Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 08:31 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,534,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Sickening how they came to my town of 1,700 and refused to consider a large, vacant, for sale store by the city square, and instead bought and destroyed a very nice old home that was in good condition to build an ugly concrete block "brick" I dont shop there.
Dollar General stores would lease space in existing shopping centers when they came on the scene. Soon afterward, they slowly started building or erecting cheap, steel-frame buildings. Today, the stores now have a little more style with brick and siding and stucco combinations. I can't recognize some of the stores at a distance anymore, as some of the appearances look pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 11:41 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,017,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I like to go because I hate Walmart and avoid it at all costs. Last trip to DG I got batteries, mouthwash, shampoo, and leggings. It's about the only alternative to WM for general stuff since Kmart closed down, although rumor has it that a Target will be going in the old KM location. That would be wonderful.
What don't you like about Wal-Mart?

Old 01-20-2021, 08:10 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
It's like blaming umbrella's for rain. Stores open up where they'll have a customer base. Although, it is sad that some of them didn't work to enhance store security.
And, as I linked earlier, the same thing was said about convenience stores.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:29 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
What don't you like about Wal-Mart?

I dont know about poster you asked the question, but I have to ask: Have you ever been in a Wal-Mart? You need one small item, you walk length of multiple football fields to back of a forty acre store, grab it, walk back and they only have two checkers and its a half hour wait. Then you get perused by the door nazi to make sure you havent stolen anything on your way out. Its a pure joy.

Old 01-20-2021, 10:45 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
I dont know about poster you asked the question, but I have to ask: Have you ever been in a Wal-Mart? You need one small item, you walk length of multiple football fields to back of a forty acre store, grab it, walk back and they only have two checkers and its a half hour wait. Then you get perused by the door nazi to make sure you havent stolen anything on your way out. Its a pure joy.
LOL. Now that explains it perfectly.

Old 01-20-2021, 12:36 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,017,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
This is true and customer service is slow. Long lines here.

Old 01-21-2021, 08:16 AM

961 posts, read 2,504,251 times
..Never understood why DG got so much business, when Dollar Tree..often in the same area....truly sold items for $1...

Old 01-21-2021, 12:54 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,985 times
We don't have a Dollar General anywhere near us in rural Wyoming, however we have three Family Dollar stores which is just ridiculous for the small amount of population that we have. 10,000 people in our entire valley in the summer months, probably 6-7k in the winter months, and in 3 of our 4 incorporated towns we have a family dollar in each of them. It's bonkers!

Before we moved here (we came from California) I don't think I had stepped into any of the Dollar stores more than maybe 3 or 4 times. Now that we're in Wyoming and our options for shopping are drastically reduced, I have found myself shopping at Family Dollar once a week or two pre-covid. They have household stuff, food, gifts, etc and the prices are usually reasonable. Without any other stores to go to such as WalMart, Target, etc Family Dollar fits the need.

I have noticed that in other tiny towns throughout Wyoming and Eastern Idaho they almost all have a Family Dollar. So upon reflecting I would say Yes, the Dollar stores do seem to be targeting the rural communities.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:17 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,534,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
..Never understood why DG got so much business, when Dollar Tree..often in the same area....truly sold items for $1...
Dollar Tree has cheaper items, poorer quality, but is a great place to go if you need cards or party supplies.

Old 01-22-2021, 05:27 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,201,438 times
Dollar General is similar to other stores that have been around in the past. They kind of remind me of TG&Y, or Woolworths. A difference is that they have some grocery items and they have a strategy for where they locate. They have to be saving people a ton of gas and drive time by locating in rural communities. The stores I see in rural, small towns are always busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living