Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2020, 09:44 PM

19,814 posts, read 9,371,980 times

Advertisements

I just received the following from the realtor we bought our lot from in 2018 (my italics):

"In comparison to 2019, when we thought we had a low inventory, the comparison is much greater now with inventories even lower!! In [our county]. inventory is down a total of 236 offerings.

"Comparing 2019 to 2020 3rd Quarter Statistics, we see the following quarterly changes: Residential Homes prices increased by 22%; Vacant Land prices by 24%; Residential Condominium prices by 44%; and finally Hotel Condominium prices by 17%."
[end quote]

And this is an area in which, last time I checked (about April, I think), a real estate trends report, said that prices were projected to increase only 1% for the next yea! Of course, this was before the BLM riots and the pandemic, although I don't how how much of a factor, if any, this had on prices.

So whether this applies to other rural areas, I have no idea, but we live a mostly affluent and very tourist-oriented community, and the year-round population of our entire county is only about 28,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2020, 09:45 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
With the Covid-19 spreading more and more there will be no rural or small town living left.

Old 11-01-2020, 10:04 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
You will need filters regardless if it's water from well especially or if it's is from the city. Could be hard water in any case. When that septic system needs replacement $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
If your local aquifer has a lot of minerals or arsenic in it, then maybe you might need filters. Most wells are not filtered. My well is not filtered. When I built this house, I plumbed the water, I originally installed a 0.5 micron filter. But after about 5 years we realized there has not been anything in the water for it to filter. So I removed the filter element and just let the water flow freely through the filter housing.

I built my leech field myself. The septic engineer I hired to determine where it needed to be located gave me a detailed brochure about how a leech field needs to be built to be legal. It took me about a week and $100 of materials. Leech fields never clog in less than 30 years, so I have a long time before I need to worry. Often leech fields are good for centuries.

Old 11-01-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
With the Covid-19 spreading more and more there will be no rural or small town living left.
Why would you think that?

Cities are where people bunch up together tight. Out in the countryside we have elbow room.

I can keep myself busy for weeks at a time without ever stepping foot off my farm. To spread a virus you need to be clustered in close around other people, viruses need city people for them to spread.

Old 11-01-2020, 11:08 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

Cities are where people bunch up together tight. Out in the countryside we have elbow room.

I can keep myself busy for weeks at a time without ever stepping foot off my farm. To spread a virus you need to be clustered in close around other people, viruses need city people for them to spread.
This is true you need other people to spread viruses.
But this was created for a specific purpose it was created to do that and ruin the global economy. Rural areas are not immune to it. If and when they release a new virus (weapon) it will only get worse.

Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and other rural areas have increased. there are acres of land out there and no place in the US or world appears to be immune to it.

Remember why this virus was created and released.

Old 11-01-2020, 11:50 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,487,755 times
Quote:
Not a parking lot.
Why is it stupid? Explain? Not stupid but expensive $$$$ cost me over $30,000 to do it here and I don't have an acre of land. Ugly? Ugly to you Not me.... Why? Ground will be stable and flat. Because cement is easy to clean very neat and see things out there. No maintenance. Paver stones shift with the ground movement unlike cement that cracks. Pavers cost alot more than cement so so half and half just like I currently have is fine. A nice sterile clean environment. I can put grass or trees where I decide to for privacy reasons.

Low to no maintenance, super clean and less insects. Paver stones can also be used as a landing strip for small plane. It's all in the landscaping. There will be trees of course planted where I want them to be for shade and other purposes. No weeds or dirt.
Either you are trying to be funny, are trolling or you are entire clueless. If you think this is such a great idea, try paving our 6 acres of 3 ponds, 2 creeks, wetlands and mature forests. Be my guest. Btw, I am done playing these stupid games with you.

Old 11-02-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
This is true you need other people to spread viruses.
But this was created for a specific purpose it was created to do that and ruin the global economy. Rural areas are not immune to it. If and when they release a new virus (weapon) it will only get worse.

Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and other rural areas have increased. there are acres of land out there and no place in the US or world appears to be immune to it.

Remember why this virus was created and released.
You have not explained why you think "... there will be no rural or small town living left".

Old 11-02-2020, 07:30 AM

705 posts, read 506,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

Same here. I can go for days on my farm and not see another human. But even if I go into town, which is 10 miles away from my farm. It’s population and largest town and the county seat, is only 1200 people. The closest ‘big city’ is 55,000 and that’s an hour drive at 65 mph. And the real big city, with a population of over 400,000 is a good 6 hours away. I love it living out here in the bush, I feel in control of my environment. There ain’t no virus out here.

Old 11-02-2020, 03:59 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,611,100 times
This post was created in July so as ever changing as this issue is, some thoughts that sounded good then probably won't age well.

Right now, as far as COVID 19 is concerned, some of the worst, hardest hit areas are in the very rural Midwest, where health care access is sparse and much of the population has a "it can't happen here" attitude and aren't taking precautions like they said (the same issue exists in the rural South in many places as well).

So, are the rural lands truly the safest place to be? I don't know that we can say that unless you can literally stay in your own little dominion and not venture out or go to town.

Old 11-06-2020, 07:14 PM

20,051 posts, read 20,867,177 times
The city/urban refugees are still flocking in droves to my former hood. It's mostly the wealthy and elites moving in. Housing prices are out of control, bidding wars and full asking price price offers are standard now. Time will tell how long this lasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living