Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 12:42 PM

10,872 posts, read 4,546,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah. But look at what's closed up there. The glass plants, the mines, it's damn near impossible to do any logging without being tied up in Court for years so the ANF is climaxing and trees are dying when they could be harvested.

The local governments and Commonwealth made the decision (the same one down here) to push tourism without admitting that tourism is seasonal as well as low paid.
well look what you just said...

glass plants....mandatory recycling 93-00 killed that. there was such an influx of a totally chemically stable compound (i.e. safe to landfill) that the supply of product ballooned, and the value went to zero, the plants closed like dominos, then the admin 2008-2016 passed rules making to shift to plastics (and oil?????) currently we have to PAY to get glass taken away...like its a TV or something

mining...need I say more 93-00 attack on mining, 09-16 attack on mining. 21-?? death knell

sure, its product was pollutier, but it was cleanable and it was CHEAP so its a toss, but those jobs were lost with zero replacement, in fact, oft derision from other folks who say mean stuff like 'let em die!'

and now loggin, collins pines manages most of the forest up in and around the anf and it is sustainable, BUT, for reasons unknown only to him, in 2020 the guvnor closed all logging and mill ops. Chainsawing trees or running a skidder is about the most socially distanced jobs in america outside of 'sole astronaut to mars' so that remains curious. the 3 mills locally are trying to start back up. 1 will never, the other two cannot find workers cuz in the year they were closed, the eligible workers moved away to feed their families. I just got some clear pine boards from lowes to work on my trim for the remods and I find they have a sticker saying they were sourced in new zealand... now THAT is truly breaking an economy the professional way....

that area up there was done in by political decisions and pretty much nothing else. drive past a yard during any election year and you will see, they aint fooled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 12:55 PM

45,425 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
well look what you just said...

glass plants....mandatory recycling 93-00 killed that. there was such an influx of a totally chemically stable compound (i.e. safe to landfill) that the supply of product ballooned, and the value went to zero, the plants closed like dominos, then the admin 2008-2016 passed rules making to shift to plastics (and oil?????) currently we have to PAY to get glass taken away...like its a TV or something

mining...need I say more 93-00 attack on mining, 09-16 attack on mining. 21-?? death knell

sure, its product was pollutier, but it was cleanable and it was CHEAP so its a toss, but those jobs were lost with zero replacement, in fact, oft derision from other folks who say mean stuff like 'let em die!'

and now loggin, collins pines manages most of the forest up in and around the anf and it is sustainable, BUT, for reasons unknown only to him, in 2020 the guvnor closed all logging and mill ops. Chainsawing trees or running a skidder is about the most socially distanced jobs in america outside of 'sole astronaut to mars' so that remains curious. the 3 mills locally are trying to start back up. 1 will never, the other two cannot find workers cuz in the year they were closed, the eligible workers moved away to feed their families. I just got some clear pine boards from lowes to work on my trim for the remods and I find they have a sticker saying they were sourced in new zealand... now THAT is truly breaking an economy the professional way....

that area up there was done in by political decisions and pretty much nothing else. drive past a yard during any election year and you will see, they aint fooled.
Actually what killed glass wasn't so much mandatory recycling (glass plants use the cullet to lower the melt point and it can be mixed into asphalt for parking lots and other low impact use) but the switch out of glass bottles to plastic. I was once told by an O-I chemist that plastic would, could, never be used for acidic products like ketchup, mustard, salad dressing or even soda (pop) because the acids would break down the plastic. This all while O-I plastic gurus were working on doing just that out in Toledo.

Old 07-29-2021, 01:57 PM

10,872 posts, read 4,546,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Actually what killed glass wasn't so much mandatory recycling (glass plants use the cullet to lower the melt point and it can be mixed into asphalt for parking lots and other low impact use) but the switch out of glass bottles to plastic. I was once told by an O-I chemist that plastic would, could, never be used for acidic products like ketchup, mustard, salad dressing or even soda (pop) because the acids would break down the plastic. This all while O-I plastic gurus were working on doing just that out in Toledo.
in other words we are being poisoned each hamburger....great

Old 07-29-2021, 02:03 PM

45,425 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
in other words we are being poisoned each hamburger....great
Maybe. I don't know much about plastic containers (bottles) or styrofoam or plastic wrap. I worked for O-I in the glass bottle end and before that in plastic closures (caps).

Old 07-30-2021, 06:46 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,190,414 times
1 DG every 5 miles or so around here.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:01 PM

18,126 posts, read 11,761,140 times
There's an abundance of DG's here in Brevard County, FL. It looks like the imitation of the next booming Wallyworld!

On a serious note, I rather go to DG than deal with walking around Walmart.

Old 08-12-2021, 06:53 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,190,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
There's an abundance of DG's here in Brevard County, FL. It looks like the imitation of the next booming Wallyworld!

Yeah, but the clientele are not nearly as funny!

Old 08-12-2021, 11:56 AM

18,126 posts, read 11,761,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
Yeah, but the clientele are not nearly as funny!

Oh yes, of course! Walmart has daily fashion shows!

Question - Have you ever actually seen the FANTASTIC fashioned designer shopping?

I do not believe DG has anything to do with "poor geographically" They are placed in distance from the supercenters as a local convenience like the 7-11 chain.

AND/OR

The store carries cheap - totally based on lower quality/price. What's the difference in purchasing Walmart generic brands to DG's brands?

They carry popular name brands as well as their own generic. Same as Walmart - I forgot their generic off-brand dollar-saving name. I dislike walmart - for my personal reasons, because of this, I stop at DG often.

Many years ago, as a teenager when I bought my first camera. Sears had it on sale, one with all the features I was seeking. I bought it for about, I think $100. A few weeks later I was reading more on this type of camera and I discovered Sears buys five-star brand name companies to imprint the "SEARS" name on the item. My camera turned out to be a Pentax. Makes sense?

Does Sears produce every item in their store? No, they buy bulk from major companies for a price and then the printing company imprints the SEARS label. A major company is selling the lawnmowers to SEARS, it might be the less favored John Deere model?

Don't you think the same for all of Walmart and DG's generic items? Where do you think they come from?

Old 08-17-2021, 05:39 PM

9,537 posts, read 16,527,663 times
There all over the south. I've been in one here in Ocala I never went back. I have seen Dollar General in some areas, that are in the middle of nothing with no other stores around. I've gone to Dollar Tree a few times for batteries. That's about it for me.

Old 09-05-2021, 06:55 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,666,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post

I've got a Walmart less than two miles away and a DG about the same distance. I can be in and out of the DG with a couple of items quicker than I can make the walk in from the parking lot at Walmart. It works for what I need from them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living