Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2020, 04:49 PM

9,459 posts, read 5,229,337 times

Advertisements

You need to go to somewhere with a long winter. Keeps out the riff raff and the people who stay here thru it WANT to be here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2020, 04:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
People are moving Already not necessarily rural areas but from trouble spots

Old 09-21-2020, 09:32 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
In sparsely populated places like west Texas, the sheriff basically relies on armed citizens to maintain law and order.
Even more so in the Pro-2A states, wherever the population-density drops below 10 people per square-mile, the residents are armed and they defend themselves.

Old 09-22-2020, 01:36 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
You need to go to somewhere with a long winter. Keeps out the riff raff and the people who stay here thru it WANT to be here.
That would be Wyoming

Old 09-22-2020, 01:59 PM

20,051 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Quote:
I thought the same, not working out too well for me with the places I'm looking.
They're still coming.
Maybe one good winter will chase them away. IDK...

Old 09-23-2020, 12:52 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
What I've observed (and an NAR poll of people planning to move in the next year has confirmed) is people, as a result of the pandemic and sheltering at home, discovering, and more importantly their companies discovering, that work at home is not only feasible but that it means they can live wherever they want and are not restricted to being close to an office. Thus, they are moving or planning to move where they think they wanted to live all along. I don't really see this boding well for rural areas because of the whole citiots problem. The other good news is that kids who might have had to leave the country whether they wanted to or not simply because of employment can find work where they can work at home and still stay where they want to live. I've known a few that have done that over the years (one of our city councilmen quite a while ago moved to California for work, and then came back home and continued to work for that company, and there were companies courting rural residents to train for work they could do at home up near Dallas - that might take off now).

Old 09-24-2020, 07:27 AM

961 posts, read 2,504,692 times
Default Followup on your post.

Quote:
Was out to California (last Nov)to bring back a 4x4 from a guy I knew in the military. Last time I was out that way...10 years+. .This time, L.A. was definitely not anything like my last visit. Dirtier, with homeless encampents in many places. I was told by a couple LEOS I know out there, that many of these street folks resist any attempts at being in a shelter.

Old 09-24-2020, 07:29 AM

961 posts, read 2,504,692 times
...I forgot to add to my reply..that I am sure the moderate climate out there helps facilitate street encampents....

Old 09-25-2020, 07:59 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
Was out to California (last Nov)to bring back a 4x4 from a guy I knew in the military. Last time I was out that way...10 years+. .This time, L.A. was definitely not anything like my last visit. Dirtier, with homeless encampents in many places. I was told by a couple LEOS I know out there, that many of these street folks resist any attempts at being in a shelter.
It's only got worse and over time it will get even more worst

Old 09-27-2020, 03:17 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
It's only got worse and over time it will get even more worst
By this time next year the US will have 10x the number of homeless. Right now we only have about a quarter of a million unsheltered homeless in the US. What are we going to do when we have 2.5 million? They will cluster in mild climates, and overwhelm places like Florida and Southern California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living