Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 03:50 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,481,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
In sparsely populated places like west Texas, the sheriff basically relies on armed citizens to maintain law and order.
They do a good job of it, too. A lot of times, though, you never hear about it, if you get my drift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 04:01 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Most rural areas don't need police departments. The crime to begin with is low and gun ownership is widespread.
Here in rural Maine, the Sheriff deputies try to respond on the next business day.

I have called them twice for cars that have left the road and flipped over in the ditch. So long as there are no bodies in the cars they come by the next business day.

Old 07-11-2020, 04:49 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
A TV person tonight hypothesized that many Americans will flee the cities and move to rural America. Personally, I doubt it. Americans love the suburban lifestyle. But it coyld happen considering the urban unrest, cries to defund police and CV19. Plus, I've noticed that houses have been selling very fast in our rural area. What say you?
I really hope not.

Old 07-11-2020, 06:08 PM

7,649 posts, read 4,603,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I’m betting employers will start rethinking the pay that will go along with those jobs also. A lot of the pay is based on COL in the area.
Totally fine with that. I'm here because of the jobs, not the culture. A gas station and grain elevator have little need for what I do.

Besides, if they go further down that route, they're going to find the COL a lot cheaper in the Philippines and India anyway. That's exactly what the last place did. Semiconductor company acquired by On Semiconductor. Came in telling the entire accounting and finance staff they'd work out a transition.....didn't keep a single one. All work is now performed in Manilla. Straight up job killer that one.

The thing is, if Americans get good at doing things successfully and remotely, it will free everyone to live where they want. I'm sure there's people that would prefer to live in our pleasant climate while they work in Minneapolis. Who knows, maybe I can move to bumble f, USA and start a massive company there because I can now access talent from around the country?

Old 07-11-2020, 07:40 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,331,402 times
I live in the NYC suburbs. It’s already happening! Suburban migration of course not rural. Some Homes by me that where in the 1.1-1.3m range where not selling. This was more of a factor that other homes in same price range had better layouts or where more modern. Woth influx of city buyers all these homes went under contract. A new listing at 1.4m beautiful home went under contract in 7 days.

Old 07-11-2020, 07:42 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
Unfortunately no
We don’t reproduce
We are old
And the next antifa BLM target is Mayberry
They burned and looted mine last month

Old 07-11-2020, 08:17 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
In sparsely populated places like west Texas, the sheriff basically relies on armed citizens to maintain law and order.
Yeah....wait till one of those amateur deputies dies something wrong and kills a innocent person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
When the COL is this low, who cares if you earn less?
Yeah ..ok

Oh wait .....you’re serious

I guess if you wanna scrape by......might as well do it on podunkville.

I care. And so should anyone else. There will come a day where you won’t make as much and you will need retirement investments have a family maybe buy a car, have some assets, house, savings etc.
You’re not doing that in some small town making peanuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Most rural areas don't need police departments. The crime to begin with is low and gun ownership is widespread.
Sorry but that’s a crock. Small towns have crime. It’s just overlooked, or downplayed. Small towns have the same issues like drug use, alcoholism, and everything else just on a smaller scale than a big city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
"People that own houses as investments, and don't live there are a big part of why housing is so expensive. Gov't should tax more heavily on anything that is not your primary residence. And if you own more than one other house the tax should go up even higher.

OMG. Are you for real?

They are coming to rural America. Take a look at the Idaho page sometime. First they just bought up the homes made vacant by the environmental industry and their spotted owl hoax. Then they went to Washington and southern Idaho.Take a look at the news articles about Coeur d'Alene, Idaho from two weeks ago. The locals who have been there for 150 years will not be easily driven out.
You’re talking about retirees or people who have money. Why would you NOT want people like that in your town.

If the locals are not easily driven out....why are they selling? I heard that from former neighbors. “I ain’t selling to just anybody. If they ain’t right we won’t do that to you guys. We love it here”. Next thing you know the “supposedly person they would never sell to” is moving in.

Truthfully it’s BS. When you sell usually you’re gonna sell to the person that can give you the most money with the least hassle. Now you might get the “you’re getting this property when you pry it from my cold dead fingers” or “I’m only sellin to a local “ but for the most part you’re gonna sell to whoever pays most with least headache.

I guarantee you if someone is selling and they get a full offer or higher price no contingency CASH 30 day closing unless they themselves are loaded ad just flat out have their convictions and will absolutely not sell to outsiders....they're gonna do a great imitation of Jerry Maguire and show me the money.

Old 07-12-2020, 05:40 AM

7,649 posts, read 4,603,757 times
Quote:
You’re talking about retirees or people who have money. Why would you NOT want people like that in your town.

If the locals are not easily driven out....why are they selling? I heard that from former neighbors. “I ain’t selling to just anybody. If they ain’t right we won’t do that to you guys. We love it here”. Next thing you know the “supposedly person they would never sell to” is moving in.

Truthfully it’s BS. When you sell usually you’re gonna sell to the person that can give you the most money with the least hassle. Now you might get the “you’re getting this property when you pry it from my cold dead fingers” or “I’m only sellin to a local “ but for the most part you’re gonna sell to whoever pays most with least headache.

I guarantee you if someone is selling and they get a full offer or higher price no contingency CASH 30 day closing unless they themselves are loaded ad just flat out have their convictions and will absolutely not sell to outsiders....they're gonna do a great imitation of Jerry Maguire and show me the money.
Cityfolk will never understand what amazing communities lie in rural areas, and that yes, that commitment to community can run deeper than personal gain. However, it's like an endangered species. It needs to be cared for and maintained. Get too many people in that won't contribute voluntarily and the community will break.

Old 07-12-2020, 05:09 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Unfortunately no
We don’t reproduce
We are old
And the next antifa BLM target is Mayberry
They burned and looted mine last month
That antifa and BLM is having one today. The word is that the KKK and other groups are going to meet them head on from what I heard on news.

Old 07-12-2020, 05:34 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
... Truthfully it’s BS. When you sell usually you’re gonna sell to the person that can give you the most money with the least hassle. Now you might get the “you’re getting this property when you pry it from my cold dead fingers” or “I’m only sellin to a local “ but for the most part you’re gonna sell to whoever pays most with least headache.

If you are urban, ladder-climbing and bounce from one location to the next, then yes, all you want to a fast closing with as much money as possible.

In the small town where I have settled, most residents live in homes they inherited from their families. They have been here for as many as seven generations. These are people who are not focused on quick profits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
That antifa and BLM is having one today. The word is that the KKK and other groups are going to meet them head on from what I heard on news.
That makes no sense. One group of Dems is going to face off against another group of Dems? I seriously doubt the Dem leadership will allow that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living