Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2021, 03:06 PM

45,320 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

One thing I had hammered into me by my father as well as my uncles is you don't make pets of the livestock or give them names.

Or to recount a dinner time conversation when I was five:

Me: Where's Spot (a calf I'd raised, well as much as a 5 year old can)?
Dad: Mmmmm
Mom: Eat your hamburger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2021, 03:57 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Just to update,
The hens are well.
I like my hens and I am keeping them as pets for the rest of their days.

These birds hanging out near my garden (in a nice sized coop) and by an umbrella table where I often sit really relaxes me.
What more could a guy want?
Well maybe some eggs but I am just fine with what I am blessed to have.

I guess I was just having a hissy Andy period when I posted this.

Dragonmam, sorry to hear about your pet.
I too am known for doing things that make no sense to some others.
Sometimes you just have to follow your heart.

Thanks all.
Andy.

Well if you can arrange for the hens to get into your garden area and eat up the bugs, they are still "working" for you in a sense.

People do need to understand that actually farming for a living, or at least part of a living, you can't afford to keep around (significant quantities) of older animals who are not producing anything economic. If you do, the people who don't will eat your lunch with a better product at a lower price. I'm not addressing this to you Andy, just saying for the general collective readership, particularly people who have not lived in the country for long. Or ever.

I have about 2 dozen head of cattle in my pasture, including one old Brahma cow that must be 12 or 13 years old. The cattle owner gal considers "Diamond" a pet. I am OK with this, she's paying the same pasture rent for Diamond as for the younger cows who are producing calves. This is a nearly hobby scale operation, the cattle owners and I both have other and more significant sources of income than the pasture rent or the end of season cattle sale.

Out in the wild, things are even less sentimental.

Old 08-13-2021, 04:04 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
Right... I agree with the above.

I understand economics, I also understand my farm isn't a business, and I enjoy affording my animals a few sentimental luxuries like retirement for old hens and old cows who produced many babies.

We even named our beef cow, but we named her Pot Roast.

Old 08-14-2021, 10:26 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Chickens can be surprising in their personalities. We had hens years ago. And then one of our dogs (a chicken-killing dog who we kept away from the hens) gave birth to a litter. Imagine my surprise when I kneeled down to look into the straw bale house I had built for the dog to find a live chicken in there with dog and the litter. And she pecked my hand sharply when I reached in to take a look at the pups.

And the chicken-killing dog made absolutely no move to the chicken. That chicken stayed with the pups as they grew and was a baby-sitter the dog seemed happy to have. The pups snuggled up to her, under her wings.

The pups were probably about 5 weeks old when my husband and I spent the day at a rodeo and when we came back, I followed a trail of chicken feathers all around the house to the rear, where I found the poor hen.

I guess being a baby-sitter had run its course. I did feel terrible. It was interesting in another way that the dog was smart enough to keep that chicken alive as long as it suited her. It also gave me a whole new appreciation of chickens, the chicken being such a faithful "parent."

Old 09-24-2021, 06:18 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,462,437 times
I used to get frozen hen in the supermarket,the meat is a bit tougher but much more tastier than the reguiar chicken.
they are bigger and back then ,cheaper.
where do I find them now?

Old 09-24-2021, 08:30 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I used to get frozen hen in the supermarket,the meat is a bit tougher but much more tastier than the reguiar chicken.
they are bigger and back then ,cheaper.
where do I find them now?

at McDonalds - Chicken McNuggets

Old 09-24-2021, 08:48 PM

4,596 posts, read 2,986,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
We keep hens here in California.
Currently we have 3 Buff Orpington's and only one lays.
Does that mean the other two have been through 'henopause'?

Old 09-25-2021, 10:08 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times
Years ago I worked with a poultry virologist and was sort of sad to learn that they're called "spent hens."

As far as not wanting to kill them, do you even know what is done with the millions of male chicks every year that won't grow into laying or meat hens? It's not pretty.

Old 09-26-2021, 06:57 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
It's because I know what happens at big factory farms that I make sure any animal that comes here, even those who will be food, lives a good life.

That's the reason for having them... for me.

Old 10-01-2021, 04:14 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,068,630 times
One of my friends recently told me something interesting.
He lives on the upper Olympic Peninsula and has a bunch of roosters in his flock of chickens.
He free ranges his chickens.

So apparently if you keep eggs at certain temperatures you can manipulate the sex of the offspring.
Most people want hens so they adjust their incubators or do whatever.
I’m thinking cooler temperatures produce males since our area is not known for high temperatures.

I know that they do that with tortious’s because I used to have several.

So that’s good to know if you are not wanting any roosters or are not sure why you are getting so many.

Cheers.
Andy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living