Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2021, 03:42 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Honestly, I wish more city folk would have enough self-awareness to either (1) stay in their liberal paradise or (2) move to a more conservative district but don't try to change it into what they escaped from.
Why
What right do you have to make decisions about other people’s beliefs?
I thought conservatives were live and let live people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2021, 03:43 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think I have been trying to discern exactly what liberal or leftist ideas the poster really cares about. Because there is a irreconcilable conflict between the the things she's looking for, and "liberal" political realities.

Words mean different things to different people, and the details in this case matter. There's nothing insulting about trying to be clear about exactly what politics or ideas she's either looking for, or looking to avoid.

And now we may never know...
Reading between the lines I thought the OP was maybe gay
And felt her lifestyle might not find comparable values in rural/farmland in TN

Old 05-06-2021, 03:55 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Reading between the lines I thought the OP was maybe gay
And felt her lifestyle might not find comparable values in rural/farmland in TN
Well, being a country gal who minds her own business... I never try to guess or assume such things about other people.

Old 05-06-2021, 05:00 PM

25,447 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reice View Post
Most rural folk don't announce their political side. That is truly staying out of others business. Agree with above, Canada.
Most rural folks I'm around do. I know where most of the townspeople and the business owners stand.

Old 05-06-2021, 05:05 PM

25,447 posts, read 9,809,749 times
My DH and I have relocated to two different very rural, small southern towns over the past few years, one of which we are still living in. We are liberal and have found a "tribe", if you will, of like-minded people in both locations.

Old 05-06-2021, 05:36 PM

6,708 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Why
What right do you have to make decisions about other people’s beliefs?
I thought conservatives were live and let live people?
exactly my point. Live and let live.

anyway I said "I wish", not "they should".

Of course anyone can move anywhere, and vote/advocate for a cause however they wish. It's the story of our country.

But we are seeing a phenomenon these days of the cities begetting, and exporting, a very liberal population that does NOT live and let live -- they want to regulate everyone and everything around them to fit their expectations of the correct way to live.

I say, when you move to a new place, get a feel for it, build some ties with the community, some acceptance and mutual respect, before trying to change it.

There's been too many nice towns 20-30 miles out from the city around here that turned into bedroom communities and lost their charm and livability. It's a shame.

Old 05-06-2021, 05:57 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
My DH and I have relocated to two different very rural, small southern towns over the past few years, one of which we are still living in. We are liberal and have found a "tribe", if you will, of like-minded people in both locations.
You are fortunate. Not everyone does.

This country is very divided right now. Moving is difficult as it is. We all not all alike. Large cities are usually well known as "progressive" or "conservative" but rural areas can be tricky.

If you were a conservative who was moving to Long Island - where I am originally from, I'd have no problem whatsoever directing you to conservative leaning towns. Places where people tend to be overtly patriotic, like Trump, are involved with conservative churches, where hunting is popular and gun ownership is common. Places where people hang deer upside down to drain the blood without getting flack from neighbors or the township. Places where people drive pick ups and like NASCAR. Where there is an anti-choice Crisis Pregnancy center. If you are conservative, wouldn't you want to know these things?

I'd also be happy to give you the reverse list. Places that have more progressive places of worship, support the arts, value good public schools, and have a Gay community have ethnic foods, natural food stores, and places for vegans and vegetarians to eat and buy food.

(I admit that these are MASSIVE GENERALIZATIONS about the Left and Right - but anyone who is honest with themselves will admit that there is some truth to both descriptions}.

In fact, I after living in OH for almost a decade, I could probably do the same here.

The OP's question was perfectly acceptable. Finding progressive rural places can be tricky. But, they are out there. Locals usually know where they are.

I'm not sure why ANYONE would have an issue helping a fellow human being find a place to live where they fit in to a new location.

The world "liberal" is loaded and frequently misconstrued. "Liberal" - politically and socially, does NOT mean anything goes and all is acceptable.

Progressive people have values as do conservative people.

If your neighbors are all discussing taking their kids to the shooting range or the Rodeo, you may be uncomfortable as a progressive. I wouldn't do either.

It doesn't mean either group are bad people or good people - it means that their political points of view inform their social interests and activities and what is accepted and what is not.

Also, if you are moving you will be judged as an outsider and in some ways, held to higher standards than a local would be. No one knows your family, you may have an accent, you didn't attend the same HS. It's human nature to be suspicious of the new kid on the black.

In today's climate, can you really blame anyone for trying to find these things out before moving?

See my new post in the Psych sub-fora.

Last edited by sheena12; 05-06-2021 at 06:59 PM..

Old 05-06-2021, 06:05 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
She didn’t snub Tennessee she said she felt she wouldn’t fit in there. She wasn’t mentioning liberal for any reason except to want to fit in with like-minded people. She asked where she might find such a place in a rural area. She wasn’t insulting toward conservatives or conservative areas in any way, but many of the responses seemed to be insulting toward liberals and the poster herself.
No. She did not insult anyone and was being pragmatic and respectful. She only said that SHE would not fit in - not that everyone should change to be like her.

For those of you commenting that she didn't return to the thread that she started - well, would YOU?

Hardly anyone attempted to give her advice. SMH...

Old 05-06-2021, 06:38 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Honestly, I wish more city folk would have enough self-awareness to either (1) stay in their liberal paradise or (2) move to a more conservative district but don't try to change it into what they escaped from.
First of all, why are people assuming she’s from a city? There are plenty of liberal people in suburban and rural areas. I’m a Dem and grew up in the country and have never lived in a city in my life. Only a small percentage of people in this country actually live in cities.

Second, where did she say she wanted to change anything? It sounded to me like the opposite, she was trying to find a rural or farming area that wasn’t ultra-conservative.

I feel like just her stating she’s a liberal has gotten people’s hackles up for some reason I don’t know. But posters seem both defensive and hostile toward her post when all she did was ask a pretty straight forward question. She didn’t insult anyone, she didn’t say anything against conservatives or conservative areas, what exactly are people so riled up about?

Old 05-06-2021, 06:51 PM

9,100 posts, read 6,321,431 times
Quote:
exactly my point. Live and let live.

anyway I said "I wish", not "they should".

Of course anyone can move anywhere, and vote/advocate for a cause however they wish. It's the story of our country.

But we are seeing a phenomenon these days of the cities begetting, and exporting, a very liberal population that does NOT live and let live -- they want to regulate everyone and everything around them to fit their expectations of the correct way to live.

I say, when you move to a new place, get a feel for it, build some ties with the community, some acceptance and mutual respect, before trying to change it.

There's been too many nice towns 20-30 miles out from the city around here that turned into bedroom communities and lost their charm and livability. It's a shame.
Unfortunately these days 'live and let live' will result in 'live and let lose.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living