Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 02:08 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,305,719 times

Advertisements

I just canceled my propane account.

I have a country side house that I seldom use, but am paying at least $360/year to the propane company for a 50-60 gallon tank. That's their minimal charge even if I don't use any propane which I think is kind of unreasonable. I had been wanting to change to another provider, but have not been able to be there to take care of this. Just now the company again emailed me about clearing vegetation along the path to the tank; I told them to close my acct.

So now I need to find a new provider. I had previously contacted another provider in my town; they also only offer tank-lease, just that the minimal charge is less, about $120/year. I could use them, but I prefer to buy my own tank if possible. I have a few questions:

1. If I cannot find a propane company that sells tanks out right, where and how can I buy my own tank and get it filled? Location is around Mendocino, CA.

2. Current company said they can pick up the tank in 2 weeks. Do I have to find a replacement tank by then? Or do I have the option of having the current tank taken away, then at a later date install a new talk?

3. Does propane "go bad" if it is not used for, say, 3 years? I heard gasoline goes bad after certain time.

4. For my own particular use profile (very little use per year), is it better to get my own tank or to lease tank?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 02:24 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I just canceled my propane account.

I have a country side house that I seldom use, but am paying at least $360/year to the propane company for a 50-60 gallon tank. That's their minimal charge even if I don't use any propane which I think is kind of unreasonable. I had been wanting to change to another provider, but have not been able to be there to take care of this. Just now the company again emailed me about clearing vegetation along the path to the tank; I told them to close my acct.

So now I need to find a new provider. I had previously contacted another provider in my town; they also only offer tank-lease, just that the minimal charge is less, about $120/year. I could use them, but I prefer to buy my own tank if possible. I have a few questions:

1. If I cannot find a propane company that sells tanks out right, where and how can I buy my own tank and get it filled? Location is around Mendocino, CA.

2. Current company said they can pick up the tank in 2 weeks. Do I have to find a replacement tank by then? Or do I have the option of having the current tank taken away, then at a later date install a new talk?

3. Does propane "go bad" if it is not used for, say, 3 years? I heard gasoline goes bad after certain time.

4. For my own particular use profile (very little use per year), is it better to get my own tank or to lease tank?
I think you need to ask the local propane companies some of this. You might get more useful answers if you post this in the CA subforum. There may be state-specific regs they must adhere to. Maybe CA doesn't permit them to fill tanks they don't own/maintain. They may be reluctant to fill an unknown entity tank. Don't those companies offer off-season pause options for their accounts? AFAIK the propane itself does not "go bad" but the tanks do.

Old 08-12-2020, 03:49 PM

4,192 posts, read 2,512,816 times
I am thinking of getting a propane tank to power a generator since we don't have gas service where I live. I will rent since they are responsible for it maintenance, leaks, and placement according to code. Propane doesn't deteriorate like gas; the tank will be filled to 80%. Propane expands and contracts a lot. Tanks are not cheap and your home insurance might have some rules about you having it. Your local government - do they require a permit? A supplier would handle all of that without you knowing about it.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:09 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,584,434 times
You could do a bank of 100 lb tanks, (20 gallon). Readily available for private purchase, easily refilled at any station that fills smaller tanks.

It's an option. You are responsible for care and upkeep, and securing your tanks, but it could take care of your problem.

Old 08-13-2020, 07:21 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,130,024 times
I see them listed on Craigslist a lot around here.

Old 08-15-2020, 07:14 AM

30,534 posts, read 16,231,137 times
whatever you do, clear the vegetation. It's a considerate, responsible, safe thing to do.

Old 08-15-2020, 07:56 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times
I think you should have figured out everything you're wanting to know before you stopped your propane service and them wanting to come and get the tank. Needed to have a replacement deal ready before telling them to close your account? What will you do if they haul off your tank and you don't have another one ready to set up in it's place?

Old 08-15-2020, 08:32 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,305,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I think you should have figured out everything you're wanting to know before you stopped your propane service and them wanting to come and get the tank. Needed to have a replacement deal ready before telling them to close your account? What will you do if they haul off your tank and you don't have another one ready to set up in it's place?
Yeah I was just very ticked off by this business model (basic charge regardless of use) and the current company's level of charge. They also have a 3 year contract period, which I also thought is very draconian. Is this kind of long contract term normal?

I kind of have a Plan C in place, just want to see if I can get a Plan A or B:

Plan A: Buy my own tank and refill when needed
Plan B: Be able to put this off for 6 months or a year (till next time I'll use it)
Plan C: Use the provider that charges $120/year

Old 08-15-2020, 08:55 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,439,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
That's what I was wondering, since he had posted about it previously. Sometimes pre-planning is useful.

Old 08-15-2020, 11:16 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times
I'm on natural gas and the only thing we use it for is our heat. But we still pay $5-$8/ month while not using it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living