Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 06:05 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Fiber optic is a type of cable that is incredibly fast. ... Almost all traffic around the world is on fiber optic cabling. ...

I got lucky, our condo bldg (finished in 2018) has 100% fiber. So I get Gig Internet right in our unit.

But again, fiber is not an option for 99% of this country.
Condo?

I think Houston might be the nearest condo to me...
> Rural and Small Town Living > Satellite internet and landline phone only available options

When Texas flattens the curve (2024?) Maybe the library will reopen so we can get to town and have free WiFi for a couple hours a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 07:07 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,236,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Condo?

I think Houston might be the nearest condo to me...
> Rural and Small Town Living > Satellite internet and landline phone only available options

When Texas flattens the curve (2024?) Maybe the library will reopen so we can get to town and have free WiFi for a couple hours a week.
Sorry, unclear post on my part. We split our time between our ranch near Independence (Brenham area), and our condo in Houston. I'm in this thread because I have years of experience dealing with Internet in rural settings.

nowhereman427 had asked about fiber, and I was explaining, and then happened to mention our condo has fiber, which is rare. But yeah, I share the same challenges as most of you in trying to get Internet outside of urban areas. Although this new Nextlink I started using a couple weeks ago is pretty darn good!

Thanks for the chance to clarify.

Old 07-11-2020, 11:21 AM
KCZ

4,677 posts, read 3,671,743 times
OP, unlike others, my landline connection has been the most reliable of any telecom service over the past 20 years. And if you can get DSL, it will likely be better than any currently available satellite service. However, be aware that all DSL is not created equal. Depending on your location and provider, you may be able to get 100 mbps which will let you stream anything, or 3 mbps which will limit you to Email and websurfing.

Old 07-12-2020, 06:56 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
OP, unlike others, my landline connection has been the most reliable of any telecom service over the past 20 years. And if you can get DSL, it will likely be better than any currently available satellite service. However, be aware that all DSL is not created equal. Depending on your location and provider, you may be able to get 100 mbps which will let you stream anything, or 3 mbps which will limit you to Email and websurfing.
My DSL is about to bring me to tears. Almost 8 weeks since the initial order and I still don't have an operational system.

It's not a matter of speed, that off either system falls far short of a mbps; it's just a simple point that it is not consistent and during downloads, that's fatal. At best, when the DSL konks out and doesn't come back, I can reboot it.

Is it better than the satellite? Not right now in my humble opinion. People say that for the price I am paying for satellite, 5G/$75 (and then the speed is reduced), G/$3 afterwards, I'm getting ripped off....but it's the only system available as oppose to no system at all.

If I had known that the Internet out in the country would be like this when I was in the city, I would have been recording and downloading a whole lot more.

Hence, it is back to what I said about submarine games in more detail. Find a location where you can do downloads to store and bring them home. Start a time table when you can download "efficiently". And.......use the lack of Internet to discourage all those who might want to move in with you.

Old 07-12-2020, 05:07 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
The old landlines were still the best. Very clear no static or fade out. Very reliable form of communication. Don't like this cellphone unclear stuff. Speaker phones also the worst even more unclear with echo and signal break up.

Old 07-13-2020, 05:33 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,058,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I'm only a few miles south of Wooster, but my DSL is limited to 6 mbps. I've also had a recurring problem for many years with line hum and dropped DSL. I hope the last recent fix has solved the problem.

Old 07-13-2020, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
The old landlines were still the best. Very clear no static or fade out. Very reliable form of communication. Don't like this cellphone unclear stuff. Speaker phones also the worst even more unclear with echo and signal break up.
I agree, if you have a good connection. I also have trouble understanding cell phone and speaker phone calls.

Old 07-13-2020, 07:48 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I agree, if you have a good connection. I also have trouble understanding cell phone and speaker phone calls.
Also my hand goes numb using cellphone if holding it for a long period of time as a phone. I never had that problem with the land line. Of course this smart phone stuff is just another distraction that has taken everything one step further in technology but in many ways making life that much more difficult as to keeping up and having to upgrade/update. It's the same with these computers.
Don't forget distracted driving with motorists on their phones not paying attention.

More kids/younger people are having more posture and multi-skeletonal problems with their hands, wrists, repetitive injuries, back and neck problems. It's from these smartphones, video games and computers.

I wish we had the old landlines of the 70's and 80s.
This VOIP phone or internet phone/computer package is just not clear and if there is a power outgage the phones go down.
We didn't have that problem with landlines.

Old 07-14-2020, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Also my hand goes numb using cellphone if holding it for a long period of time as a phone. I never had that problem with the land line. Of course this smart phone stuff is just another distraction that has taken everything one step further in technology but in many ways making life that much more difficult as to keeping up and having to upgrade/update. It's the same with these computers.
Don't forget distracted driving with motorists on their phones not paying attention.

More kids/younger people are having more posture and multi-skeletonal problems with their hands, wrists, repetitive injuries, back and neck problems. It's from these smartphones, video games and computers.

I wish we had the old landlines of the 70's and 80s.
This VOIP phone or internet phone/computer package is just not clear and if there is a power outgage the phones go down.
We didn't have that problem with landlines.
Some businesses are using the internet for their landline phone service. The city and library that I worked for both did that. Clarity suffered as a result of the change. I have always had trouble understanding conversations under noisy conditions, and having tinnitus now does not help matters.

Old 07-16-2020, 03:01 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
It depends on the Internet Phone System (VOIP) you are on, as to the sound qualit. We use OOMA which is the choice of many small businesses, and it has better sound quality than the Landline we formerly had by far. As it is designed for small business, it has a tremendous amount of features much more than a normal land line and all at no charge, and I have 2 lines and one can be used for a Fax machine if desired. Cost $10 per month with unlimited free calling in North America. Plus $6 per month to the governments for taxes and fees. If you want 1 line, without a lot of extra features it is Free with $6 per month in taxes.

Where signals are weak for over the air internet, and cell phones, you may want to try an antenna booster. Can make a tremendous difference.

https://www.signalbooster.com/produc...b6ac6f3c9d5ac9
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living