Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2021, 06:52 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,491,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
First of all, why are people assuming she’s from a city? There are plenty of liberal people in suburban and rural areas. I’m a Dem and grew up in the country and have never lived in a city in my life. Only a small percentage of people in this country actually live in cities.

Second, where did she say she wanted to change anything? It sounded to me like the opposite, she was trying to find a rural or farming area that wasn’t ultra-conservative.

I feel like just her stating she’s a liberal has gotten people’s hackles up for some reason I don’t know. But posters seem both defensive and hostile toward her post when all she did was ask a pretty straight forward question. She didn’t insult anyone, she didn’t say anything against conservatives or conservative areas, what exactly are people so riled up about?
I know! I grew up in a very small town. When we first moved there there was ONE school - K-12.

I'm a former Democrat. Now a progressive Independent.

The OP said NOTHING that should have inspired the kind or ire she received. What happened to civility?

I just asked about FL real estate - I did not mention politics - and immediately someone told me to move to California with other liberals, or something to that effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2021, 07:06 PM

50,820 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I know! I grew up in a very small town. When we first moved there there was ONE school - K-12.

The OP said NOTHING that should have inspired the kind or ire she received. What happened to civility?

I just asked about FL real estate - I did not mention politics - and immediately someone told me to move to California with other liberals, or something to that effect.
Yet the same people claim it’s the liberal media dividing the county. People really need to look in the mirror first.

Old 05-06-2021, 10:21 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Canada is best for you.
Indeed. Let me recommend the Northwest Territory and/or Yukon. The further north, the better!

Old 05-07-2021, 03:35 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag6694 View Post
Would appreciate recommendations on rural areas with affordable farms/land. I am looking for 50-100 acres that I can farm on. Pastures for grazing and haying, water source, ideally wooded area as well. Prefer no zoning. Currently in southern New England. Expensive, no farm land left, restrictive zoning. Would like to have more privacy, a little warmer temp, area large enough to quarantine sick animals, and neighbors far enough away that we can be civil but people stay out of my business, don't poach on my land or complain to authorities about how I operate. I was all set to move to the Knoxville, TN area but dont feel I would be welcome now due to being left of center, politically. I am a single female and don't want to be where I dont fit in or have to worry about nonsense. While i want my property to be set apart, i do plan on becoming active in church and community.

Are there any left-leaning pockets in rural America south of New England? Thinking I'm going to probably have to suck it up and go north to MA, VT, NH, maybe ME or even Canada.
Eastern Colorado or various pockets in eastern Arkansas or south Texas.

Election maps

Old 05-07-2021, 06:23 AM

25,449 posts, read 9,813,207 times
Quote:
You are fortunate. Not everyone does.

This country is very divided right now. Moving is difficult as it is. We all not all alike. Large cities are usually well known as "progressive" or "conservative" but rural areas can be tricky.

If you were a conservative who was moving to Long Island - where I am originally from, I'd have no problem whatsoever directing you to conservative leaning towns. Places where people tend to be overtly patriotic, like Trump, are involved with conservative churches, where hunting is popular and gun ownership is common. Places where people hang deer upside down to drain the blood without getting flack from neighbors or the township. Places where people drive pick ups and like NASCAR. Where there is an anti-choice Crisis Pregnancy center. If you are conservative, wouldn't you want to know these things?

I'd also be happy to give you the reverse list. Places that have more progressive places of worship, support the arts, value good public schools, and have a Gay community have ethnic foods, natural food stores, and places for vegans and vegetarians to eat and buy food.

(I admit that these are MASSIVE GENERALIZATIONS about the Left and Right - but anyone who is honest with themselves will admit that there is some truth to both descriptions}.

In fact, I after living in OH for almost a decade, I could probably do the same here.

The OP's question was perfectly acceptable. Finding progressive rural places can be tricky. But, they are out there. Locals usually know where they are.

I'm not sure why ANYONE would have an issue helping a fellow human being find a place to live where they fit in to a new location.

The world "liberal" is loaded and frequently misconstrued. "Liberal" - politically and socially, does NOT mean anything goes and all is acceptable.

Progressive people have values as do conservative people.

If your neighbors are all discussing taking their kids to the shooting range or the Rodeo, you may be uncomfortable as a progressive. I wouldn't do either.

It doesn't mean either group are bad people or good people - it means that their political points of view inform their social interests and activities and what is accepted and what is not.

Also, if you are moving you will be judged as an outsider and in some ways, held to higher standards than a local would be. No one knows your family, you may have an accent, you didn't attend the same HS. It's human nature to be suspicious of the new kid on the black.

