Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2020, 04:45 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,438,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
No. Cities are where it's happening. Friends, culture, jobs, excitement, services, public transportation, interesting people, all ages, restaurants, ability to get groceries & liquor of any kind, airports.
The need to be located QUITE so close to city center has been mitigated by 3rd party delivery, picking up where the restaurants and grocery stores leave off. Without which, I'd spend a lot of time on the road, and standing in line.

Right now, and even during the first weeks following the COVID announcements, my worst enemy has been traffic/commute. I work an off-shift so congestion really isn't a factor unless I have to leave the house early and run errands. Then, I run into everyone on their lunch break.

Still, my fair-skies commute is 35 minutes. Without a SIGNIFICANT investment in housing upgrade, I won't be getting much (any) closer. I got my house at 1/3 of the city's average single family home price (per this website) for it being small, far-flung from city center (but still in the city limits), and needing a few repairs, all combined totaling a hair under $10k. But the point is, said and done, it was still less than half as expensive as a starter 3/2, 10 minutes from work.

What do I have to lose? 50 minutes a day (round trip, the 25+25 minute difference each way). How long would the shorter commute take to "pay off" the more expensive house that I don't necessarily want? I can "assume" errands will take less time, but that's highly dependent on what I choose NOT to do online, and the lines in the actual stores aren't any shorter. In fact, there's a good chance they may be longer.

While I feel my concerns are relatively minor compared to some supercommuters and residents of larger cities, it was (and still is, after thinking for some time about it) the best balance given where my job (which I like) is located. The bolded "amenities" above, to me, are "fluff". Soft niceties that "sell" a city to prospective residents, but when it boils down to it, come at an awful premium that not everyone is willing to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2020, 10:10 PM

961 posts, read 2,504,988 times
For whatever my opinions are worth...I give the following. With all the current " stuff" going on, there has been a big interest by downstaters..in acquiring rural property in upstate NY. For those who have been buying year round homes to use weekends or for that bugout situation( that you are careful not to mention)..do remember a year round home requires year round attention. A couple from NJ found this out the hard way in their home purchase just down the road from me ( large tree across their driveway, water line break in the house, damage from a storm they never knew about + more). For older folks who buy a weekend place, and then make the move to live there year round...do not underestimate potential health issues and all the problems they bring...distance to docs, dentists, hospitals, specialized care, getting there in rough winter weather, etc... I have seen a couple older folks resell their
rural place to get closer to medical care.

Old 07-26-2020, 07:50 AM

20,058 posts, read 20,872,330 times
*supposedly* something like 500k have already left NYC for the burbs or rural areas. A decent percentage have stated they will not be going back and have listed their NYC residence for sale. A good majority have headed out to their 2nd homes in the Hamptons and the North Fork. There has been a verified uptick in school registrations.

It's all fun and games now with the nice weather...beaches, boating, restaurants etc, but let's see how they hold up come fall and into winter when everything shuts down and there is NOTHING to do. Their snot nose kids will go bonkers probably more so.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:18 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,941,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
*supposedly* something like 500k have already left NYC for the burbs or rural areas. A decent percentage have stated they will not be going back and have listed their NYC residence for sale. A good majority have headed out to their 2nd homes in the Hamptons and the North Fork. There has been a verified uptick in school registrations.

It's all fun and games now with the nice weather...beaches, boating, restaurants etc, but let's see how they hold up come fall and into winter when everything shuts down and there is NOTHING to do. Their snot nose kids will go bonkers probably more so.
and they'll ruin those communities with their liberal big-city values. Then, they'll look for yet another fresh, safe community to move to and spoil.

Old 07-26-2020, 10:50 AM

5,955 posts, read 2,883,450 times
Flee citys. I hope not ,I dont like crime.

Old 07-26-2020, 01:21 PM

20,058 posts, read 20,872,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
and they'll ruin those communities with their liberal big-city values. Then, they'll look for yet another fresh, safe community to move to and spoil.
It's already happening. They've got my area turned upside down already. They are destroying our quality of life. 200 years down the drain in a few short months. We try to make a stand and we're portrayed as the bad guys. Makes me sick. Families that have been here generations are leaving. Which in turn gives these cidiots even more power.
It's really getting to me. I'm about to flip out.

Old 07-26-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
It's already happening. They've got my area turned upside down already. They are destroying our quality of life. 200 years down the drain in a few short months. We try to make a stand and we're portrayed as the bad guys. Makes me sick. Families that have been here generations are leaving. Which in turn gives these cidiots even more power.
The only defense is to have lots of kids. The city people aren't having kids, or are having very small families. So out-breed them!

Old 07-26-2020, 02:16 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,607,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
The only defense is to have lots of kids. The city people aren't having kids, or are having very small families. So out-breed them!
Good, go move to Utah then. More population growth always eventually means more demands for services, amenities and everything else to go along with tax and COL increases. Ridiculous.

Old 07-26-2020, 02:20 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,607,911 times
Quote:
I take it you live in the Tri-State area close to the NYC exodus. I am quite sorry to hear that if that is the case, that is the unfortunate reality of having smaller cities and towns adjacent to an 18 million metro area. Not a good scenario with covid right now until vaccine comes along. The only areas that are really safe from out-migration of large metro areas are much more rural areas many hours removed from population centers, unfortunately.

Old 07-26-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Good, go move to Utah then. More population growth always eventually means more demands for services, amenities and everything else to go along with tax and COL increases. Ridiculous.
Not necessarily. It does mean, however, more of a commitment to a safe, stable community with good schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living