Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2020, 01:34 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
We have 6 acres of which most are trees to dampen noise, keep the wind at bay, for habitat, for privacy as you mentioned and because we like trees. We have some nice 150 year old cedars, hemlock and for trees. The neighbors seem to enjoy cutting theirs so we just plant more like fast growing red cedar and native birches.
Cement all of it with a combination of paver stones.
No more fire hazard or plumbing problems with tree roots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2020, 01:41 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,487,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
You don't want city sewer service or a water company to deliver tap water to you?
No way! We have well water with an Ozone treatment system. It is much better tasting water than city water which is overchlorinated lake water with power boats and septic systems discharging into said lake.

As for septic changing to sewer, we have lots of frontage plus our home is set back from the road. $$$$$. Plus, no city services are extended beyond city limits per city code.

Yes, I prefer my rural systems.

Last edited by xPlorer48; 11-01-2020 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 11-01-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Cement all of it with a combination of paver stones.
No more fire hazard or plumbing problems with tree roots.
???????

That would be stupid, ugly and expensive to cement and use paver stones. Why on earth would you? We have a mound system septic system with no trees near the mound nor the piping.

Our land is like living in a park. We would not like living on a parking lot.

Old 11-01-2020, 01:59 PM

We recently returned from an extended trip. We met a woman who has lived in Gabbs, NV her entire life. Gabbs is an isolated town between Austin and Tonopah which are isolated, also. The population is around 150. There is no grocery store so they must drive 78 miles to Fallon for supplies. To get gas, you need to go to the bar after 3:30 to get the owner to unlock the pumps. Most people work in nearby mines or commute to Fallon.

She has a new neighbor who moved there from Salem, OR. This person wants to change some laws or behavior. One of her ideas is to only allow 2 licensed and insured vehicles per property. If you have been to rural Nevada or any other Intermountain west state in the rural parts, you will see residences filled with what we call collections. These may be trucks, RVs, tractors and other farm implements, ATVs, etc. They are there because they are needed for parts, are project vehicles or there is no scrap hauler around. Every ranch has these collections as do many rural residences. It is part of the rural western landscape.

But, this woman from Salem, OR knows better what is good for the locals than the locals do. We had a good laugh over that one.

Old 11-01-2020, 02:32 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,818,275 times
Quote:
???????

That would be stupid, ugly and expensive to cement and use paver stones. Why on earth would you? We have a mound system septic system with no trees near the mound nor the piping.

I sure that was sarcasm

Old 11-01-2020, 02:45 PM

9,537 posts, read 16,525,000 times
Yes I imagine some will but not all. There will always be people that cannot live rural, as there are those that can't live city.

Old 11-01-2020, 02:47 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
You don't want city sewer service or a water company to deliver tap water to you?
Why?

No, I do not want either of those things.

Being tied into a city sewer service will cost you a lot more every year, as compared to having a septic system.

As for bottled water, you realize they get that water from a well, right?

When you buy bottled water, you get the same water [from a well] but now it must be bottled and trucked. Which costs you more and give them a profit.

Old 11-01-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I sure that was sarcasm
I hope so. We have a state of the art septic system and state of the art ozone filter system on our well water from underground creek. The water after filtration is cold and refreshing. Hey, maybe we should bottle it to sell.

Old 11-01-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
???????

Not a parking lot.
Why is it stupid? Explain? Not stupid but expensive $$$$ cost me over $30,000 to do it here and I don't have an acre of land. Ugly? Ugly to you Not me.... Why? Ground will be stable and flat. Because cement is easy to clean very neat and see things out there. No maintenance. Paver stones shift with the ground movement unlike cement that cracks. Pavers cost alot more than cement so so half and half just like I currently have is fine. A nice sterile clean environment. I can put grass or trees where I decide to for privacy reasons.

Low to no maintenance, super clean and less insects. Paver stones can also be used as a landing strip for small plane. It's all in the landscaping. There will be trees of course planted where I want them to be for shade and other purposes. No weeds or dirt.

Last edited by nowhereman427; 11-01-2020 at 10:00 PM..

Old 11-01-2020, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Why?

No, I do not want either of those things.

Being tied into a city sewer service will cost you a lot more every year, as compared to having a septic system.

As for bottled water, you realize they get that water from a well, right?

When you buy bottled water, you get the same water [from a well] but now it must be bottled and trucked. Which costs you more and give them a profit.
You will need filters regardless if it's water from well especially or if it's is from the city. Could be hard water in any case. When that septic system needs replacement $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living