Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2021, 03:57 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
love to get some live maine lobster or clam chowder.
Lobster is nice. Today we had steak, potatoes, and fresh corn on the cob. It is nice when you can local source all organic food, without anything having to be trucked in from out of state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2021, 04:02 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Farmers Almanac says the first day of winter is 21 December, and the last day of winter is 19 March. It is the same for you as it is for me. 3 months long. I like real winters.

We get real winters, our rivers and lakes freeze so we can all drive across them. As an added bonus we have over 16,000 miles of sled trails for all the folks who keep huskies.

I have lived in the South, I do not care for that heat.

The coast is nice we have over 3,000 miles of coast line. but the coast is a little too rich for my blood. I live inland. We have a lot of rivers, lakes and ponds. My property has a quarter-mile of river frontage. Where the forest meets a river is a nice place to rest. Over 92% of the state is forest.

This state has the eldest population and the highest percentage of retirees in the entire nation. A lot of old folks prefer winter over summer heat.
wE will take cold over heat any day. I have a preference for 55-65 year round and or foggy. Once it gets in the 80's I start sweating. I do prefer living near the water like I used to Pacific Ocean but the only problem is the salt air erodes everything inside the house. High maintenance. Salt eats up everything. The cars end up as rust buckets.

Old 08-16-2021, 04:34 PM

Quote:
wE will take cold over heat any day. I have a preference for 55-65 year round and or foggy. Once it gets in the 80's I start sweating. I do prefer living near the water like I used to Pacific Ocean but the only problem is the salt air erodes everything inside the house. High maintenance. Salt eats up everything. The cars end up as rust buckets.
I used to own a home in Scotland. directly across the road was ocean water. During storms the waves crash on road and doused our cars. Our entirely front yard was routinely soaked in salt water. That was the only time I owned a Jaquar but man did that thing rust.

Here in the cities they use salt on the roads to rust away the resident's cars. I live out where it is rural, we do not pay enough taxes for the county to afford to dump salt on the road. The plow trucks just press down hard on their blades to scrap the ice and snow smooth, it fills the pot holes nicely.

Last winter one of our plow truck drivers took a mid-winter vacation, so his 35yo son took over driving for a week. He put too much pressure on the plow blade, it sliced down through the pavement and it lifted the pavement and threw all of that asphalt into the ditch, for 50 foot before he was able to stop the truck.

I have seen people grip about studded tires supposedly harming the pavement, but I have never seen sparks fly from studded tires the way that you normally see sparks flying from a plow truck.

Old 08-16-2021, 05:03 PM

124 posts, read 108,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Farmers Almanac says the first day of winter is 21 December, and the last day of winter is 19 March. It is the same for you as it is for me. 3 months long. I like real winters.

We get real winters, our rivers and lakes freeze so we can all drive across them. As an added bonus we have over 16,000 miles of sled trails for all the folks who keep huskies.

I have lived in the South, I do not care for that heat.

The coast is nice we have over 3,000 miles of coast line. but the coast is a little too rich for my blood. I live inland. We have a lot of rivers, lakes and ponds. My property has a quarter-mile of river frontage. Where the forest meets a river is a nice place to rest. Over 92% of the state is forest.

This state has the eldest population and the highest percentage of retirees in the entire nation. A lot of old folks prefer winter over summer heat.

This is interesting. Something I didn't know. Personally, I like a healthy moderation of each of the 4 seasons.

Where I live now doesn't exactly fit that bill.

Edited to state:
I just looked it up... Maine barely beats out Florida!! LOL

Old 08-16-2021, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Dreamer View Post
... Edited to state:
I just looked it up... Maine barely beats out Florida!! LOL
And yet, in most people's minds, Florida is clearly the destination of all retirees.

Old 08-18-2021, 03:46 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
Florida?
Just too much humidity and crime there.

Old 08-18-2021, 05:57 PM

7,263 posts, read 5,143,446 times
Quote:
SF has great foggy weather and is between 55-65 degrees all year round -unique MILLION DOLLAR WEATHER which is fine by me. We don't like sun.
:
If the Giants had moved to LA instead of SF, Willy Mays would have wound up with 900 HRS. The ball don't fly as far in the cold & wet.

Old 08-18-2021, 06:36 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,341,179 times
Well, the OP apparently walked off in a snit a long time ago. but for anyone else with drams of Five Acres and Opportunty, a guide for wannabee gentle(wo)men farmers from a very long time ago, I sincerely hope the OP has/had friends who know the area where she settles, and a good knowedge of the demands of day-to-day farming, Start out small -- five acres, ten at most, and don't even think of livestock, paricularly a dairy cow, until you have a better picture of what things are really like. You can almost always rent farmland out for enough to pay the property taxes.

This is NOT a case of Ma and Pa Kettle on the Farm; you can lose a lot of dreams, and a fair amount of your life's savings, in a relatively short time.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-18-2021 at 07:02 PM..

Old 08-19-2021, 07:18 AM

255 posts, read 262,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag6694 View Post
Would appreciate recommendations on rural areas with affordable farms/land. I am looking for 50-100 acres that I can farm on. Pastures for grazing and haying, water source, ideally wooded area as well. Prefer no zoning. Currently in southern New England. Expensive, no farm land left, restrictive zoning. Would like to have more privacy, a little warmer temp, area large enough to quarantine sick animals, and neighbors far enough away that we can be civil but people stay out of my business, don't poach on my land or complain to authorities about how I operate. I was all set to move to the Knoxville, TN area but dont feel I would be welcome now due to being left of center, politically. I am a single female and don't want to be where I dont fit in or have to worry about nonsense. While i want my property to be set apart, i do plan on becoming active in church and community.

Are there any left-leaning pockets in rural America south of New England? Thinking I'm going to probably have to suck it up and go north to MA, VT, NH, maybe ME or even Canada.
A perfect example of why red area folks don't want "left leaners" moving to their areas. "left leaners" wanting all the benefits of a conservative way of life, yet they lean left, vote left which destroys those very conservative ways of life they say they are after. Seriously....and left leaners say conservatives are ignorant??????

If you were to find such a place, then preceded to vote your left leaning viewpoints, please tell me how long would such a place last before it is exactly like what you are fleeing?

I never want to be a person that wishes anyone any ill in any way, but I truly hope you do not find this place (such as where I live and am struggling to keep it that way against forces such as you and your view points) until you figure out why these places exist and how to keep them that way.

Hint: You don't keep those places that way by being "left leaning".

Last edited by Wytempest; 08-19-2021 at 07:28 AM..

Old 08-19-2021, 07:34 PM

16,091 posts, read 10,757,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Even “deep blue” states have more conservative and moderate areas.
New Mexico is blue, in the cities and certainly in the northern counties in the Rio Grande Valley. Less in tbe south. But there is a strong social conservatism tradition and some libertarian sentiment so it is a tempered liberalism -- not bleeding edge. Rural life will be steeped in NM tradition in many areas. People are very protective of some of the old Spanish land grants and outsiders are fairly rare in those areas. I have seen signs posted against selling to outsiders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living