Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 11:11 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withinpines View Post
We'll be building a home rurally where satellite internet, a landline phone, and dish tv are what's available. A repeater may not help our cell phones work. Any of you using satellite internet or only a landline phone?
Our local telephone lines are way too noisy to allow audio conversation. But it works okay for our internet connection. When we started over 10 years ago, the buffering was pretty bad. But now my Dw and I can both watch Netflix on different PCs and neither of the PCs will buffer at all.

The landline connection goes to a modem and then to a router. Our cellphones use the Wifi signal from the router.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2020, 06:54 PM

666 posts, read 425,890 times
Years ago, if I had to pick a destination to live, I would have held network bandwidth in top priority. It was extremely limiting.

But over the years, I have come to use computers in such a way that low bandwidth internet (even dial up, though of course this would still not be desirable) would not be much of a hindrance in my day to day life.

How is this possible? Keep everything you do with your computer as local as possible. You will find that you need network access far less than you might have first thought. Media? Download it, whether a movie or show that took a day or a week to download doesn't much matter when you plan accordingly.

Make sure to daemonize your computer to pull in content from the places you enjoy in an automated fashion when network access is available.

Old 09-17-2020, 11:15 PM

16,092 posts, read 10,757,764 times
I saw that a company is going to launch a fleet of high level blimps over very remote areas like Indian reservations to provide needed internet service. These scattered places don't have access to emergency, medical or school internet connections. I don't know how that will work...solar powered? Tethered or drones? An interesting idea.

Old 09-18-2020, 09:06 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I saw that a company is going to launch a fleet of high level blimps over very remote areas like Indian reservations to provide needed internet service. These scattered places don't have access to emergency, medical or school internet connections. I don't know how that will work...solar powered? Tethered or drones? An interesting idea.
I’ll keep my eyes peeled for articles about that. The Navajo res publishes its own newspaper that is sold at Cortez’s Walmart and the Towaoc gas station (on the Ute Mountain Utes res), among other places.

Old 09-18-2020, 12:26 PM

16,092 posts, read 10,757,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I’ll keep my eyes peeled for articles about that. The Navajo res publishes its own newspaper that is sold at Cortez’s Walmart and the Towaoc gas station (on the Ute Mountain Utes res), among other places.
I think the company is in Albuquerque.

Old 09-20-2020, 10:37 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I saw that a company is going to launch a fleet of high level blimps over very remote areas like Indian reservations to provide needed internet service. ....
Hopefully Elon has us covered ...
https://www.starlink.com/

Google and Facebook got internet to much of the 'developing' world, but not to rural USA (likely due to FCC rules).

Old 09-21-2020, 02:54 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
Most people do not know of the available internet sources in their area. A lot think there is only one, or maybe none, but if this site is used, you may find as I did in my own very rural zip code, there are 11 available.

Some I had never even knew existed in the area, including fixed towers. Asked around and residents would only know of 1 or 2.

Using the Internet and my zip code found 11, from DSL to Fixed wireless towers.

Takes a little searching, but you may find you have a lot more choice than you th ought.

Old 10-03-2020, 01:22 AM

313 posts, read 269,389 times
Thank you. The only sevices available to us are:
Verizon cell phone including their internet "jetpack"
ViaSat satellite internet
Direct/ Dish TV.

We haven't decided if we'll use landline or cell phone because Viasat tells us they can provide phone service too.
A neighbor recommends we have 2 Viasat accounts. One for kids, one for adults. She says this provides enough internet for her family.

Old 10-03-2020, 12:09 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Withinpines View Post
Thank you. The only sevices available to us are:
Verizon cell phone including their internet "jetpack"
ViaSat satellite internet
Direct/ Dish TV.

We haven't decided if we'll use landline or cell phone because Viasat tells us they can provide phone service too.
A neighbor recommends we have 2 Viasat accounts. One for kids, one for adults. She says this provides enough internet for her family.
Satellite internet has a 2 second delay because the speed of light is too slow. Musk's Starlink my eliminate that lag by using LEO satellites. He's launching them like gangbusters, 100 at a pop. Until that's available, stick with land line for phone use.

Old 10-04-2020, 10:56 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
If you can get internet service fast enough to stream movies, you can get Internet phone service. We use OOMA which gives us two lines with different numbers, and lots of extra services. Can set up each line with a different ring, and designate what phone answers which line. Designed for home workers who use one line for home phone and one for business, or one for work and home combined and the other one for a fax machine.

High cost though. $16 per month, for unlimited free long distance in North America, and many extras. $10 for phone service, and $6 for fed, state, and local charges and taxes. Sound is much better than the phone company line we replaced and save lots of money. You can get one line for $6 for fees and taxes, FREE without all the extras.

https://www.ooma.com/promo/services/...6a27f68b618928
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living