In today's climate, can you really blame anyone for trying to find these things out before moving?

See my new post in the Psych sub-fora.
You are so right that we are lucky. We have friends who are conservative as well, but it is nice when you have a group of like-minded people.

Speaking of fitting in with the locals, I have a cool story. When we first came here, I was pumping gas at the local fast food station. A lady struck up a conversation with me about my car, and we started talking. She asked me where I was from, she told me she had lived in this area her entire life and by the end of the conversation, she had invited me to come visit her. What a nice gesture.

I have found that the local folks are very friendly here, including the young people. One day I was shopping at the Dollar General, and was getting ready to return my buggy to the store. A group of young men who were headed into the store came up to me and said, "we can get that for you, ma'am." I mean, how sweet is that?

Old 05-07-2021, 07:25 AM

374 posts, read 378,053 times
As a progressive person with a lot and I mean a lot of rural type values, I have a foot in both worlds, and I would say that a great deal of the anger on both sides comes from ignorance.

The liberals with the worst attitudes are the ones who wouldn't know which end of the nail to hammer on, and their shoes are always clean (This irks me. It is such a trial getting to church with clean shoes, I don't know how people even do it). The country is like a fantasy movie to them, but they are afraid of and disgusted by the stereotype of bigoted, ignorant, aggressive hick. And exactly why shouldn't they be?

On the other side are the rural folks with a chip on their shoulder the size of a redwood tree. They go straight to the most extreme and ridiculous stereotype of a city person, making themselves sound like thugs looking for a fight. Get a grip, people, liberals are not your real enemies. Megaglobalcorporate Agribusiness is going to affect you a lot more than some semi-clueless person who is just looking for things like fresh air and green spaces -- the things we enjoy every day without hardly thinking about it.

You know, there are plenty of hardworking small farmers who are liberals, at least in New England. They have a lot in common with (and respect for) their conservative neighbors. They might have originally been back to the lander hippies with dreams, but farming is farming, and they show up for their coffee and idle gossip in dirty overalls at the only cafe in town along with everyone else.

Okay, enough ranting for now.

Old 05-07-2021, 07:45 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,058,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sombrueil View Post
...City people are used to diversity in a way that country people are not. They are also used to a different kind of privacy, the privacy of anonymity in a crowd, and it can be disturbing when the postmistress knows that your sister is visiting and that you have painted your barn an unusual color which everyone disapproves of...
This is one of the things I like about a small town; the lack of anonymity. Someone said that in a small town, everyone knows whose credit is good, and whose wife is not. I believe this lack of anonymity encourages people to be on their best behavior.

By the time my father died, my mother had dementia, and my sister & I had to do everything. Rather than dealing with a bunch of strangers, I was able to use the funeral director who taught my EMT-A class, the estate lawyer I met through my retirement planning class, and the auctioneer who attended my church. Years later, when I went to an adjacent county to buy a vehicle with the options I wanted, it turned out the salesman had worked under my father.

I lived in the big city for 2 1/2 years after graduating from college. Taking advantage of the amenities by going to the orchestra, opera, ballet, etc. was not an option due to low pay and high cost of living.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:20 AM

24,124 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
You are so right that we are lucky. We have friends who are conservative as well, but it is nice when you have a group of like-minded people.

Speaking of fitting in with the locals, I have a cool story. When we first came here, I was pumping gas at the local fast food station. A lady struck up a conversation with me about my car, and we started talking. She asked me where I was from, she told me she had lived in this area her entire life and by the end of the conversation, she had invited me to come visit her. What a nice gesture.

I have found that the local folks are very friendly here, including the young people. One day I was shopping at the Dollar General, and was getting ready to return my buggy to the store. A group of young men who were headed into the store came up to me and said, "we can get that for you, ma'am." I mean, how sweet is that?
That IS sweet!

Old 05-07-2021, 08:41 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Quote:

Doesn’t surprise me re the FL response

We have second home there, moving permanently later this month...not because we love the state, it’s government, or many of the people...but our daughter lives ther and they won’t relocate back to TX

They run the gamut
Plenty of people are eco-oriented and anti development by huge builders because of environmental impact but plent more are just small-minded, anti anything that doesn’t fit the GOP playbook
Have both in our small subdivision
My issue is that the very conservative don’t see facts...
They will say liberals are the same or worse but that really is not accurate...
I admit there are things about liberals that I don’t always approve or agree with, but GOP followers will admit to nothing wrong about theirs...

Old 05-07-2021, 09:19 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
Asheville North Carolina.
I have a friend who very liberal and she's happy in the Wilmington area. No complaints from her after 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living