Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2021, 04:59 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,893,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think you're responding to me... And I don't think ALL those things are bad (no one but you has used the term "evil") necessarily....only saying it's a little contradictory to look for "rural left-leaning places" that have no zoning or environmental or animal husbandry regulations. Those are the kinds of things left leaning areas are most prone to do. So if our OP doesn't want those left-leaning ideas, what exactly is our OP looking for?

Even as a conservative, I'm not against all of them, only the silly ones that make no sense. I could give examples details if you really care.
Please give examples of the silly ones that make no sense.

This is not a challenge. I'm truly interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2021, 05:14 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,939,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sombrueil View Post
First, it was a woman who posted, and second, it would take a very staunch-hearted person to endure what amounted to abusive insults when she posted in good faith, and for the first time on this board. I would have left myself. And to those who think Good Riddance! -- you are the problem, not her.
Actually, she/they posted once, and according to their profile, they have not returned since posting. Therefore, they probably have not even read the responses.

Old 05-11-2021, 05:32 PM

50,820 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
The OP made one post and hasn’t returned. I wonder what that says about his motives?
It says more about the rather insulting responses she was getting, IMO.

Old 05-11-2021, 05:44 PM

Agreed sombrueil, and the OP may have found the information she was looking for on another site. I do agree that the post was somewhat all over the place. And I still feel it's impossible to find liberal rural areas. Even in Oregon which is a PURPLE state, the rural areas are very RED. The Willamette Valley is Blue, but the prices are astronomical, and the terrain that isn't taken up by agribiz is a bit hilly.

Old 05-11-2021, 05:58 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Please give examples of the silly ones that make no sense.

This is not a challenge. I'm truly interested.

Easy Local one.... Protection of the Mazama Pocket Gopher.

This little critter survived and continues to thrive in the Mt. St Helens blast zone, in the artillery impact zones of JBLM, and at most of our local airports. The forest service tried to kill them off for YEARS unsuccessfully, and yet, Thurston County, the county where I live and work, feels that a small subspecies of these critters, distinctive from other pocket gophers only for it's larger than average penis (I wish I was kidding about this!) are threatened by rural people building homes and barns. The real truth is these critters aren't harmed by people or our activities at all... in fact, we IMPROVE the habitat for them. If you have gophers on your land you can't build there, but you're required to mow the grass for them! I think the truth is they LOVE disturbed soils like those found around homes and gardens and farms and firing ranges and volcanoes.

We are in a transition phase now, from the initial "plan" for saving the gophers, which entailed having a county inspector come out three times 30 days apart in the summer (which meant it took two summers) to look for gophers and drawing protected 60'foot circles around any known gopher mounds (like they never move around). This was unworkable and made new development in rural areas of our county very very difficult simply because of the delays, whether gophers were found or not. If they were found, you couldn't build near the circles.

The NEW plan involves having an inspector come out twice, 30 days apart, and if gophers are found you have to write a check, the amount is still being decided but I think it's going to be about $5000 per acre, for the county to use to buy good gopher habitat somewhere else, and then you can plow yours under if you want. They don't move any gophers or care if yours are killed then, it's just a money and land grab.

Silly enough?

If you want another silly liberal wildlife policy we can talk about Barred Owls.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 05-11-2021 at 06:07 PM..

Old 05-11-2021, 06:29 PM

I agree about the Mazama Pocket Gopher. I do not agree about the Barred Owl.

Old 05-11-2021, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I agree about the Mazama Pocket Gopher. I do not agree about the Barred Owl.

OK well at least we agree on something! What's OK about killing Barred Owls simply because they're more successful than Spotted Owls? Isn't that what Darwin's whole theory was about?

Old 05-12-2021, 12:31 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,461,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Funny how Liberals are the least Live and Let Live type people.

You don't really understand country people do you.
Funny indeed, when it mostly seems to be the 'country people' here making such a fuss about it (though we can't all live in uber-'tolerant' Texas, with it's 'fondness' for Kalifornians)?!

Old 05-12-2021, 05:34 AM

2 posts, read 7,305 times
Apparently it is not possible to post here without being attacked and insulted. To the person who claims I dont know country, I know country as much or more than you. My family were poor farmers who worked our asses off for everything. We grew our own food, made our own clothes, milled our own lumber out of necessity, before it was the cool thing to do.

I am actually not registered with any political party. Where I live now, political leanings are no secret, and I don't push mine on others, but I also don't want to have to fear for my safety because of my personal beliefs.

Thank you to those of you who answered my question with civility. I'll show myself out.

Old 05-12-2021, 09:55 AM

Freedom and opinions are messy. Everyone here has a reply button. We can't control the manners of everyone.

Instead of just insulting everyone, you *could* engage with those who tried to help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living