Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2021, 10:13 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times

Advertisements

How do you all handle this?

We only get a few and we don’t care for it one bit.
All of our friends know to “touch bases” first.

We are totally cool with a neighbor stopping by to ask about a lost dog/pet or whatever but if they want to stop by to talk about something they will give us a text message or a call.

The reason I brought this up is we are very isolated and recently found a note from a religious group (that I would rather not throw under the bus).

They actually had to walk down a driveway for a solid 150 yards in the middle of “no where”.
Who does this?

I don’t even know if they were church people so it kinda scared me.

I really don’t want to be the guy with signs and a gate because I want to be “unnoticeable” but I am now considering it.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2021, 11:53 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
I’ve seen a sign that said something like, “Visitors by appointment only.” Betcha RE offices have those. Or have a print shop make one for you.

You could also install a little box at the gate to accept notes from people, if you prefer. Label the box, “Stay outside of property. Please leave messages for us in this box and we will get back to you.”

Or how about GUARD DOGS ON DUTY.

Old 03-22-2021, 12:09 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
I'm the one with the gate. Haven't needed signs, yet, but the locked gate helps a lot. :-)

Old 03-22-2021, 01:05 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
I’m thinking a gate is coming soon for us.
Maybe no signs for right now though.
I just would like to be under the radar.

It kinda seemed odd though that someone would walk down to our house when is you can’t even see it from the road in a no where type neighborhood and it’s a bit of a hike.

I wouldn’t trip on it but it has happen more than once.

To quote the great and somewhat yet crazy judge Judy “if it doesn’t make any sense it’s a lie” or something like that.

Old 03-22-2021, 01:08 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
I have had some missionaries come and wave at the gate and want to talk.

It shouldn't be a surprise really... they send missionaries to far more dangerous places in the world than just rural America.

Old 03-22-2021, 02:55 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Doesn't happen enough to concern me. Thinking back over the past year the only unannounced people who showed up at my door had a legitimate reason for it (rep from the borough, utility worker, delivery person, known neighbor). People I probably do need to worry more about aren't standing on the front stoop announcing themselves.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-22-2021 at 03:07 PM..

Old 03-22-2021, 04:20 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Two things can cut such visits to a minimum. Visible security cams with signage, and reputation.

Mail, UPS, Fedex, propane delivery, and the utility reader are the only unannounced visitors I get. In most cases, by the time they are halfway down the drive I am outside to greet them. Word gets around.

The "lost" traveler and the odd-denomination missionary are standard ploys by thieves who want to case a place. Looking them in the eye, getting their name and jotting a description, along with the time of arrival might freak them out a little. Remember, it is your property. If you want to see ID before talking, go ahead.

Old 03-22-2021, 04:35 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,045,572 times
When we lived in a semi-rural property I arrived home one day just in time to see 3 women going into our barn. They were religious people making the rounds and said "no one answered the door so we thought you were in the barn".

A gate across the driveway, between the garage entrance and the barn went up soon after.

As our horses could be seen from the road when they were in the lower pastures, several times people came to our house wanting " to pet the horses."

Old 03-22-2021, 05:02 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Post Answering the door with naught but a butcher's apron and a 12 gauge tends to deter repeat visits by the evangalists

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
They actually had to walk down a driveway for a solid 150 yards in the middle of “no where”.
Who does this?

I don’t even know if they were church people so it kinda scared me.
I don't care if they were church people, it's still pushing ones luck to trek 150yd into a private driveway.

The snowplows took out my streetside mailbox a few years back, and I didn't bother to replace it. I've noticed that the number of "unannounced visitors" has declined steeply since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I really don’t want to be the guy with signs and a gate because I want to be “unnoticeable” but I am now considering it.
If you do put up a fence, these signs work even better than "Beware of dog", at least in my part of the country:

Old 03-22-2021, 05:31 PM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
When we lived in an area with larger lots in GA (5-150 acres no farms) I opened the door shotgun barrel first. Did not see another Witness for the rest of our time there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living