Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2020, 08:51 PM

19,809 posts, read 9,371,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I don't think the homeless should be just living in public parks and pooping in the streets. I know there is such a thing as the working poor, people who are capable of working but can't afford the ridiculous rents. I don't blame them one bit.

Once upon a time, there were rooming house districts in most downtowns where men could find a bed and a hot meal for a dollar or two. There were millions of day jobs where someone might hire from a street corner, just pay guys by the day if they show up and work hard.

Women, and some families, could find shelter at rooming houses run by the Catholic Church and other charities.

Most of this stuff has been closed down for one reason or other. It's a shame.

Years ago the WSJ reported on a rooming house for homeless men, run by nuns. The city ordered them to install an elevator to comply with the law. The nuns said they couldn't afford it, but offered to carry any wheelchair-bound men up the stairs as necessary. No, said the city. So the home closed, and 50 more men ended up on the street.
If true (and I'm NOT doubting it), the bold is a perfect example of why I have such a distaste for Big Government. Rather than spend $10k or $20k (or however much) for an elevator, they decided to put 50 people out on the street. Maddening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2020, 09:43 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
If true (and I'm NOT doubting it), the bold is a perfect example of why I have such a distaste for Big Government. Rather than spend $10k or $20k (or however much) for an elevator, they decided to put 50 people out on the street. Maddening.
I own a three-story brick building, in the center of town, next door to city hall. The cost of installing an elevator is far greater than the assessed value of the entire building.

Old 10-03-2020, 10:00 PM

19,809 posts, read 9,371,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I own a three-story brick building, in the center of town, next door to city hall. The cost of installing an elevator is far greater than the assessed value of the entire building.
WOW! I had no idea, and thanks for the info!

However, I have a question -- What about one of these elevators (or is that against code):

https://www.ameriglide.com/item/Amer...kaAh-FEALw_wcB

And in doing some further research, the TOTAL cost including installation is about $50,000. Again, I understand that these kind of elevators might not meet building codes, but I would think that the government would prefer to have something like this than have 50 homeless people. (But I admit that I am probably wrong -- and, no, I am not being sarcastic.)

https://www.fixr.com/costs/elevator-...%20or%20higher.

Old 10-03-2020, 10:25 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
WOW! I had no idea, and thanks for the info!

However, I have a question -- What about one of these elevators (or is that against code):

https://www.ameriglide.com/item/Amer...kaAh-FEALw_wcB

And in doing some further research, the TOTAL cost including installation is about $50,000. Again, I understand that these kind of elevators might not meet building codes, but I would think that the government would prefer to have something like this than have 50 homeless people. (But I admit that I am probably wrong -- and, no, I am not being sarcastic.).
When we bought this building, we looked at a building on the same block that has an existing elevator in it. The quote to get that elevator up-to-code was more than the purchase price of the building.

This Spring we just finished getting the fire sprinkler system up-to-code. The sprinklers were pre-existing, they just needed to be inspected. That cost me a little over $40,000, and a three year delay [as certified sprinkler companies are in short supply and over-booked].

Old 10-22-2020, 03:26 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,029,346 times
No, population flows with the times. There will always be a population that thrives in a multimillion metropolis or just out side of one.

Not me I like nature, the peace and quite and despise all the people that won't learn English and gawk at your wife.

Couldn't do a rural area with the nearest town 50 miles away. A 15 min drive to a town of 50k would be ideal.

Old 10-22-2020, 03:35 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
No, population flows with the times. There will always be a population that thrives in a multimillion metropolis or just out side of one.

Not me I like nature, the peace and quite and despise all the people that won't learn English and gawk at your wife.

Couldn't do a rural area with the nearest town 50 miles away. A 15 min drive to a town of 50k would be ideal.
yES that's ideal 15 - 30 minutes is fine as long as you get some space wherever the house is and some distance to nearby shopping/medical.

Old 10-22-2020, 06:26 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,818,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post

The exurbs

Old 10-22-2020, 07:35 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
The exurbs
The northern states have townships, exurban areas that are often very nice within 30 minutes of cities quite often.

Old 10-23-2020, 05:26 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,818,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The northern states have townships, exurban areas that are often very nice within 30 minutes of cities quite often.
I started out living in a rural area. Dirt roads, no interstate exit, cattle pastures, ranches and farms, but the suburbs have moved closer to me, so I'm probably called the exburbs. Still on acreage though, just not as much, sold some. 10 minutes to a grocery store.

Now to my east it's equestrian, nursery's, u-picks, organic growers and to the west of me farms and ranches, when it usta be all farms and ranches.

My wife likes it, me... not so much. Dogs still run free... so there's that.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:41 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,029,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I started out living in a rural area. Dirt roads, no interstate exit, cattle pastures, ranches and farms, but the suburbs have moved closer to me, so I'm probably called the exburbs. Still on acreage though, just not as much, sold some. 10 minutes to a grocery store.

Now to my east it's equestrian, nursery's, u-picks, organic growers and to the west of me farms and ranches, when it usta be all farms and ranches.

My wife likes it, me... not so much. Dogs still run free... so there's that.
I know the feeling. I grew up in what was a small town in central NJ where everybody knew everybody. Until Urban Sprawl came from big NYC developers. Buying up and buying out families land to put in a sprawling development of McMansions and people still buy them today. So there will always be the group that thinks they are better off than you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living