Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2021, 03:17 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,774,008 times

Advertisements

DG stores are very common in my state. Some small towns of a few thousand or so even have 2 of them ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 04:04 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
DG stores says alot about certain areas of America and it's actually a very big problem. The purchasing power of the avg American has diminished so much compared to other countries.

Old 02-12-2021, 03:00 AM

226 posts, read 158,516 times
We have more Dollar Stores than Starbucks (never bought one of their $5 lattee whatevers!!!) - Dunkin Donuts 4 da WIN.

Dollar Store
Dollar General
Dollar Tree

I like them - great prices on common household goods.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:27 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDavid View Post
We have more Dollar Stores than Starbucks (never bought one of their $5 lattee whatevers!!!) - Dunkin Donuts 4 da WIN.

Dollar Store
Dollar General
Dollar Tree

I like them - great prices on common household goods.
Dunkin Donuts are good. Krispy Kreme donuts are good too but overpriced.

Old 02-13-2021, 09:26 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,079,443 times
The closest store to me is a DG. They are great when I just need a few things and don't want to drive 40 mins to Walmart.

Old 02-14-2021, 01:49 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times
As I pointed out earlier, DG is the 18th biggest volume store chain in the nation, far ahead of a lot of those big named high priced chains so many brag they frequent.

They sell things at a price people can afford due to their buying power, and if you are in a small town you don't have to make a 40 to 100 mile round trip to a bigger city to find a lot of things. Often they buy odd lots of slow moving goods, and get them so cheap they sell them out for maybe half what Walmart charges.

Old 02-16-2021, 04:42 PM

8,051 posts, read 10,642,372 times
We have a Dollar General about every five miles (and I was told this is the company business plan). I think this is too many, and the company does not keep enough staff at each store as it is.

My problem with them is that they never have enough people working at the check-outs. We have people in this rural community that literally will buy like a month's worth of groceries at the Dollar General. And, always, just one lone cashier ringing them out, and the line of people waiting often snaking halfway to the back of the store. I have often walked in, looked at the line, and left, opting to just go to the local grocery store instead to get out quicker. I work full time and don't have time to wait in line for 45 minutes to buy 2 items.

They also don't have enough help putting out stock or keeping it straight. There is always empty holes where items should be, and boxes of stock piled up and spilling out into the floor. One of the cashier's told me the company expects them to put out stock, AND cover the cash register, and that they have to keep stopping to ring people up, so often the stock does not get put out or straightened.

Maybe they need to stop spending money on popping up stores every few miles, and start spending the money staffing the ones they have.

Old 02-17-2021, 06:23 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,535,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
We have a Dollar General about every five miles (and I was told this is the company business plan). I think this is too many, and the company does not keep enough staff at each store as it is.

My problem with them is that they never have enough people working at the check-outs. We have people in this rural community that literally will buy like a month's worth of groceries at the Dollar General. And, always, just one lone cashier ringing them out, and the line of people waiting often snaking halfway to the back of the store. I have often walked in, looked at the line, and left, opting to just go to the local grocery store instead to get out quicker. I work full time and don't have time to wait in line for 45 minutes to buy 2 items.

They also don't have enough help putting out stock or keeping it straight. There is always empty holes where items should be, and boxes of stock piled up and spilling out into the floor. One of the cashier's told me the company expects them to put out stock, AND cover the cash register, and that they have to keep stopping to ring people up, so often the stock does not get put out or straightened.

Maybe they need to stop spending money on popping up stores every few miles, and start spending the money staffing the ones they have.
I've always wondered if DG thought their stores would only have a minimum of customers in it at one time. I've been in some that were crowded and the employees often were shocked to see so many people in their store at a particular time.

Old 02-17-2021, 10:19 AM

26,429 posts, read 46,607,911 times
They are building one in my rural township for whatever reason, the median Household income is well above average, though.

Old 02-17-2021, 04:30 PM

8,931 posts, read 4,660,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
I've always wondered if DG thought their stores would only have a minimum of customers in it at one time. I've been in some that were crowded and the employees often were shocked to see so many people in their store at a particular time.
Too many customers for a single store?
Sounds like they need to build more stores in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living