestions!
Bensalem, PA would be a good fit. But I sense you're going to have trouble wherever you go because you're so focused on race.
BTW, I'm white, married to an Asian-American woman, living in a very white, supposedly 'racist' town and it isn't an issue. Then again, we're not looking for a boogeyman around every corner. Just be a nice person, tamp down on the sensitivity and you should be alright.

Note; White people aren't worried about Indians moving in and tearing up the neighborhood. The only complaints I ever heard are about the smell of curry cooking. I actually go to Bensalem for the Indian food.

Old 06-20-2020, 03:37 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Hi all,

I figured some of you might have relevant experience with this. Hubby and I are finally getting to the point where we are starting to seriously look for a house/property to buy (fingers crossed everything keeps going in the right direction), and finally get started with some serious homesteading goals after being stuck renting for so long. We want about 5 acres of property, so were looking a more rural areas. But I feel a bit lost as to where to start looking, because we're wanting to go out of state. The biggest concern we both have is racism that tends to be stronger in more rural areas. My husband is Indian and I am white. Whereever we move, we plan to raise our mixed-race children there, and we want to find a place our family will be generally welcome and safe. We will probably also be obviously city-dwellers, since both of us have lived most of our lives in major metropolitan areas. I've done searches for 'least racist' states, etc but when you start looking at people's comments, it highlights that every state has areas that are more bigoted and areas that are more welcoming, even among the "most racist" or "least racist" states. Florida, for example. In South Florida, its very diverse and relatively welcoming to people from all different backgrounds (but you can't escape the sprawling metropolis!). But if you drive a few hours north, its almost all white with a strong KKK presence, and many who would not welcome a Black or Brown person into their neighborhood. We're looking to get out of Florida, anyway, though (too hot and humid for me to enjoy being outside, especially working). We dont have a particular state in mind, but a place with all 4 seasons would be nice - some zone that isn't too hard to grow crops in.

So I guess I'm looking for recommendations of a particular town, city, area that you have experience in (especially would love to hear your experience if you are not white since you'd notice the subtleties that my kids would be subject to). A state is too broad to accurately comment on.

Where are the rural areas that are racially diverse (not all Black nor all White) and welcoming? By diverse, I don't mean like some places where all the Black folks live on the one side and all the white folks live on the other and no body really mixes. Technically that may be diverse, but some areas that are mostly Black wouldnt be welcoming to a Indian-White family either.

Or a place where most people would welcoming to someone Brown/mixed race even if its not that diverse?

Or a rural place that values diversity.

I'm going to make a request that this thread doesnt become a debate about racism in general - there's plenty of places on the internet for that, but this isnt one of them. I just want to see if anyone here can give me some good tips as to which towns/areas might be a good place to start looking for a safe, peaceful place to raise my family.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience and recommendations!

Look into Yellow Springs OH. Home to the well regarded and progressive Antioch College ( Coretta Scott King attended there) It's always been open to women, men, people of all races since that was a rarity. It's a pretty small town. Book stores, waterfalls, restaurants and shops. Also, Antioch University, Midewest.

Offhand, I think only 74% of the people are white. The rest is a mixture of everything else. You won't startle anyone there. Unlike other rural towns, it isn't dominated by the church. They are also used to new people. There are cultural offerings because of the college and university.

It's pretty. Good bang for your buck, too.

Old 06-20-2020, 03:40 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Hi all,

I figured some of you might have relevant experience with this. Hubby and I are finally getting to the point where we are starting to seriously look for a house/property to buy (fingers crossed everything keeps going in the right direction), and finally get started with some serious homesteading goals after being stuck renting for so long. We want about 5 acres of property, so were looking a more rural areas. But I feel a bit lost as to where to start looking, because we're wanting to go out of state. The biggest concern we both have is racism that tends to be stronger in more rural areas. My husband is Indian and I am white. Whereever we move, we plan to raise our mixed-race children there, and we want to find a place our family will be generally welcome and safe. We will probably also be obviously city-dwellers, since both of us have lived most of our lives in major metropolitan areas. I've done searches for 'least racist' states, etc but when you start looking at people's comments, it highlights that every state has areas that are more bigoted and areas that are more welcoming, even among the "most racist" or "least racist" states. Florida, for example. In South Florida, its very diverse and relatively welcoming to people from all different backgrounds (but you can't escape the sprawling metropolis!). But if you drive a few hours north, its almost all white with a strong KKK presence, and many who would not welcome a Black or Brown person into their neighborhood. We're looking to get out of Florida, anyway, though (too hot and humid for me to enjoy being outside, especially working). We dont have a particular state in mind, but a place with all 4 seasons would be nice - some zone that isn't too hard to grow crops in.

So I guess I'm looking for recommendations of a particular town, city, area that you have experience in (especially would love to hear your experience if you are not white since you'd notice the subtleties that my kids would be subject to). A state is too broad to accurately comment on.

Where are the rural areas that are racially diverse (not all Black nor all White) and welcoming? By diverse, I don't mean like some places where all the Black folks live on the one side and all the white folks live on the other and no body really mixes. Technically that may be diverse, but some areas that are mostly Black wouldnt be welcoming to a Indian-White family either.

Or a place where most people would welcoming to someone Brown/mixed race even if its not that diverse?

Or a rural place that values diversity.

I'm going to make a request that this thread doesnt become a debate about racism in general - there's plenty of places on the internet for that, but this isnt one of them. I just want to see if anyone here can give me some good tips as to which towns/areas might be a good place to start looking for a safe, peaceful place to raise my family.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience and recommendations!

Look into Yellow Springs OH. Home to the well regarded and progressive Antioch College ( Coretta Scott King attended there) It's always been open to women, men, people of all races since that was a rarity. It's a pretty small town. Book stores, waterfalls, restaurants, and shops. Also, Antioch University, Midwest.

Offhand, I think only 74% of the people are white. The rest is a mixture of everything else. You won't startle anyone there. Unlike other rural towns, it isn't dominated by the church. They are also familiar with new people. There are cultural offerings because of the college and university.

It's pretty. Good bang for your buck, too.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Yell...lnVbMOOFU4l8SM

Gambier OH and surrounds are another good choice. More white people than Yellow Springs, but by rural standards, diverse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambier,_Ohio Home to the prestigious Kenyon College. https://villageofgambier.org/

College towns are *usually* (not ALWAYS, but usually) a good bet.

Last edited by sheena12; 06-20-2020 at 03:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living