Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2021, 11:29 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
You can find more interesting things at a flea market or a radio/ham fest.
The purpose of the DG is not to find interesting things.
Its 8:00 p.m. your out of milk, you just remembered you need a card for your pregnant co workers party tomorrow and your kid just told you her science project is due tomorrow. The closest store that is not a DG is closed and the wal mart is 25 miles away. You go to the DG that is 2 miles away, has everything you need, almost and is open until 9.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 11:22 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
The FED- EX truck couldn't make it up my steep logging road/driveway when the road was snow/wet/slippery, so i asked them to drop my packages off at DG in Glendale, small town about 6 mile from my home. It worked out fine, & i picked up a few other items i needed...

Last edited by Hawk J; 01-27-2021 at 11:34 PM..

Old 01-28-2021, 07:31 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,056,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
The FED- EX truck couldn't make it up my steep logging road/driveway when the road was snow/wet/slippery, so i asked them to drop my packages off at DG in Glendale, small town about 6 mile from my home. It worked out fine, & i picked up a few other items i needed...
I've had problems with delivery trucks in my driveway, too, even after having a large load of gravel delivered. I wish the delivery trucks had AWD like I do. It made a big difference after I got my first 4WD vehicle, followed by an AWD vehicle. I'll never go back to 2WD.

The Drug Mart store in town recently had Amazon lockers installed outside. They have a surprisingly large selection of items there. I can get almost everything I need.

Old 01-28-2021, 02:05 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Note in this article, dollar stores are doing great, as many other stores are going out of business including all types of chains.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/28/1000...retailers.html

Old 01-29-2021, 12:19 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
I wish people wouldn't conflate Dollar General with Dollar Tree.
https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/...ead-over-doll/

Old 01-29-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Note in this article, dollar stores are doing great, as many other stores are going out of business including all types of chains.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/28/1000...retailers.html
The above is true, however, I wish people wouldn't conflate Dollar General with Dollar Tree.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/...ead-over-doll/

Old 01-30-2021, 08:48 AM

103 posts, read 52,825 times
Just a dumb question here from a city kid, where is the middle of nowhere?

How is it different from somewhere?

Who would want to live nowhere? If it is nowhere and no one lives there, why put a store there?

Help me out friends.

Old 01-30-2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Tech Sr. View Post
Who would want to live nowhere? If it is nowhere and no one lives there, why put a store there?
Help me out friends.
It is the only place I want to be.

With lyrics,
https://youtu.be/zZk0tki6D1A

with (a few) pictures
https://youtu.be/W1GZzucDMlQ

You really can't know it until you've lived it.

Old 01-30-2021, 11:39 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Tech Sr. View Post

Help me out friends.

Meaning too sparsely populated to support a Starbucks every 100ft.

Seriously big box stores that most shop at anymore require a certain population density to be profitable. You have a $100 day at some small mom and pop shop, you might survive. Your typical mega Walmart wont. Dollar General is much smaller store, and yea even they cant survive on $100 day. But they dont need the density or amount sales that a Walmart does. Walmart found out when they were pushing to replace all their smaller older stores with the mega version that many smaller towns that could support a small Walmart couldnt support a 24/7 mega Walmart. So they open, they close, and you drive 50 mile one way to next closest Walmart, cause Walmart put all the local small biz out of biz and nobody else left.

For those that dont understand retail, a small independent Mom and Pop biz has no buying power, many times they pay as much or more wholesale as the big box stores can sell retail. Frankly few are going to pay twice as much as they have to for an item. Any small independent only gets sales from those like elderly or on welfare, without transportation or that just want an item or two without driving to "the big city". Not enough sales to stay in business.

Old 01-30-2021, 01:09 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I've had problems with delivery trucks in my driveway, too, even after having a large load of gravel delivered. I wish the delivery trucks had AWD like I do. It made a big difference after I got my first 4WD vehicle, followed by an AWD vehicle. I'll never go back to 2WD.

The Drug Mart store in town recently had Amazon lockers installed outside. They have a surprisingly large selection of items there. I can get almost everything I need.
Yep, i've driven 4x4 or AWD vehicles for the last 7 lustrum. I had 3/4 minus shale rock put on my logging road. Some UPS & Fed-EX make it up just fine, but some are very gutless, won't make it to the top...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living