Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2020, 03:26 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times

Advertisements

In our nearest big city [Bangor Maine] all homeless are offered a greyhound ticket to Santa Barbara. To get them out of here before winter comes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2020, 06:08 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,045,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
A TV person tonight hypothesized that many Americans will flee the cities and move to rural America. Personally, I doubt it. Americans love the suburban lifestyle. But it coyld happen considering the urban unrest, cries to defund police and CV19. Plus, I've noticed that houses have been selling very fast in our rural area. What say you?

Classic overreaction.

People live in cities due to cultural amenities, jobs, and concentrations of wealth and power. Once Covid-19 passes, back to normal. The only difference will be found in the rise of the mid-sized city, which truthfully offer the best quality of life now.

The reason houses are selling very fast has more to do with interest rates below 3% than anything else.

Old 09-28-2020, 06:55 AM

363 posts, read 514,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
A TV person tonight hypothesized that many Americans will flee the cities and move to rural America. Personally, I doubt it. Americans love the suburban lifestyle. But it coyld happen considering the urban unrest, cries to defund police and CV19. Plus, I've noticed that houses have been selling very fast in our rural area. What say you?
Well Manhattan is a mess, so many people fleeing , there are not enough moving trucks. People are bringing moving trucks in from neighboring states to help.

Los Angeles has something like 20% unemployment, upwards of 50% in the entertainment/creative sectors. And many have fled from there. Productions have fallen off, trade is stymied, there's just no jobs. High end folks are getting laid off (to speak nothing of the rest). The few lucky folks that can work remotely from home will prevail, for a while.

In Boston, they are fleeing to wayyyy outskirt suburbs. Like what locals would consider "far away" from the city.

The big reason to live in major cities is that's where there are *things to do*. Now with the plague, the "things to do" are no more, or very limited. So that makes a $2500/month 2 bed apartment in Los Angeles or Boston look much less attractive. "location". At this point, you're now paying for nothing. People are seeing the major metros are not worth the price, because you can wall yourself in anywhere.

So yes, people will be fleeing cities; they already are. In great numbers, as the moving tuck shortage in Manhattan shows. Hopefully this means rents will drop in the major Metros, and also, people will perhaps start to repopulate the rural areas.
Time will tell.

Old 09-28-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
In our nearest big city [Bangor Maine] all homeless are offered a greyhound ticket to Santa Barbara. To get them out of here before winter comes.
That is very sad. And unethical.
Nevada bussed their homeless to Los Angeles years ago- folks taken right out of mental hospitals and drug rehab places. Hence Los Angeles as the homeless capitol of the US.

Santa Barbara is a small town, not equipped to accommodate busloads of homeless.

It's hard to believe Maine would do this. The tickets themselves would be more expensive than Maine just housing them in hotels or some other place. Not like Maine has a lot of homeless.
Why not ship them to Mass?

Old 09-28-2020, 10:56 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,939,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pyg1a55 View Post
That is very sad. And unethical.
Nevada bussed their homeless to Los Angeles years ago- folks taken right out of mental hospitals and drug rehab places. Hence Los Angeles as the homeless capitol of the US.

Santa Barbara is a small town, not equipped to accommodate busloads of homeless.

It's hard to believe Maine would do this. The tickets themselves would be more expensive than Maine just housing them in hotels or some other place. Not like Maine has a lot of homeless.
You have to admit, it's a great idea. Raise the money for one-way tickets to [fill-in-the-name-of-some-city-you-hate] and send all the homeless there. No law against it.

Old 09-28-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pyg1a55 View Post
... Santa Barbara is a small town, not equipped to accommodate busloads of homeless.

It's hard to believe Maine would do this. ...
These homeless people prefer to stay in encampments in the woods within the city limits of Bangor.

Bangor does not have surplus apartments to house these people. Our homeless shelters are full.

I have an apartment building that we just finished rehabbing this Spring [during the lockdown] and it was immediately filled with a mixture of college students and ex-felon parolees. Bangor's 'homeless coordinator' knows me and she wants to house homeless in my building. But, ... at least with parolees I have the parole officer on speed dial, if I have any problems I call him, and he fixes the issues [under threat of hauling the parolees right back to prison].

Quote:
... The tickets themselves would be more expensive than Maine just housing them in hotels or some other place. Not like Maine has a lot of homeless.
The bus ticket is less than one-half of one months rent. I just checked on https://www.greyhound.com/en/ecommerce/schedule

Most of those guys came to Maine from Mass.

Old 09-28-2020, 01:41 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,818,275 times
All those homeless could be helping with land management to prevent fires.... kinda like the CCC days during the 30's. Win-win in my book.

Those same folks like the outdoors and rural America. They would do just fine.

Old 09-28-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
All those homeless could be helping with land management to prevent fires.... kinda like the CCC days during the 30's. Win-win in my book.

In the 1980s, I took my bride out to my native state [California] where we both attended college for four years. One time while driving through the mountains, we drove through a brushfire. We got some great photos of airplanes dumping water on the fires, and my wife was amazed by the Conservation Corps folks fighting the fires. She thought they looked a lot like the seven dwarfs, all wearing hard hats and carrying shovels walking in single file alongside the road.

Old 09-29-2020, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
These homeless people prefer to stay in encampments in the woods within the city limits of Bangor.

Bangor does not have surplus apartments to house these people. Our homeless shelters are full.

I have an apartment building that we just finished rehabbing this Spring [during the lockdown] and it was immediately filled with a mixture of college students and ex-felon parolees. Bangor's 'homeless coordinator' knows me and she wants to house homeless in my building. But, ... at least with parolees I have the parole officer on speed dial, if I have any problems I call him, and he fixes the issues [under threat of hauling the parolees right back to prison].

The bus ticket is less than one-half of one months rent. I just checked on https://www.greyhound.com/en/ecommerce/schedule

Most of those guys came to Maine from Mass.
Jeeze. It's all tragic. Los Angeles homeless was a real eye opener, just absolutely horrible.

I can understand why these folks would flee from MA to ME.

Accepting homeless and parolees, you get a decent subsidy, no?

Old 09-29-2020, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post

This is the most bizarre thing I've read all week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living