Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2020, 03:05 AM

25 posts, read 17,549 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I figured some of you might have relevant experience with this. Hubby and I are finally getting to the point where we are starting to seriously look for a house/property to buy (fingers crossed everything keeps going in the right direction), and finally get started with some serious homesteading goals after being stuck renting for so long. We want about 5 acres of property, so were looking a more rural areas. But I feel a bit lost as to where to start looking, because we're wanting to go out of state. The biggest concern we both have is racism that tends to be stronger in more rural areas. My husband is Indian and I am white. Whereever we move, we plan to raise our mixed-race children there, and we want to find a place our family will be generally welcome and safe. We will probably also be obviously city-dwellers, since both of us have lived most of our lives in major metropolitan areas. I've done searches for 'least racist' states, etc but when you start looking at people's comments, it highlights that every state has areas that are more bigoted and areas that are more welcoming, even among the "most racist" or "least racist" states. Florida, for example. In South Florida, its very diverse and relatively welcoming to people from all different backgrounds (but you can't escape the sprawling metropolis!). But if you drive a few hours north, its almost all white with a strong KKK presence, and many who would not welcome a Black or Brown person into their neighborhood. We're looking to get out of Florida, anyway, though (too hot and humid for me to enjoy being outside, especially working). We dont have a particular state in mind, but a place with all 4 seasons would be nice - some zone that isn't too hard to grow crops in.

So I guess I'm looking for recommendations of a particular town, city, area that you have experience in (especially would love to hear your experience if you are not white since you'd notice the subtleties that my kids would be subject to). A state is too broad to accurately comment on.

Where are the rural areas that are racially diverse (not all Black nor all White) and welcoming? By diverse, I don't mean like some places where all the Black folks live on the one side and all the white folks live on the other and no body really mixes. Technically that may be diverse, but some areas that are mostly Black wouldnt be welcoming to a Indian-White family either.

Or a place where most people would welcoming to someone Brown/mixed race even if its not that diverse?

Or a rural place that values diversity.

I'm going to make a request that this thread doesnt become a debate about racism in general - there's plenty of places on the internet for that, but this isnt one of them. I just want to see if anyone here can give me some good tips as to which towns/areas might be a good place to start looking for a safe, peaceful place to raise my family.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience and recommendations!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 04:55 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruishi View Post
Hi all,

I figured some of you might have relevant experience with this. Hubby and I are finally getting to the point where we are starting to seriously look for a house/property to buy (fingers crossed everything keeps going in the right direction), and finally get started with some serious homesteading goals after being stuck renting for so long. We want about 5 acres of property, so were looking a more rural areas. But I feel a bit lost as to where to start looking, because we're wanting to go out of state. The biggest concern we both have is racism that tends to be stronger in more rural areas. My husband is Indian and I am white. Whereever we move, we plan to raise our mixed-race children there, and we want to find a place our family will be generally welcome and safe. We will probably also be obviously city-dwellers, since both of us have lived most of our lives in major metropolitan areas. I've done searches for 'least racist' states, etc but when you start looking at people's comments, it highlights that every state has areas that are more bigoted and areas that are more welcoming, even among the "most racist" or "least racist" states. Florida, for example. In South Florida, its very diverse and relatively welcoming to people from all different backgrounds (but you can't escape the sprawling metropolis!). But if you drive a few hours north, its almost all white with a strong KKK presence, and many who would not welcome a Black or Brown person into their neighborhood. We're looking to get out of Florida, anyway, though (too hot and humid for me to enjoy being outside, especially working). We dont have a particular state in mind, but a place with all 4 seasons would be nice - some zone that isn't too hard to grow crops in.

So I guess I'm looking for recommendations of a particular town, city, area that you have experience in (especially would love to hear your experience if you are not white since you'd notice the subtleties that my kids would be subject to). A state is too broad to accurately comment on.

