Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2021, 07:32 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthretiree View Post
I’d disagree that most rural folks don’t announce their political side. Driving through rural areas these past few elections, I saw many, many political campaign signs in farmhouse yards. Same thing in small towns.
I've seen political campaign signs, signs clearly expressing right-leaning views, Confederate flags, ... in rural areas.

I grew up in rural Idaho. When I went back to our last reunion, I saw Confederate flags. In Idaho!

I think what happened is that those who went on to college after graduation, moved away. Those who stayed behind in rural areas tend to either adopt or grow up with right-leaning views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2021, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
Asheville North Carolina.
Asheville itself is liberal, but it is surrounded by Trump country. Republicans have gerrymandered the districts to dilute Asheville's Democratic tilt. David Cawthorn and Mark Meadows came from this area.

Also, the land around Asheville is not cheap.

Old 11-01-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
I think you should go wherever the land and temperature meets your requirements. You will find left leaning people everywhere, there is no area that is 100% any leaning not even in the deep south. If you look at a political map by county, you will see rural counties are red--but if you drill down to the statistics you will also find that even in the most red areas of the nation there is 30-48% blue votes. Remember a state's electoral votes go to the winner--even if that winner won by only one vote.

I was reading yesterday about a town in Montana that was the first sufferage town in the entire nation. Women were allowed to vote and hold office there long before it became federal law. Montana!

In my rural red area I live in, the red votes may be louder with their many political signs, but I pay attention and there are many quieter left leaning folk, many who own farms. Some of these farmers this past election were loudly displaying Biden signs, probably because the tarriffs installed by Trump. Another house, not a farm, displayed huge Biden signs, right on a main corner.

The thing is most people in rural areas can be good people no matter what their political leanings are. I would worry more about if they trespass, steal, or disrespect their neighbor's property and rights.

Every deep red area has a democratic party office, you just have to look for it. So there will always be others around like minded if you simply seek them out and know how to find them.

Finding liberal rural area anywhere in the nation is going to be tough. Which is strange, since small farmers constantly get screwed by Republican policies.

Though they brag about being independent, government subsidies provide about 40% of farm income. Unfortunately, a great deal of this goes to agri-business rather than small farmers. The top 10% get about 60% of the subsidies.

Health insurance was unaffordable for many small farmers before ACA. The children could get on government funded programs, but the adults were out of luck. If they got hurt or sick, they either sucked it up, or went bankrupt paying medical bills.

That said, as you point out even if liberals are in the minority in rural areas, they are there.

Old 11-01-2021, 04:31 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,614,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

Finding liberal rural area anywhere in the nation is going to be tough. Which is strange, since small farmers constantly get screwed by Republican policies.

Though they brag about being independent, government subsidies provide about 40% of farm income. Unfortunately, a great deal of this goes to agri-business rather than small farmers. The top 10% get about 60% of the subsidies.

Health insurance was unaffordable for many small farmers before ACA. The children could get on government funded programs, but the adults were out of luck. If they got hurt or sick, they either sucked it up, or went bankrupt paying medical bills.

That said, as you point out even if liberals are in the minority in rural areas, they are there.
I know! Sometimes people vote against their best interests and don't even realize it.
Did the OP ever find a place?

Old 11-01-2021, 05:24 PM

14,492 posts, read 12,128,212 times
I think rural people mostly get tired of city people telling them what their best interests are.

Old 11-01-2021, 06:09 PM

6,015 posts, read 3,739,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think rural people mostly get tired of city people telling them what their best interests are.
BINGO!

Old 11-06-2021, 06:11 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,893,394 times
The big mistake everyone makes is still believing that politicians will solve problems and make things better. Both sides - conservative and liberal - are guilty of that.

Old 11-06-2021, 08:55 AM

88,594 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
The big mistake everyone makes is still believing that politicians will solve problems and make things better. Both sides - conservative and liberal - are guilty of that.
Not everyone, although I can see where someone might believe that if they spend their days on City-Data's P&OC forum, lol. Many of us live our lives despite politicians and their nonsense. I don't believe a damn thing any of them say, no matter what party they affiliate themselves with. Politicians' first and foremost interest is getting themselves elected, and after that, they focus on getting themselves re-elected. Anything they may accomplish in between is incidental.

My suggestion is that the OP look for places where people are just not too heavily into politics.

Old 11-06-2021, 08:57 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,893,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not everyone, although I can see where someone might believe that if they spend their days on City-Data's P&OC forum, lol. Many of us live our lives despite politicians and their nonsense. I don't believe a damn thing any of them say, no matter what party they affiliate themselves with. Politicians' first and foremost interest is getting themselves elected, and after that, they focus on getting themselves re-elected. Anything they may accomplish in between is incidental.
Yeah, I need to avoid those universal statements correction: MANY people, etc.

Old 11-06-2021, 09:04 AM

88,594 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Yeah, I need to avoid those universal statements correction: MANY people, etc.
Ha, yesterday someone on the R&S forum called me out on a "Many", which I revised to "Some".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living