Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2021, 08:29 AM

19,809 posts, read 9,371,980 times

Advertisements

After at least eight months of effort by Dollar General, our town's board just turned down DG's proposal to open a store here after receiving 230 letters from residents protesting it and only receiving two votes for it! Shows you what can happen when people band together!

I hope they (DG) won't bother the people living in this county again because this was their second try after it was voted down in another small town here.

P.S. on Edit: With very few exceptions, every small town in our county already has at least one small market, plus there are three large supermarkets and one medium supermarket), and there are 20 gas stations, most of which also serve as convenience marts. (Not bad for a county with fewer than 28,000 full-time residents.)

Last edited by katharsis; 03-22-2021 at 08:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2021, 10:04 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,655,583 times
Recently the Dollar General store in local town of 2500 closed for remodeling and reopened as Dollar General Market. I stopped in recently and yep, they now sell bigger line groceries and some produce. Of course its higher price than Aldi or Walmart. But if you no longer could drive and lived within walking distance, you could get by. Well DGM and mail order.

I was surprised they did this at that particular store since there is a Harps full size super market on other side of town. Harps is a regional chain. Its inconvenient if you live on east side town though. Bunch school zone stuff over by the Harps. And if you drive and made it to the intererstate, you can quickly make it to much bigger town and lot more choice.

i havent been south where there is another Dollar General in smaller town with NO other store except small convenience store gas station. No the gas station doesnt sell necessities of life. They sell pop and chips and think warmed up frozen pizza or such. So that is the DG that needs to become a DGM. There used to be a grocery store in that town, small independent, but it burned down 15 or 20 years ago.

Old 03-24-2021, 06:56 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,534,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
After at least eight months of effort by Dollar General, our town's board just turned down DG's proposal to open a store here after receiving 230 letters from residents protesting it and only receiving two votes for it! Shows you what can happen when people band together!

I hope they (DG) won't bother the people living in this county again because this was their second try after it was voted down in another small town here.

P.S. on Edit: With very few exceptions, every small town in our county already has at least one small market, plus there are three large supermarkets and one medium supermarket), and there are 20 gas stations, most of which also serve as convenience marts. (Not bad for a county with fewer than 28,000 full-time residents.)
Good for you guys! I'm sure you hurt someone's feelings at DG.

Old 07-15-2021, 08:52 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
Dollar General down the road from us had Charmin a few months ago while big box stores had empty shelves. Who would have thunk that?

Old 07-17-2021, 12:56 AM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
What is so great about this dollar store? Just lots of cheap made no quality stuff for sale.

Old 07-17-2021, 06:20 AM

19,809 posts, read 9,371,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
What is so great about this dollar store? Just lots of cheap made no quality stuff for sale.
They're good for greeting cards, gift wrap and stocking stuffers -- not much else, imo (and not even a good value except for what I listed, imo).

OOPS -- Our local store is a Dollar Tree, not a Dollar General. I've never shopped at the latter, but I hear that most people do agree with you about Dollar General.

Old 07-17-2021, 09:40 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,658,272 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
They're good for greeting cards, gift wrap and stocking stuffers -- not much else, imo (and not even a good value except for what I listed, imo).

OOPS -- Our local store is a Dollar Tree, not a Dollar General. I've never shopped at the latter, but I hear that most people do agree with you about Dollar General.
I suspect nowhereman was thinking of something like that too. Note: he said "this dollar store," and Dollar General isn't a dollar store.

Old 07-19-2021, 12:58 AM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I suspect nowhereman was thinking of something like that too. Note: he said "this dollar store," and Dollar General isn't a dollar store.
It isn't?

Old 07-19-2021, 02:41 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,658,272 times
Quote:
It isn't?
No. It may have been, in the beginning, but that is mostly just a name, now.

I believe the company also owns Dollar Tree, and that one IS a dollar store.

Old 07-19-2021, 08:00 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times
Quote:
I worked at a Dollar General for over a year and they sell the same products, and quality as Walmart or any other store. But those who don't like a certain store will always say they sell bad stuff.
Like I said in an earlier post, I saw people come in and buy over $200 just in groceries, because they know it's good and don't want to go to Walmart. Gallon milk prices are, most of the time, cheaper for the same brands. And be careful in the clothing and back to school aisles right now when families are getting ready for school to start around the first week in August. They'll be swarming DG, at least around here. Walmart always has a stand set up showing what supplies each class needs per student. I talked to several who would go to Walmart just to pick up the lists for their childrens' class, then go to Dollar General to buy it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living