Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2021, 08:51 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,918,670 times

Advertisements

OP, you need to read this — THIS is what good rural living is all about.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/rura...-out-here.html

People who mind their own until there’s a need, then appear quietly to help, then go quietly back.

People who care, don’t give a flyin’ flip about political views. Unless you want to stir the pot, leave your views at your own kitchen table, or save them for the next rally you are aligned with.

When company visits me, The rules in my house are “no politics, no religion”. I don’t care about your beliefs,
but I do care if I have to worry about you snooping thru cupboards when I leave the room——

Maybe you should just stay where you’re at ————
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2021, 11:18 AM

319 posts, read 199,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Simple...leave politics out of any discussions and no one will ever know you are "left of center". Try to keep your "left of center" opinions private, and for God's sake, don't be a Woke Scold or act like a SJW if/when they voice opinions you disagree with. You'll find there are good people in all rural areas (yes, even conservatives). We like others to "stay out of our business", as do you.
Really? Not where I live.

Small town Tennessee. People so openly red it's a wonder they don't dye their skin that color. Trump/Confederate/"LIBRULS SHOULD BE SHOT" banners on their trucks, flying as flags, signs littering their lawns.

The few Biden/Harris signs appearing on public corners and land didn't last a day. When I went to vote, an actual line was drawn, denoting the perimeters of campaign space. Trumper supporters were toed up to the line. I had to "excuse me, I need to get by" as people screamed TRUMMMP! at each voter. It was awful. Absolute bedlam. I finally resorted to "get the f**** outa my WAY!" to get to the polling center.

With the election past, the Trump 2024 flags have gone up, as well as obstructions to the landscape touting the big lie.

Know what? I live here because of the low cost of living. Because of the beauty of the area. There's a well-stocked library and places that make good coffee. The conservatives can go f* themselves. The small conclave of liberals found each other through careful sweeps and band together. We ignore the Red haze and support our causes quietly and with sanity, through voting and donations. People absolutely necessary to us, like doctors and dentists - well, those people show neutrality in their offices.

To the OP, I'd try North Carolina or southwest VA. I lived in NC for almost 30 years, spending a lot of my spare time riding the backroads on my motorcycle. I found land and met people like the ones you prefer. When I had trouble with my bike and had no phone reception, when I found myself lost on one of the squiggly red roads I followed on a topo map, I walked up to the porch or interrupted an old dude mowing his yard to ask for help. Most of the time, I'd be asked if I wanted tea or a glass of water and was invited to sit and talk. There was talk of the weather, the land, questions about my travels and advice on the small, poky, beautiful areas I sought. Sometimes I was told "if you are ever up in this area on a Sunday, we'd welcome you to come to church." Just simple, meandering talk. This behavior covered all the terms of presidents from George Herbert Walker Bush to Barack Obama. There was never a peep of politics, even if there was an elephant sign on their yard.

We left NC because taxes have quadrupled, insurance (health and property) is becoming exorbitant, and we couldn't afford the kind of retirement home we wanted on a restricted income. Moving to eastern TN, we thought "it's close to NC, it'll feel like our old home." Nope. I'd move back there in a red hot minute if we could afford to. I now play the lottery with the thought "I'M GONE as soon as the check arrives."

It hurts my heart that we had to leave the Piedmont, that hurt is made worse by the crazy redness I see here.

Old 08-09-2021, 02:25 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,939,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Luv Chins View Post
Really? Not where I live.

Small town Tennessee. People so openly red it's a wonder they don't dye their skin that color. Trump/Confederate/"LIBRULS SHOULD BE SHOT" banners on their trucks, flying as flags, signs littering their lawns.

The few Biden/Harris signs appearing on public corners and land didn't last a day. When I went to vote, an actual line was drawn, denoting the perimeters of campaign space. Trumper supporters were toed up to the line. I had to "excuse me, I need to get by" as people screamed TRUMMMP! at each voter. It was awful. Absolute bedlam. I finally resorted to "get the f**** outa my WAY!" to get to the polling center.

With the election past, the Trump 2024 flags have gone up, as well as obstructions to the landscape touting the big lie.

Know what? I live here because of the low cost of living. Because of the beauty of the area. There's a well-stocked library and places that make good coffee. The conservatives can go f* themselves. The small conclave of liberals found each other through careful sweeps and band together. We ignore the Red haze and support our causes quietly and with sanity, through voting and donations. People absolutely necessary to us, like doctors and dentists - well, those people show neutrality in their offices.

To the OP, I'd try North Carolina or southwest VA. I lived in NC for almost 30 years, spending a lot of my spare time riding the backroads on my motorcycle. I found land and met people like the ones you prefer. When I had trouble with my bike and had no phone reception, when I found myself lost on one of the squiggly red roads I followed on a topo map, I walked up to the porch or interrupted an old dude mowing his yard to ask for help. Most of the time, I'd be asked if I wanted tea or a glass of water and was invited to sit and talk. There was talk of the weather, the land, questions about my travels and advice on the small, poky, beautiful areas I sought. Sometimes I was told "if you are ever up in this area on a Sunday, we'd welcome you to come to church." Just simple, meandering talk. This behavior covered all the terms of presidents from George Herbert Walker Bush to Barack Obama. There was never a peep of politics, even if there was an elephant sign on their yard.

We left NC because taxes have quadrupled, insurance (health and property) is becoming exorbitant, and we couldn't afford the kind of retirement home we wanted on a restricted income. Moving to eastern TN, we thought "it's close to NC, it'll feel like our old home." Nope. I'd move back there in a red hot minute if we could afford to. I now play the lottery with the thought "I'M GONE as soon as the check arrives."

It hurts my heart that we had to leave the Piedmont, that hurt is made worse by the crazy redness I see here.
Now you know how conservatives living in a deep blue Northeast state feel.

I have to believe you picked a bad spot. There are lots of places in Tennessee where people don't act like that.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:49 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
It's too late. Everything is unreasonably overpriced. Not a good time to buy.

Old 08-09-2021, 08:23 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
There are still many hippy communes in New England. Off-grid farms producing organic veggies and livestock, marketing their products in roadside farmers markets.

Old 08-09-2021, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
There are still many hippy communes in New England. Off-grid farms producing organic veggies and livestock, marketing their products in roadside farmers markets.

Old 08-16-2021, 03:13 PM

124 posts, read 108,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Maine is such a beautiful state, especially along the coast. Not sure I could do the long winters though.

Old 08-16-2021, 03:21 PM

love to get some live maine lobster or clam chowder.

Old 08-16-2021, 03:31 PM

93,402 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Now you know how conservatives living in a deep blue Northeast state feel.

I have to believe you picked a bad spot. There are lots of places in Tennessee where people don't act like that.
Even “deep blue” states have more conservative and moderate areas.

Old 08-16-2021, 03:55 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Dreamer View Post
Maine is such a beautiful state, especially along the coast. Not sure I could do the long winters though.
Farmers Almanac says the first day of winter is 21 December, and the last day of winter is 19 March. It is the same for you as it is for me. 3 months long. I like real winters.

We get real winters, our rivers and lakes freeze so we can all drive across them. As an added bonus we have over 16,000 miles of sled trails for all the folks who keep huskies.

I have lived in the South, I do not care for that heat.

The coast is nice we have over 3,000 miles of coast line. but the coast is a little too rich for my blood. I live inland. We have a lot of rivers, lakes and ponds. My property has a quarter-mile of river frontage. Where the forest meets a river is a nice place to rest. Over 92% of the state is forest.

This state has the eldest population and the highest percentage of retirees in the entire nation. A lot of old folks prefer winter over summer heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living