Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2020, 02:56 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,360,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Tractors and other implements are driven off in the middle of the night, loaded onto flatbed semis, and are in another state before the sun comes up.
Or here in Texas, another country.

Large free-ranging dogs and security cameras can prevent a lot of this mischief though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 04:26 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Or here in Texas, another country.

Large free-ranging dogs and security cameras can prevent a lot of this mischief though.
Trail cams work too.

Old 07-15-2020, 04:36 PM

7,649 posts, read 4,603,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
No,sir!
Property theft is very bad in rural areas. So is family/acquaintance violence. The gun prevalence tends to make the second more lethal, and it doesn't stop the first, as thieves in the country are gun owners too.

There's always been plenty of crime in the countryside. The least populous counties are also the most prone to the crimes because there aren't enough police.

The average stolen car has multiple ways of finding it once stolen, but a $250,000 tractor can be driven off a field in the middle of the night with nothing needed except the knowledge of how to start and drive it.
Tractors and other implements are driven off in the middle of the night, loaded onto flatbed semis, and are in another state before the sun comes up.

Same goes with livestock. Rustlers are still at it using modern methods.

Robbing farmers is a good way to shorten one's life expectancy significantly.

Old 07-15-2020, 05:15 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,360,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Trail cams work too.
Yes. My security cams are much like trail cams, i.e., with nightvision, motion-detection but with a remote hidden recording device.

Old 07-15-2020, 05:41 PM

983 posts, read 932,525 times
I think lots of city people will move to already built-up suburbs that are within an hour or so of major cities. I don't think many will move to really RURAL areas.

Old 07-15-2020, 05:44 PM

983 posts, read 932,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Before the virus (B.V.?) I read a report that factories in small towns all across America were having trouble finding and retaining young employees. Those surveyed said they could double production if they had more people, but only about 40-50% of applicants could even pass a substance test, and most of the rest simply didn't want to stay long term.
It's hard farm labor, which needs to be done by young people, who are nowadays a lot more tech-savvy and tech focused. I'm not surprised it's hard to find people at the absolutely rock bottom wages offered for these jobs. Minimum wage doesn't cover rent or the cost of buying a home anywhere, even in really cheap rural areas. People always complain "We can't find americans to do this job" but that's BS, the real statement is "we're too cheap to pay a fair wage for americans to do this job"

Old 07-15-2020, 06:13 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
It's hard farm labor, which needs to be done by young people, who are nowadays a lot more tech-savvy and tech focused. I'm not surprised it's hard to find people at the absolutely rock bottom wages offered for these jobs. Minimum wage doesn't cover rent or the cost of buying a home anywhere, even in really cheap rural areas. People always complain "We can't find americans to do this job" but that's BS, the real statement is "we're too cheap to pay a fair wage for americans to do this job"
gOOD old fashion physical work never did hurt anyone. These computers, screens, smartphones do a lot of damage to your eyes, back, neck, and posture.

Old 07-15-2020, 07:35 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The effect of the low fertility rate would deter me from moving to a rural area.

In Japan, due to their low 1.2 fertility rate, rural towns are closing down, and they're fleeing to Tokyo for better services, specifically medical services. It's also happening in Spain and France, rural towns becoming ghost towns.
You have to do extensive research as some rural areas have growing or stable populations, and others decline by 10% per decade. The latter are sub-investment grade unfortunately, they have far too many problems and generally have high out-migration and poverty rates. The retiree/recreation/resort rural counties tend to fare far better because they usually have dollars flowing in from wealthier metro areas to a certain extent.

Old 07-15-2020, 07:44 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,478,553 times
I doubt it. Things have to get REALLY bad for any "meaningful" migration to rural areas. We're talking "the Plague"/Black Death levels where the death rate was 25%. They wonder why nobody's burying bodies?... well, the guy who usually does that just died. The nobility fled the cities for the country. Don't get me wrong, COVID-19 can definitely spiral out of control, overwhelm ICUs, and even 1% of 330 million Americans is still 3.3 million if that's the death rate (not even counting those who sustain permanent injuries)-.
It's already mentioned that rural life is faar too different than city life. There are tradeoffs to both, but those who go from one to another definitely need to make major adjustments, and many decide not to make that leap. Plus, you only move if you need to, as it's often a huge risk (save for more local moves, like down the street).

Old 07-15-2020, 09:30 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Another member reminded me of something more rare.

When thieves are caught out in the country, they have been known to come back and burn the place down later to get rid of evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living