Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 05:44 AM

9,508 posts, read 16,409,246 times

Advertisements

Direct has lost tons of customers since AT&T took them over. It was losing them even before. That's only those that have other local options though. There are no other real options for many of us. Direct is being sold again AT&T doesn't feel it was a good purchase. Perhaps it will merge with Dish who knows. Either or it can get very expensive and you feel trapped if there are no other options for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 09:15 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,187,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Direct has lost tons of customers since AT&T took them over. It was losing them even before. That's only those that have other local options though.
Exactly. ATT decided they wanted DirecTV to make as much money as possible when they bought it (AKA cash cow). So they started raising prices, and eliminated ALL promotions. They also got rid of customer retainage deals ("renew and we'll hold your price" type stuff).

So most people that had options--Xfinity, Cox, even streaming--dropped them. But those of us who are stuck miles & miles from any infrastructure have no choice. It's either satellite or nothing.

So they continue to raise prices, knowing they have a locked-in customer base. Even as it continues to shrink.

Sad.

Old 02-05-2021, 09:45 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,772,641 times
No. Cable/OTA all the way.

Old 02-10-2021, 05:47 PM

17,128 posts, read 56,804,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Don't have, watch TV......not as most people know it, that is. Everything is canned, DVD or tape.......and given what passes for entertainment in this century, I DON'T WANT IT (the current stuff)!.

Right now, I am experimenting between satellite and DSL for my Internet. The DSL is without caps but it tends to be iffy, periods of few to several minutes to where I don't have a connection. The satellite tends to be more sure but it has data caps on it. So right now, I am using the DSL for my low grade, non urgent communications, my satellite for necessary down loads.

In either case, my speeds are often, at best (and often not even that) in the 300kps range.

It is a good thing that I got into the mindset of having a library instead of depending on cable for my entertainment for had I not, when I got out to the country, I would have "starved".

Still, I like to watch the local news on ABC (usually), and I like the World Channel on PBS. Get them both off the air for free. Live far enough (50 miles) from Yakima where the transmitters are that in heavy wind, sometimes the signal flickers. Even so, for free, I am satisfied with what I get.

Old 02-10-2021, 08:47 PM

9,274 posts, read 5,039,300 times
Neither. We got a super-duper antennae that gets us the local stations and we use Amazon and Netflix. This was 5 or 6 years ago and we have never missed it. (just like we never missed the landline and now only use our cell phones).

Old 02-11-2021, 07:22 AM

Yesterday was my 1 year anniversary with Direct TV, and like everyone else I imagine I have a 2 year contract. At least when you start service that is what you agree to. I never wanted them but I had no other choice, but one cable company here that costs even more. That cable company is owned by the senior subdivision I live in, and they prevent other cable companies from providing service on their property. I was surprised they allowed the 2 satellite companies to operate here. So yesterday I really have had it with Direct TV. My bill showed up on my phone it has gone from $98 per month to $133 per month. All I have is the Basic TV Package with them, and as I've posted before have recently lost a number of channels. I really get nothing for viewing on this package. Its mostly Infomercial type channels, Religious and Spanish channels. Since I've lost several local stations, and the BBC. I do get things like CNN, Fox and Ion TV, but I don't really watch these. I watch mostly PBS. I thought why the hell am I paying such an outrageous amount for this little selection. I'm a senior and can't afford these increases, its gotten way over my budget. It's seems everything from Health Insurance to Electricity etc etc has gone up since the new year started. I'm calling them today and try to see what can be done. I can't imagine I'd have much luck, but I'm hopeful I will. I will post what the outcome is.

This type of practice of a 2 year contract in locations that have little to no selection of TV providers. Or the location is to far to pick up signals from distant cities etc. is a racket. Before I got Direct I tried an indoor antenna with a reception range of 60 mlles. All I got was MeTv and 2 others. 2 came in fuzzy. I could not get stations from Orlando or Tampa as they are out of range. I could not put up an outdoor antenna as the HOA doesn't allow them in this senior subdivision. So I was stuck with Direct. It's all a scam and takes advantage of people. There should be some type of regulation on cable and satellite companies and their fees. That and how in some areas competition is blocked from serving the same area. As I'm seeing is common in much of Florida or so it seems.

