Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 10:58 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times

Advertisements

Bundled package total infinity cable, computer and phone here $220+
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2020, 07:12 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Satellite internet has a 2 second delay because the speed of light is too slow. Musk's Starlink my eliminate that lag by using LEO satellites. He's launching them like gangbusters, 100 at a pop. Until that's available, stick with land line for phone use.
Bullcrap. The speed of light and the electromagnetic spectrum is 186,282 miles per SECOND. Geosynchronous satellites are only 22,300 miles up. Real latency is around 7 MS. (.007 second). Even under bad situations the lag in a phone conversation in barely noticeable.

Old 10-08-2020, 04:25 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
And that is why, the satellite Internet systems, offer satellite phones. They work well.

We have one cell phone used when away from home, and a land line, which is an OOMA Voip (just plugged into our wireless router) phone with a normal Internet provider. It has better sound than our former phone company phone. Cost is great, which is Free calling including long distance for $0 plus $6 for federal. local, and state phone taxes and fees, or in our case, 2 lines with a huge number of extra services for $10 per month plus the $6 fees. Can set each number goes to certain phones, or as we do go to all 4 phones in house. Designed for small home businesses, or for people working from home, with one phone for business use and one for home use as an example. Can also have one line used for Fax Machines. Can also use with a satellite phone system.

We have a daughter in law, that lives in a small more remote town, with lower speed satellite system, and it still will works well with an OOMA phone and they only use the free one, with $6 per month government fees.

I know one man that had to start working at home in a week. To put in a land line would take a month to get installed at a several hundred dollar charge to put in a line. Got an OOMA 2 line phone, in 3 days to have the phone box sent to him, and was off and running by the time he started working from home.

It is amazing reading some of these threads, how little people understand about how the phone systems have changed over the years and their options.

They will think they have only one or two choices of Internet, but if they make a search for available internet providers they may as I did for our small town where I thought there was only one choice out of the city limits found there were 11 in the area, including two different tower systems no one I knew had even heard of. And some were were way cheaper than the phone company I knew of.

Old 10-12-2020, 12:31 AM

I just talked to my son's widow, and my 30 year old grand daughter. The widow, granddaughter, and her husband, along with his mother share a big house in Northern Montana. Widow is retired, his mother is retired and needs a caregiver. The widow worked for 30 years in the hospital, so is the caregiver with the government paying her to take care of her. The husband was severely injured on the job and is retired for medical reasons. My granddaughter got cancer in a foot, and they have had to cut half of it away, and constantly medical checkup to know if more needs to be cut away. I found they have a $49 home phone with no cell phone available but are running $50 plus calling hospital in Billings. As she said, the majority of that cost is waiting for an opening to talk to who she is trying to reach.

I told them about the OOMA phone when mentioned above when I found out their problem, and their total phone bill is now $16 per month for all calls made in the USA, with no long distance calls and no limits. They have set it up, so the widow has her number and grand daughter and husband have the other one with each having a different ring tones. And there are so many free extras included, that often cost extra with the phone company. She says not it is free to call us, she can call me and check on her grandmother.

Old 10-13-2020, 12:19 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Bullcrap. The speed of light and the electromagnetic spectrum is 186,282 miles per SECOND. Geosynchronous satellites are only 22,300 miles up. Real latency is around 7 MS. (.007 second). Even under bad situations the lag in a phone conversation in barely noticeable.
Your arithmetic is wrong. Two round trips to synchronous orbit, plus the third legs of the triangle because the satellite is not directly overhead, is over 100,000 miles. Nobody ever got a 7 ms ping over satellite. Ever. The absolute best you can expect is around 700 ms, 100x your number. Plus, you have to run through two RAMDACs for audio, your local router and modem, and whatever ping the other end is running. Satellite voice is possible, but you are going to spend a lot of time waiting for the other person to respond.

Starlink will do better, when it comes online. Elon Musk will own the internet.

Old 10-13-2020, 03:01 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Quote:
Your arithmetic is wrong. Two round trips to synchronous orbit, plus the third legs of the triangle because the satellite is not directly overhead, is over 100,000 miles. Nobody ever got a 7 ms ping over satellite. Ever. The absolute best you can expect is around 700 ms, 100x your number. Plus, you have to run through two RAMDACs for audio, your local router and modem, and whatever ping the other end is running. Satellite voice is possible, but you are going to spend a lot of time waiting for the other person to respond.

