Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2021, 01:39 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,518,379 times

Advertisements

Live in SW NH, a fairly rural area, although not like western Kansas...

One of the differences about living here (out of many...) is the delivery times for online orders. Same day? Yea, sure. Next day? You optimist. 2 day Amazon Prime? Rarely. My typical Amazon Prime order comes in 4 to 7 days. At least they're honest when I order and state that it will be days.

This past Sunday, I placed big orders for some bicycle maintenance gear with both REI and Amazon. Both promised Thursday delivery. Tuesday I received emails from each saying my stuff will actually come on Wednesday! Sure enough, the REI boxes arrived this morning via UPS. Normally Amazon stuff arrives via the USPS around here. Amazon delivers a batch of orders to our local PO around 7 AM, and it goes out with the day's mail. Today, Amazon goofed. They delivered my order to a town about 60 miles away, not even in the same state. I'm sure the package will leave there tonight, bound for that state's sorting center in Springfield, MA. Springfield is one of USPS's many sorting facilities where things sit for days "in transit". I'll probably see my package some time late next week. Good thing I don't need its contents any time soon!

Such is rural living. Recently got broadband (February). Covid isolation was a piece of cake. Area is as beautiful as ever. Wouldn't trade for anything! Even same day delivery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2021, 03:00 PM

4,614 posts, read 6,397,756 times
"Recently got broadband"...How is your rural broadband delivered ?

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-19-2021, 03:25 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,518,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"Recently got broadband"...How is your rural broadband delivered ?

Regards
Gemstone1
It's delivered by fiber to the home. Two years ago, NH changed state law to allow issuing bonds to pay for infrastructure if the build was in partnership with a company - no municipal broadband. Our town voted to bond in March of 2020, in partnership with the local incumbent telco - Consolidated Communications (CC). CC owns the poles (no buried cable) so they have a cost and speed advantage. The bonds were sold last July. Construction started shortly thereafter and hookups began in February of this year. The service is not cheap, about $110/month, taxes included, for 1gig service, but it's so much better than DSL, which not everyone in town could even get.

Our area, SW NH, outside the few towns has largely been bypassed by broadband until now. 6 or so already have issued bonds and had FTTH installed, and many of the others are in the process of voting on the bonds (votes typically run 95+ percent in favor), getting them sold and building out.

To their credit, Consolidated has been a good partner for towns. They're investing along with the towns. For areas like ours, with spotty cell reception, moving beyond DSL is like a miracle.

Old 05-19-2021, 06:31 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,065,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Live in SW NH, a fairly rural area, although not like western Kansas...

One of the differences about living here (out of many...) is the delivery times for online orders. Same day? Yea, sure. Next day? You optimist. 2 day Amazon Prime? Rarely. My typical Amazon Prime order comes in 4 to 7 days. At least they're honest when I order and state that it will be days.

This past Sunday, I placed big orders for some bicycle maintenance gear with both REI and Amazon. Both promised Thursday delivery. Tuesday I received emails from each saying my stuff will actually come on Wednesday! Sure enough, the REI boxes arrived this morning via UPS. Normally Amazon stuff arrives via the USPS around here. Amazon delivers a batch of orders to our local PO around 7 AM, and it goes out with the day's mail. Today, Amazon goofed. They delivered my order to a town about 60 miles away, not even in the same state. I'm sure the package will leave there tonight, bound for that state's sorting center in Springfield, MA. Springfield is one of USPS's many sorting facilities where things sit for days "in transit". I'll probably see my package some time late next week. Good thing I don't need its contents any time soon!

Such is rural living. Recently got broadband (February). Covid isolation was a piece of cake. Area is as beautiful as ever. Wouldn't trade for anything! Even same day delivery.
Here by Squam Lake, probably 75% of my Amazon stuff comes by UPS. Unfortunately there is no choosing what service they use. I have no mail delivery to the house, so the post offices here have two addresses-my PO Box and a Rural Delivery(or something like that) street address. For companies that I can choose FedEx or UPS, I can choose my actual house physical address.

I have zero cell coverage at my rental house with Verizon or Google Fi, but luckily Spectrum's internet is fast and mostly reliable.

I bought land up in SW Coos county with the intent to build. No broadband, but I have great cell coverage. Met the neighbors and they are using Starlink's beta with good results.

NH is pretty weird with cell coverage-huge patches of populated areas or major roads with nothing. Example-25 between Rumney and Haverhill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living