Where are the rural areas that are racially diverse (not all Black nor all White) and welcoming? By diverse, I don't mean like some places where all the Black folks live on the one side and all the white folks live on the other and no body really mixes. Technically that may be diverse, but some areas that are mostly Black wouldnt be welcoming to a Indian-White family either.

Or a place where most people would welcoming to someone Brown/mixed race even if its not that diverse?

Or a rural place that values diversity.

I'm going to make a request that this thread doesnt become a debate about racism in general - there's plenty of places on the internet for that, but this isnt one of them. I just want to see if anyone here can give me some good tips as to which towns/areas might be a good place to start looking for a safe, peaceful place to raise my family.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience and recommendations!
American Indian or Asian Indian?

I ask because if American Indian there are a multitude of areas where Indian/White couples are common. I seriously dated an Indian woman prior to meeting my wife, and there were never any questions or issues anywhere I ever went with her.

If race "diversity" is your focus, you'll probably want to be closer to more metropolitan areas. Really rural areas usually don't have a lot of minorities except in the south with blacks or the southwest with Hispanics.

In my state there are only a handful of blacks, mostly at the colleges, very few Hispanics, mostly transient working on harvesting crews or construction, and a few Asian Indians usually working in the larger towns.

But we do have a large population of American Indians. Their blended into the population so well, few even notice they're Indian.

If race is a big deal to you, you probably need to look at areas where people care about that.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:59 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Here in our suburban/rural city of 60,000 the population is 37% Asian, most of them from India. These are mostly tech employees at Amazon, Microsoft and smaller companies in the Seattle area. Properties with acreage here are two million $ and up. If you go farther out into places like Snohomish, Duvall, or Monroe it's more affordable, but more white, with more Hispanic and less Asian. I don't think you would run into any problems being accepted, however. It's really not going to be easy to find a rural area with 4 seasons and diversity.

Old 06-17-2020, 10:15 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,248,521 times
Close to a large Indian population look at rural areas around the mostly suburban plainsboro nj, near Princeton. Bucks county pa is rural with a liberal and diverse population - very lgbt friendly, and accepting.

Old 06-17-2020, 05:07 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
If you are an Asian Indian who has a strong foreign accent, you’re going to stand out more no matter where you are. People who did not live in your native country or work a lot with others of the same area probably are going to have some difficulty understanding what you say in English. Why do I say this? Because often I can barely make out what a tech support person in India is saying. This is not racism, it is just not being used to hearing the accent. People from the northern and southern US also sometimes have trouble understanding each other’s words.

Even with an “American†accent and mannerisms, you’ll still stand out more due to complexion. However, that does not necessarily mean racism will dog you. I am not Caucasian but have a totally “American†accent, and I stand out just due to visuals. Occasionally, I sense racist attitude from someone. You have to let this stuff not bug you too much or else you’ll have to live only where everybody else is just like you. THAT is not diverse, either!

Another point must be made. In my region, we have many Native Americans from several different tribes. We see them around all the time. Their ancestors lived here before any other people’s ancestors did. That long heritage and ubiquity still doesn’t mean they don’t get tons of racist crap from, well, from white people. Some white people. Including those in positions in which they really, really oughta stifle any racist comments or actions. But they don’t. Don’t expect large numbers of “peoples of color†to automatically mean acceptance.

OK, lecture over. Rural areas aren’t uniformly white and/or racist. But they are generally less diverse than cities.

Old 06-17-2020, 05:09 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
If race is a big deal to you, you probably need to look at areas where people care about that.
Have to agree. In the rural areas I've lived, people seemed to not care at all. As long as you are respectful, your pets, kids, livestock, or weeds don't cause trouble for anyone and you don't trespass, you're good.

Old 06-17-2020, 06:11 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
IMHO, you're making something out of nothing. This is very much a case of "where ever you go, there you are" ~ meaning that if you're hyper focused on racism, you will Absolutely find it. Even when it's just simple ignorance/or intended as a joke without malice. Go in with an open mind and you'll occasionally be disappointed but recognize that the overall area is far more welcoming than any urban environment. Doesn't matter where you go, this will be true. I've seen it time and time again while doing the yearly military moves. On a personal note, of all the places I've lived, the SE is the LEAST welcoming in general. Even as a white couple, moving "back" to where one of us was born and raised, it's been a struggle.