I will post what my result with Direct TV is after I call them, which is now. Thanks.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Yesterday was my 1 year anniversary with Direct TV, and like everyone else I imagine I have a 2 year contract. At least when you start service that is what you agree to. I never wanted them but I had no other choice, but one cable company here that costs even more. That cable company is owned by the senior subdivision I live in, and they prevent other cable companies from providing service on their property. I was surprised they allowed the 2 satellite companies to operate here. So yesterday I really have had it with Direct TV. My bill showed up on my phone it has gone from $98 per month to $133 per month. All I have is the Basic TV Package with them, and as I've posted before have recently lost a number of channels. I really get nothing for viewing on this package. Its mostly Infomercial type channels, Religious and Spanish channels. Since I've lost several local stations, and the BBC. I do get things like CNN, Fox and Ion TV, but I don't really watch these. I watch mostly PBS. I thought why the hell am I paying such an outrageous amount for this little selection. I'm a senior and can't afford these increases, its gotten way over my budget. It's seems everything from Health Insurance to Electricity etc etc has gone up since the new year started. I'm calling them today and try to see what can be done. I can't imagine I'd have much luck, but I'm hopeful I will. I will post what the outcome is.

This type of practice of a 2 year contract in locations that have little to no selection of TV providers. Or the location is to far to pick up signals from distant cities etc. is a racket. Before I got Direct I tried an indoor antenna with a reception range of 60 mlles. All I got was MeTv and 2 others. 2 came in fuzzy. I could not get stations from Orlando or Tampa as they are out of range. I could not put up an outdoor antenna as the HOA doesn't allow them in this senior subdivision. So I was stuck with Direct. It's all a scam and takes advantage of people. There should be some type of regulation on cable and satellite companies and their fees. That and how in some areas competition is blocked from serving the same area. As I'm seeing is common in much of Florida or so it seems.

I will post what my result with Direct TV is after I call them, which is now. Thanks.

My results from Direct TV. First they would not help me at all, in fact they tried to sell me a promotional on movie channels. Plus they told me I would have another rate increase in March. I said the bill already costs more than I'm willing or can pay for limited TV service. So they sent the call to the retention dept at AT&T. Thankfully I got this pleasant guy that really tried to find ways, to keep my bill from going up. He offered me a $20 discount and if I got rid of the insurance for service calls. That would take $9 off the monthly bill. So I got a $29 discount for 12 months. To me on Social Security that is a big help. So I took it.

My guess is Direct TV is going to price themselves out of business. When I don't know but I would think that is where they are headed.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:36 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,187,982 times
Quote:

I am glad you were able to get some relief from your phone call. Good luck!

Random feedback:

* The two year startup contract is common in all these businesses (cable, cell, Internet, etc). It's how they cover the cost of install, equipment, etc. If they didn't have a contract, your startup charges would be several hundred dollars more. But once your two years are covered, you go month to month, and can cancel at any time. TINSTAAFL.

* HOA can't prohibit satellite services, that's why your neighborhood "allows it". There is some control allowed over dish placement, but that's it.

* It's not a racket, it's a business. You signed up, your choice. You weren't "stuck with them", you could choose to not have DirecTV.

* There is plenty of regulation of cable & satellite. But it doesn't prevent them from signing up customers who may later regret their actions.

* And I do agree, they are pricing themselves (almost) out of business. They no longer want to subsidize their business to grow it. They want to make as much $$$ as they can from it, until it's dead. So either pay the bill, or cancel. My DirecTV costs have gone up dramatically over the years. According to Quicken, it was $96 in 2010 (maybe some of that was promotional?). Now it's $275+. But it's worth it to me--lots of channels, great picture, reliable service.

YMMV.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:35 PM

5,570 posts, read 4,927,328 times
Only $19.95 for those antennas you see advertised on TV. Plus they always throw in two for the price of one.

Old 02-12-2021, 05:09 PM

[quote=nowhereman427;60388059]Only $19.95 for those antennas you see advertised on TV. Plus they always throw in two for the price of one.[/QUO

I tried indoor antennas 60 Mile range is what I was finding. The antenna didn't pick up much. It couldn't even pick up channels in Orlando or Tampa. I'm out of range where I live. We can't have outdoor antennas in the subdivisions here. So it's Direct or pay this subdivision for their cable, which is more than Direct TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living