Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2021, 08:10 AM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
Every biz up here left as this area has 33% occupancy...meaning only 1 out of 3 houses are owner occupied...the rest 'camps' so we have 3 DGs within 15 minutes in various directions. if you want veggies or meat we do have a rural red and white, but its over half an hour to walmart or aldi, such is today in rural america. it is what it is.
I was going to say that about rural PA. They also site the stores in the middle of the middle of nowhere with the road on one side and woods on the other three.

St. Mary's County down here is much the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 09:09 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,028,365 times
I have a DG 2 miles away and 5 miles away! The nearest Grocery store is about 8 miles away. Rural NC. I only go there for generic Tylenol, sleep aids, drug store stuff, cheaper than generic grocery store or Walgreens.

Old 07-28-2021, 12:21 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,649,221 times
Quote:
this area has 33% occupancy...meaning only 1 out of 3 houses are owner occupied.
I need some clarification, here.

Are you saying 2 out of 3 are rentals, or 2 out of 3 are vacant?

Where I am from, 33% occupancy means 1 out of 3 are occupied, period, and 2 out of 3 are vacant.

Quote:
the rest 'camps'
Camps? As in homeless camps? or temporary residents, renting?

Old 07-28-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post

Where I am from, 33% occupancy means 1 out of 3 are occupied, period, and 2 out of 3 are vacant.

Rural PA has numerous areas, especially north of I80 that have hunting camp properties. The buildings range from one room to houses that would fit in an upscale suburb anywhere.

A bunch of teachers where I grew up owned one years ago, twenty five miles from the town (which was also in the middle of nowhere), that had been a farmhouse. Eight bedrooms, a large room with multiple shower stalls and a couple outhouses. I asked why, since they'd remodeled it and put in the showers, they didn't put in toilets. The answer was that with the outhouses nobody's wife would want to come to the camp.

The generation that had the hunting camps is dying out, or their kids had to move out of state for jobs, and many of the buildings are falling into wrack and ruin.

Some examples for sale:

https://www.campsandlandforsale.com/

Old 07-28-2021, 06:36 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,649,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Rural PA has numerous areas, especially north of I80 that have hunting camp properties.

The generation that had the hunting camps is dying out, or their kids had to move out of state for jobs, and many of the buildings are falling into wrack and ruin.

Some examples for sale:
OK then, so a lot of them are empty. Wow.

Old 07-29-2021, 11:27 AM

10,845 posts, read 4,529,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post

ahh gotcha....rural PA is becoming so rural that as residents move away, the houses are not left to rot or torn down. people from out of town (mostly pitt) pick them up for a song, and now have a 2nd home in the woods - beats an RV or tent.

so it means the owner is not occupying it, he owns it but domiciles mostly somewhere else. where my place is - which itself is technically a 'camp' since I moved to pitt and own both - I see my new neighbors typically 3x a year: fishing season start, july 4th weekend or similar and hunting season start. Since I and the wife both work from home since plague started, we can 1 week here, 1 week there and get the best of all worlds, but I am the exception, not the norm.

'camp' is just what the locals call houses owned and visited by outta towners.

in some cases it is semi derogatory because its funny to watch a grown man and woman scream in terror when a bear or fisher cross the road in front of the car.....

Old 07-29-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:

Some examples for sale:

a lot of these are state land leased for 99 years and the clock is about to run out, no one is going to buy, rehab and improve a property that goes back to the state in a decade...

FWIW, I have faster and more reliable internet UP THERE, than I do down here.

Old 07-29-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Rural PA has numerous areas, especially north of I80 that have hunting camp properties. The buildings range from one room to houses that would fit in an upscale suburb anywhere.

A bunch of teachers where I grew up owned one years ago, twenty five miles from the town (which was also in the middle of nowhere), that had been a farmhouse. Eight bedrooms, a large room with multiple shower stalls and a couple outhouses. I asked why, since they'd remodeled it and put in the showers, they didn't put in toilets. The answer was that with the outhouses nobody's wife would want to come to the camp.

Some examples for sale:

I know were every single place is in clarion and forest on that list. and I know every realtor listing them. Its likely that everyone went contingent within the first week. The demand for inventory up there is high and there is no product. look at the prices of the ones that get close to the water...

10 years ago you get get most homes in marienville pa for $50K or less down to $15K for livable. Today you need 6 digits to get a showing...

The DEP is being ball busters on the ones with leach field septic...but at todays prices, the $20-25K sand mound is just a minor hit.

Old 07-29-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
One hundred and forty eight posts and no one has addressed the real issue of having a Family Dollar/Dollar General store in your area. It means that the residents aren't as wealthy as people like to think.

or it means that the bigger stores could not live on healthy traffic 3 months out of the year and moved on regardless of the paycheck size. the area around me thrives in what it can, those still there, not on the dole, have incomes that keep them in place. a walmart needs a certain number of customers in the door per day to exist. If the full time residents fall below that, they leave. this is what happened. apure grocery store has such low margins, they are far more sensitive to full time resident count. or as the owner of baughmans in marienville said when he closed: (to best of my knowledge) "I used to sell 50lb bags of potatoes to the locals every few weeks, now I sell 5 lb bags on holiday weekends, cant stay in business"

Old 07-29-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
or it means that the bigger stores could not live on healthy traffic 3 months out of the year and moved on regardless of the paycheck size. the area around me thrives in what it can, those still there, not on the dole, have incomes that keep them in place. a walmart needs a certain number of customers in the door per day to exist. If the full time residents fall below that, they leave. this is what happened. apure grocery store has such low margins, they are far more sensitive to full time resident count. or as the owner of baughmans in marienville said when he closed: (to best of my knowledge) "I used to sell 50lb bags of potatoes to the locals every few weeks, now I sell 5 lb bags on holiday weekends, cant stay in business"
Yeah. But look at what's closed up there. The glass plants, the mines, it's damn near impossible to do any logging without being tied up in Court for years so the ANF is climaxing and trees are dying when they could be harvested.

The local governments and Commonwealth made the decision (the same one down here) to push tourism without admitting that tourism is seasonal as well as low paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living