"Rural" as being on property outside of an established community (IE a town), you're going to be judged on your actions. If you're quiet(ish), show some respect, don't go all preachy on people about anything (how things were done "back home" is always a biggie, but religion and politics are right up there) and try to fit in, you will be welcomed. By welcomed, I mean people will leave you to yourself and expect you return the favor. Bring something of value, like local honey, fresh eggs, seasonal veggies, etc... and you'll have the good people beating a path to your door.

Be warned, rural and small town life tends to revolve around religion and children/school. If you're not in part of one of those 2 circles, you're going to find it hard to fit in. This is Entirely different from not being welcomed, which is what I see a lot of ex-urban people complain about.

Now, lets get to the meat and potatoes, where you might want to look. That's going to be heavily dependent on your personal preferences. Sea or lake/river or mountains or flat/farmland? summer highs in the 70's, 80's, 90's, or 100's? Winter lows in the 30's, 20's, 10's or -40's... (lol, yeah, -40 on occasional is real in multiple states). Wet and humid, or dry and arid? What kinds of things do you Require, like reliable internet and/or cell service (finding those is harder than you might think, so if you need them for work, plan ahead) ~ any kind of specialty medical needs? The more detailed you get on Must haves, the easier to narrow things down.

Then move onto likes... what do you want to spend your time doing? skiing, boating, atv/utving, biking, or just taking care of a small-holding?

You can grow "crops" everywhere. My folks had a large garden in central Wyoming while I was growing up and have a smaller one in central Montana now. You might need a greenhouse if you're looking to start from seeds and get the most growth (most people will just set hoops with plastic in the fall, then remove the hoops and plastic come May). It'll just be embracing what the area can support... you're not going to grow citrus in northern states, nor will you grow cherries in southern states. But for honest 4-seasons, you're generally looking north of a line from east to west that runs along the top of GA, AL, MS, OK, NM, AZ. I vastly prefer the Rockies west, but that's where I was born and raised, it's much more arid and needs extra work to grow things. If you want it easier, you might want to stay east of the Mississippi river or California.

Focus on what you want, not what you don't. The mind is incredible at finding Exactly what you're focused on, only it's not so good at differentiating between positive and negative. Best to just focus on the positive things and let the rest work itself out.

Old 06-17-2020, 10:58 PM

Hi all, thank you for all the responses! I will definitely check out East of Seattle (thank you Hemlock140!); as well as suburban Plainsboro, NJ and Bucks County, PA (thank you foodyum!). I put those on my list to research further. Brian_M, thanks for the tip about getting involved through school and/or church as those being the main social hubs - makes perfect sense!

Just to clarify, I'm looking for recommendations of a specific location (town, county, etc) that you've spent time in that was welcoming to people of various races (and rural enough to have 5+ acre properties).

To answer some questions, Hubby is Indian as in from India. Accent is not an issue; lived his whole life here.

Thank you again for any further location suggestions!

Old 06-18-2020, 01:10 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Well, all through the rural South there are black people; Texas is full of both black and Hispanic people; Oklahoma and the entire Southwest are full of Hispanics and American Indians.

Asian Indians are not commonly met with in rural America, but in a certain small town in East Texas there's a fairly prominent business that's run by Asian Indians that I know of.

I suspect you're worrying more than you need to.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, all through the rural South there are black people; Texas is full of both black and Hispanic people; Oklahoma and the entire Southwest are full of Hispanics and American Indians.

Asian Indians are not commonly met with in rural America, but in a certain small town in East Texas there's a fairly prominent business that's run by Asian Indians that I know of.

I suspect you're worrying more than you need to.

Thanks - Yeah we're definitely looking at Texas. Just trying to find some greener areas. The sand, shrubs and cacti of south Texas is not for me lol. What is the small town in East Texas that youre thinking of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living