Starlink might be as low as 20-25ms. Huge game changer.

Old 10-14-2020, 02:03 AM

Quote:

You apparently have never used satellite phone system, available through your satellite Internet provider. It works better than a lot of rural phone systems.

Old 10-14-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
You apparently have never used satellite phone system, available through your satellite Internet provider. It works better than a lot of rural phone systems.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...vWh-gVLQ70c6aI

Note in the Wikipedia article it says average latency is 638 ms.

That means that when you speak, the other person hears it around 6/10th of a second later. When they speak, you hear it 6/10th of a second later. These are the laws of physics and can’t be improved upon if a satellite is in geostationary orbit.

(This assumes you’re not using Globalstar or Iridium satellite phones, which are in low earth orbit and have much lower latencies.)

For person to person phone conversations, a second or 2 of latency isn’t terrible (you can account for it), but for some things like online gaming and video conferencing it makes things pretty much unusable in many situations.

Old 10-14-2020, 03:29 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Quote:

Oh ferPeteSake.

"Across their footprint, the average latency on Viasat Internet speed tests is 3.07ms. In context, terrestrial connections generally perform in the 5–70ms range"

Source: https://broadbandnow.com/Exede-Internet-speed-test

I HAVE satellite internet. I don't spend a lot of time waiting for the other person to respond. The only notable difference is when people tend to run-on talking, and don't pause a reasonable time for a response, there will be overlap between the response and the original talker resuming talking. If you are a motormouth who barely lets anyone get a word in edgewise, satellite might not be the best choice (or maybe it is???).

I wonder if you were thinking of the conversations between Apollo 11 and ground control. There was a very noticeable delay there and EME communication does have a roughly 2.5 second delay.

Old 10-16-2020, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Oh ferPeteSake.

"Across their footprint, the average latency on Viasat Internet speed tests is 3.07ms. In context, terrestrial connections generally perform in the 5–70ms range"

Source: https://broadbandnow.com/Exede-Internet-speed-test

I HAVE satellite internet. I don't spend a lot of time waiting for the other person to respond. The only notable difference is when people tend to run-on talking, and don't pause a reasonable time for a response, there will be overlap between the response and the original talker resuming talking. If you are a motormouth who barely lets anyone get a word in edgewise, satellite might not be the best choice (or maybe it is???).

I wonder if you were thinking of the conversations between Apollo 11 and ground control. There was a very noticeable delay there and EME communication does have a roughly 2.5 second delay.
There is no way Viasat satellite internet has 3ms latency. No way at all. It is physically IMPOSSIBLE. I’m on fiber and I have around 8-9ms latency which is phenomenal.

Just to prove out the math -

Speed of light is 186,200 miles per second.
Geostationary satellite is around 22,300 miles up.

Therefore just the satellite portion is (22,300 x 2)/186,200 = .239 seconds or 239ms. This is just those portions and are bound by the laws of physics. This doesn’t include time between your computer and your dish, processing and routing time on the satellite, and then processing and routing time at the satellite provider’s link, etc.

So it is impossible with today’s satellites to get latency less than 250ms.

Even their own website shows differently than 3ms.

https://corpblog.viasat.com/satellit...-the-big-deal/

“What exactly is latency, anyway?
Latency is a measurement of time delay in any kind of system. In satellite communications, it’s the length of time that it takes our signal to travel from your home to the satellite in orbit above the Earth), and then down to a ground-based gateway which connects you to the internet. Each leg of that journey is about 22,300 miles, which sounds like a long way until you realize that our signal travels at the speed of light ( 186,282 miles per second). The whole round-trip is measured in milliseconds, often referred to as “ping.” The ping on satellite internet is usually around 638 ms, compared to ping of 30 ms or less on a typical cable network.

Also read this

https://corpblog.viasat.com/things-t...ing-on-viasat/

FPS games are very laggy on satellite and almost unplayable.

To put this to bed, run a speed check and let us know.

Last edited by markjames68; 10-16-2020 at 06:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living