Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2021, 09:02 AM

37,471 posts, read 61,423,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Thx, just what we need, 'financial advice' from the poorest state in New England (though at least Maine ain't quite as bad as the South... yet)?!
I migrated here after I retired, for a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2021, 09:07 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Funny indeed, when it mostly seems to be the 'country people' here making such a fuss about it (though we can't all live in uber-'tolerant' Texas, with it's 'fondness' for Kalifornians)?!
It's still the top destination State for people leaving CA.

Old 05-13-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It's still the top destination State for people leaving CA.
I live in a town of 235 people, right now three families are from California.

Old 05-13-2021, 09:16 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I live in a town of 235 people, right now three families are from California.
I have at least 10 friends that have moved out in the last few years. We are probably not far behind them but things are delayed now that I get to work from home.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:35 AM

50,825 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
realtors 'helping' Ha Ha ha.

realtors earn a living off a commission of sales. They 'need' higher prices to give them higher commissions.

In my area, there are FSBO properties asking as low as $350 an acre. And there are realtor signs up asking as low as $5,000 an acre. The realtor ads are seen by people all across the nation, as realtors provide advertising.

Do not! Do not! Do not do business with a realtor. They are rip offs.
Yes we too (south Jersey) have a few rural areas where land is relatively inexpensive and comes with huge tax breaks, but you must agree to farm it. Some people just grow hay because it’s a relatively easy crop.

Old 05-13-2021, 11:06 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Quote:

realtors earn a living off a commission of sales. They 'need' higher prices to give them higher commissions.

In my area, there are FSBO properties asking as low as $350 an acre. And there are realtor signs up asking as low as $5,000 an acre. The realtor ads are seen by people all across the nation, as realtors provide advertising.

More important in the long run than commission rates is the fact that realtors’ own interests lie in racking up many sales, including turning over the same property several times in a short period. The more dissatisfied the buyers are—to the point that they sell fairly soon—the greater the number of sales transactions available to the realtors. This becomes more of a likelihood when the supply of properties is low, and the number of realtors circling for blood is high. Push out the existing owners to create more places for sale!

Heck, even if it were a closed loop with the all the sellers and buyers basically playing musical houses, the realtors would still make money off the transactions...unless they are cut out of the process.

The above does not mean I eschew realtors. It means that I do not trust them any more than I would trust a car salesperson. They’re going to do whatever it takes to make a sale, preferably one that earns them the biggest commission. Don’t believe any realtor really is trying to find your great match. That is nice, but it is by-catch to them. And it means you’re less likely to recirculate the house soon due to wanting something more appropriate.

I am starting to be a fan of FSBO, aided by a RE attorney to make sure all is done properly. Cut out the “personality” aspect of searching for a place and get rid of the agents marketing garbage they think you want. As a person who never wanted children, grandchildren, or party hosting, I got sick of the stuff being pushed at us because of the agent’s bias towards guest rooms, entertainment rooms, childplay safe space, and showing off for visitors. One agent whom I told we did not want any “extra” bedrooms came down real hard that “Now that you have a house HERE, lots of people will want to visit.” I should have told her that anybody who only visited because we had a nice tourist-destination home would be referred to one of the nice hotels and B&Bs.

With land, things get very interesting indeed. I doubt people who looked at this parcel before us bothered to walk around it like we did. We were delighted that people are soooooo lazy.

OP would do well to focus less on the politics and more on the suitability of specific acreages for what she wants to do with it. Study the climate patterns well.

Old 05-13-2021, 11:10 AM

14,494 posts, read 12,134,812 times
Quote:

Maybe some need a Realtor to help explain the difference between $350/acre properties and $5000 or $50,000 per acre properties. The differences on vacant land couldn't be more important.

Old 05-13-2021, 11:11 AM

6,590 posts, read 4,982,629 times
Quote:
Nuthin's ever 'free'... 'affordable' acreage is usually that way for a reason, and can't imagine even considering buying any property w/o first checking out the local 'culture'. Also no disrespect towards the OP, but seriously, if folks can afford several hundred acres of any kind, then why ask total strangers on the interwebs? When heck, there must be dozens of knowledgeable realtors these days, who'd love to 'help'?!
To be honest, 50-100 acres is considerably less than "several hundred"

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
How old are you?

50-100 acres is a ton of work...........I have a friend with 50 acres, had a few horses and had a crew of 3 men caring for the property and it cost him 135K a year. Those 3 guys were full time, worked 40 hours a week each and there was no farming going on.
Maybe they just want some space between properties for privacy. I know they mentioned animals and farming, but it doesn't mean they were looking to do that with the entire property.

I'm looking for that type of acreage and am not planning on large animals. I would bike on it though.

Old 05-13-2021, 11:25 AM

14,494 posts, read 12,134,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The above does not mean I eschew realtors. It means that I do not trust them any more than I would trust a car salesperson. They’re going to do whatever it takes to make a sale, preferably one that earns them the biggest commission. Don’t believe any realtor really is trying to find your great match.
FWIW, while I disagree that agents intentionally want people to be unhappy with their purchase (that really isn't a good omen for getting future business!) I will agree at least in part, that it is not the agent's role to know what will make people truly happy in a place. We don't know. I certainly wouldn't take responsibility for knowing better than the client what clients really want. We really try to make sure they know the ups and downs of properties, but some people's downs are other people's ups and what we think about an area or its politics, or the value of guest rooms or decor choices shouldn't and usually doesn't make a bit of difference to people.

Quote:
OP would do well to focus less on the politics and more on the suitability of specific acreages for what she wants to do with it. Study the climate patterns well.
This is terrific advice! We are approached frequently by people who have no idea what is entailed in developing a proposed property, or what to look out for in choosing the right property.

Old 05-13-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Maybe some need a Realtor to help explain the difference between $350/acre properties and $5000 or $50,000 per acre properties. The differences on vacant land couldn't be more important.
A few times now, people have driven up my driveway to meet me. These people were shopping for bare land and some realtor has sent them here. The property adjacent to my property is on the market. These potential buyers wanted to meet the neighbors and to ask about the area. I gladly go out with them to walk the property lines and talk about the area. The property listed on the MLS is asking $5,000 per acre. I make sure to take these people across the street to another parcel of land for sale asking $350 an acre.

Both of these parcels are woodlot. The $5,000 an acre parcel is about 50% swamp. The $350 an acre parcel has about a quarter of it is peat bog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living